The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need makeup help

All you makeup fashionistas, I need help with eyeliner. I love the colored pencils, but have found no way to sharpen them so that there is not a needle sharp wood point sticking my eyelid. I have tried every kind of sharpener.

Crayons are too blunt, and I don't want to go back to the little brush dabbed in the cake liner I used in college (but might have to). So I use the boring bladk and brown Mabeline retractable pencils which are the only one soft enough to actually make a line - the colored retractable pencils I have bought seem too hard to work. I did buy one '24 hour' eyeliner liquid wand thing at a horse show, but it really smells strong when applied, and can't be good for the eyelid skin, then you have to hold your eye shut while it dries. Yuck.

I am one of those no-color face people who needs eye liner, and owning a horse property, I am cheap when it comes to things for me, not the horses.

What do you alll use?
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Could you make the needle-sharp point and then nip the tip off with a nail clipper or scissors? Or maybe run it across an unwanted emery board to wear down that sharp point?

FYI, these are suggestions from the uninitiated. I fail at makeup, so I only use mascara and lip gloss, and those only on special occasions.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I am a eyeliner addict.

My favorite is the Maybelline Line Stylist. Their Unstoppable is good also. I never am without eyeliner, and these are my favorite two- even compared to more expensive ones.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Why not soften the eyeliner pencil with a match. Be careful not to let it get too hot or too soft. Hold the match a foot or so under the eye pencil for a few seconds, let the pencil cool before using and test first on the back of your hand. I like to soften the look of an eyeliner line (I use liquid) by blotting over it with some eye shadow with a small angled brush. Am also a big fan of blending to remove excess and soften any harshness.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cranky View Post
    Why not soften the eyeliner pencil with a match. Be careful not to let it get too hot or too soft. Hold the match a foot or so under the eye pencil for a few seconds, let the pencil cool before using and test first on the back of your hand. I like to soften the look of an eyeliner line (I use liquid) by blotting over it with some eye shadow with a small angled brush. Am also a big fan of blending to remove excess and soften any harshness.
    Oooh, would a hair dryer work?
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

I use MAC and Shisheido.

Eyeliners from the drugstore are absolute garbage compared to the higher-end stuff.

I use MAC Liquid Last, and it smudges fabulously with just your fingertip when it's wet. Once it's set it's not going anywhere.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

A hair dryer would probably work. I have only had your problem with el cheapo eyeliner, so although you claim to be "cheap", maybe it's time to treat yourself! I love MAC eyeliner, and have never had an eyelid-stabbing problem using it In the meantime, try rubbing the tip on the back of your hand a bit to wear down the point. Good luck!

Ditto TC. The more expensive brands are not that hard.

What is MAC?

Clinique gel eyeliner. Comes in a little jar, you need a good angled brush to put it on. You can put on a little or a lot and it does not run.

I can show in it in 100 degree heat and it stays in place. Colors are a bit boring, browns and greys, but I will take that for the trade off of makeup that stays in place.

I use a hair dryer to warm my eyeliner... you can also just rub it between two fingers for a few seconds, but then you have to wipe the eyeliner off of two fingers. d; The hair dryer works great though.

If I want to make a more dramatic eyeliner/shadow, the best stuff on earth is Smith's Rosebud Salve. First off, it's amazing as a lip balm and for really chapped skin, and it also works on pimples. Secondly, if you mix a little bit of any pigmented makeup--eyeliner, lipliner, lipstick, etc.--with Rosebud Salve, you then get a shiny, spreadable version of that pigment. I mix it with lipstick to make a cream blush, or with eyeshadow or liner to make a smoky eye look.

Forget the political threads, here's where the action will be
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

^^^ hahaha! Well, I donno, the previous makeup thread implosions usually begin with makeup tips for riding in shows. Then it's 'why should we have to worry/wtf would you care when riding horses?!' and theeeen it's "why should women even have to wear makeup at all!"

So maybe if we keep the horseback riding application out of the equation, it won't progress like that?

As far as the OP- I agree with the more expensive brands being better for application. The only eyeliner i've had that hurts/is uncomfortable to apply is the cheaper stuff. Now I'm completely clueless on which brands I have, but I know one's from the drug store (not super cheap- probably cost $9ish) and one's from a department store. Both apply just fine!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

horsefaerie - MAC Cosmetics

I use Mabelline eye pencils that you can sharpen very very easily. You just buy a sharpener at any Walmart, Walgreens or any makeup store. One tip to help you look for pencils that have the rubber smudger on the end those usually apply very well so you don't have to warm them at all to apply and then you can smudge them nicely to soften the line. Happy makeuping

Cheap eyeliner sucks. I am in love with Urban Decay- and they sell the sharpiner that works with it. It's soo soft and smudgeable, but it still sharpens easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateer View Post
    My favorite is the Maybelline Line Stylist.
    I use this kind as well and I'm very picky about my eyeliner.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I use the Unstoppable stuff. I like it for what I need. I LOVE makeup but am so bad at finding what I like/applying it correctly. Friends swear by the Urban decay and some stuff that starts in an 's'. Cant for the life of me remember...

And while we're at it, any good foundations for oily skin? I found a few but i do have a couple dry spits and they really show the occasional flakiness, .

Quote Originally Posted by Myalterfornow View Post
    I use the Unstoppable stuff. I like it for what I need. I LOVE makeup but am so bad at finding what I like/applying it correctly. Friends swear by the Urban decay and some stuff that starts in an 's'. Cant for the life of me remember...

And while we're at it, any good foundations for oily skin? I found a few but i do have a couple dry spits and they really show the occasional flakiness, .
    Do you use a primer? I find those are helpful.

I only use some clinique stuff with a green cap. Only stuff that doesnt make me break out like a 13 year old.

Good pencil eyeliner... not uber cheap, but worth it: Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner. Can go for months without using it and it's still perfectly soft.

I'm not a fan of pencil anymore and go with liquid.

Good $ stuff, NARS liquid felt tip marker eyeliner. Only liquid eyeliner NARS sells, so easy to find!

Good cheapo stuff, CoverGirl Exact Lash and L'Oreal Voluminous marker. Both easy enough to apply.