The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Black Friday

I don't get the appeal...With all the online offers these days, is it really necessary to wake up at 4am and risk death to get a good deal? Oh well, I should probably be more supportive of anything that stimulates the economy, but I just can't get excited about this.

I can, however, enjoy this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07j63YaJvsY

I do not leave the house on Black Friday. I would rather stick needles in my eyes than face down those crowds. It brings out the absolute worst in humanity.

I truly think that Black Friday is the one day of the year when Satan throws open the gates of hell and lets his minions out to roam earth for a day. And for some reason, most of them head for WalMart.

I agree with the gates of hell being opened on Black Friday.

It blows my mind that stores are open on Turkey Day. (Old Navy). I am used to Kmart being open..when I moved into a apt the only store that was open was Kmart. I was very thankful since I lacked SO much stuff.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    I do not leave the house on Black Friday. I would rather stick needles in my eyes than face down those crowds. It brings out the absolute worst in humanity.

I truly think that Black Friday is the one day of the year when Satan throws open the gates of hell and lets his minions out to roam earth for a day. And for some reason, most of them head for WalMart.
    Well said!! Hear hear!!

I would much rather stay home and do my Black Friday/Cyber Monday shopping on Amazon. Fabulous deals, no need to change out of PJs, and getting up at 2:30AM is completely unnecessary. What's not to love?

Too true! I won't even go near a WalMart the other 364 days of the year.

I have to admit though, I was mildly tempted by a radio ad yesterday - a local store is offering $50 gift certificates to the first 20 people through the doors, and that would sure help with my Xmas shopping this year. Just for the sake of curiosity, what time would one have to arrive to be among the first 20 people to a sale that starts at 4am?

I love Black Friday. I love Shopping. 90% of my Black Friday shopping is for myself. I love combat shopping, I consider it an excellent workout and great fun with the right shopping buddy.

I'll be out around 5-6 am, don't need to stand in line for any electronics deals. Although I get the morning off, I have to be at work at 2pm. Luckily I work 2 blocks from Nordstrom
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

I'm not into it. I do think it's pretty terrible that we've experience this "shopping brinksmanship" where stores open earlier and earlier and now on T-day. People actually have to work those hours. Some people like the double time and a half, or whatever, but if you step back and look at it, it's pretty ridiculous. My mom works retail and people have to come in at 1:30 a.m. to "open" the store. Goofy.
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black

There's a woman in my town who has been camping out at the local Best Buy since - wait for it -

Last Saturday. She has a husband and kids, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust View Post
    People actually have to work those hours.
    Some people actually have to work those hours all the time! Personally, I think retail workers have it pretty easy re: reasonable hours and most holidays off. I sure got more sleep and better holiday relief when I worked retail than I do running a horse farm!

There's a woman in my town who has been camping out at the local Best Buy since - wait for it -

Last Saturday. She has a husband and kids, too.
    No! That's just plain freaky.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    Some people actually have to work those hours all the time! Personally, I think retail workers have it pretty easy re: reasonable hours and most holidays off. I sure got more sleep and better holiday relief when I worked retail than I do running a horse farm!
    Retail workers have crappy pay and deal with irrational customers and/or shoplifters on a daily basis. I'm talking about big chain retail stores.

Sometimes they are physically assaulted by customers (my mom was). They are treated like retarded children by the people who run the companies, and are asked to subjugate their dignity to sometimes unreasonable customers pretty regularly. They are measured by numbers, whether or not the measurements are rational. They are asked to spend their holiday season at work by people who are at home with their families during that time. It is a deteriorating industry due to competition being determined by the lowest common denominator.
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    I am one of those people. I work in a 24/7/364 business, no holidays off, and will be working overnight tonight. I'll be going right past some prime gift buying stores on my way home at 6AM, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with other people at that hour, after working 12 hours!

I flatly refuse to to into ANY store, except grocery or pharmacy, after Thanksgiving, unless it is an absolute necessity, like my hair dryer died. In the past I've told family if they do not get their X-mas wish list to me by Halloween, they are going to get a gift card to Land's End and that's it. My brother learned the hard way that I meant it and he doesn't even like Land's End. LOL
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust View Post
    Retail workers have crappy pay and deal with irrational customers and/or shoplifters on a daily basis. I'm talking about big chain retail stores.

Sometimes they are physically assaulted by customers (my mom was). They are treated like retarded children by the people who run the companies, and are asked to subjugate their dignity to sometimes unreasonable customers pretty regularly. They are measured by numbers, whether or not the measurements are rational. They are asked to spend their holiday season at work by people who are at home with their families during that time. It is a deteriorating industry due to competition being determined by the lowest common denominator.
    Yes...and due to much of what you mention above, I am self-employed these days and not working retail! However, I found your earlier post a bit ironic, as the only thing I do miss about working retail is the hours!

Oh, to be done working at 5pm and not have to think about work til 9 the next morning! 5 hour shifts? 8 hour shifts? Hell, 10 hour shifts - pure bliss! Paid vacation time! Closed on Christmas Day! And never woken up in the middle of the night with a life-or-death retail emergency!
    Last edited by Vandy; Nov. 25, 2010 at 04:21 PM.

I used to work retail and didn't mind the hours. It was a part time job on top of my full time job.

The part that I really disliked was pushing the credit cards. I know that is how they make money but I don't like pushing them.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

I MAY go to the Coach store at midnight.... that's about it.