The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default Spinoff- where do you find nice/dressier clothes on a budget?

I am a huge fan of T.J. Maxx and Marshall's and my favorite color is on sale. Where else do you go for bargains on clothes?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Honestly, I love thrift stores. I go to Goodwill, and always find nice things. They just opened a couple of large Goodwill stores near me, and I've always had good luck finding nicer non-barn clothes for super cheap.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

I always go to the consignment stores in Palm Beach when I get to Florida. My son lives just 30 miles north of Wellington so I go down a lot in the winter.

I have gotten some really great designer clothing at rock bottom prices. Some stuff still has the original tags on it. Purchased but never worn. Got a brand new pair of Ferragamo pumps for $50.

Kohl's is nice. They usually have sales on and give out and mail lots of coupons.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Thrift stores!

You do have to know which are the good ones, though.

My best recent find is a navy Yves St. Laurent blazer (would retail for, what, $1000??) for $20.

Another vote for consignment stores. I hit one in Colorado a few years ago and got an amazing Banana Republic wool coat for $12. I've gotten many other great brands for a steal, too.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Ebay! I have found some killer deals on designer clothing on ebay! I just purchased a vintage escada blazer for $29.99. The original price tag was still on it. . . $1250! I get my purses and shoes on ebay for a fraction of their normal cost. I'm incredibly frugal and I hate shopping in the stores. This is a perfect way to get great stuff for super prices!!!!!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

Nordstrom Rack and Ross Dress For Less. I had to dress professionally for many years and could find killer deals at these two stores.

Ralph Lauren on Ebay
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

There are also some great warehouse outlets for stores like Talbots (near Atlanta). They are not the usual outlets, but are actually no frills warehouses with zero amenities (some don't even have dressing rooms-you wear very tight clothes and try clothes on over them). You have to sort through tons of junk, but it can really be worth it.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

JanM- is this the outlet that is/was in front of Gwinett Place mall or somewhere else?

I find good deals shopping the clearance racks at department stores. Not always in season, but if it is timeless not trendy it pays to shop for the next season.

T.J.MAxx and Marshalls for my everyday stuff and Neiman Marcus Last Call for anything dressy!!! My best find was probably the $2,400 Lanvin suit that I got for $40, but I have also seen $3,000 gowns for under $50 on occasion. I also buy most of my cashmere items and dresses there. Love that store!

Church run thrift stores have great dressier stuff. The nice church ladies don't want to bring in junk and the money always goes to a good cause. I have found lots of designer stuff in church thrift stores.

Nordstrom Rack, TJ Maxx if you can stomach it, etc. The problem with discount stores is the wading through racks of chaotic clothing.

Ann Taylor Outlet!!!!!

Or any thrift store in an upscale area.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateer View Post
    Or any thrift store in an upscale area.
    The "upscale area" part is the key, and something I love to do when traveling. Amazing what you can find!

Is Filene's Basement still around back east? I was disappointed to learn the store near my mom in NJ had closed - hopefully the original Boston one is still going strong? My best find there was a black velvet Chanel skirt with the $2,600 pricetag still on it...paid $50.

I went into a Steinmart yesterday for the first time. It's about six steps above TJ Maxx, with lots of good quality stuff mixed in with lots less junk. I found a suede blazer, very cute styling, for $35.00.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

If you're a little more interested in other than the usual, check out this website: http://www.modcloth.com/

Cool stuff and some real bargains, too.

Nordstrom Rack is my godsend.

Great prices, great brands, and amazing finds! I'd say probably 1/3 of my wardrobe is from there. Love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

Ebay and Marshall's- plus I travel to Wellington, FL twice a year for work- their Goodwill is fantastic!!
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain