The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where have all the good clothes gone?

Starting my xmas shopping early this year, trying DESPERATELY to break my habit of shopping xmas eve, and then wanting to curl up and die due to the spectacular display of idiots out and about.

Ahem. So, at the mall last night, couldn't help but notice the ridiculousness of clothing nowadays. Jeggings (WTF?!), the flat suede boots (Peter Pan Getaway boots) wearing tights as pants (Don't those go under dresses!?) and a plethora of other horribleness.....

I was keeping half an eye out for myself, as I'm needing some new jeans, and wow, was I disappointed. I normally wear flares, or bootcut, and am a 31 wist and 35 inseam. All I could find were small sizes like 26, 28, and flipping jeggins or skinny jeans. NOBODY wants to see my a$$ in skinny jeans, now that's a crime.

I asked at several stores if they had anything with a bit of a flare, and I was met by disgusted looks and "flares are so out, we don't sell them here" from sales people. I realize trends change, but just because they have skinny jeans, does not mean everyone should wear them. Where are all the normal clothes?

Just wanted to get that out. Anyone else feel the same?

For regular plain jeans, I like Rugged Warehouse, for about $10/pair. You don't want to see my butt in skinny jeans either!

Why do fat people insist on wearing "skinny" jeans? And often accompanied by a big wide belt that accentuates what doesn't need attention called to it?? Aaaaaaaagh!!!!!

Where are you shopping? I've had no issue finding boot cut jeans. I've found nice jeans at Macy's, Eddie Bauer, and White House|Black Market. Granted, WHBM jeans might be a little "trendier" and pricier, but they're not teeny bopper trendy and are made more for grown-ups.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

I agree with some nasty styles out there, but when I go clothes shopping, I never have a problem finding a million things I want Maybe you are shopping at the wrong place? But then again, I live in Santa Fe, land of ridiculous shopping. It probably helps that the average age here is a long way from teenager. But since I generally can't afford to do anything more than browse at the boutiques here, there's always TJ Maxx/Ross/Marshalls. Have you tried those yet? I go through jeans like nobody's business, and they still have lots of flare/bootcut/non skinny stuff. No one wants to see me in the skinny stuff either.

I have done a lot of traveling in the past month, and the airports made for REALLY good people watching re: fashion (I don't get out much ) What shocked me was people wearing not leggings but TIGHTS with a shirt that didn't cover what it should have. I mean, a button-down shirt with TIGHTS? Did you forget the skirt? Scary.

I'm opposite: I want skinny or straight leg jeans. Keep those bootcuts AWAY from me. Truthfuly, I prefer straight to skinny - I have muscular legs and some brands' skinny don't fit right.

See, I am short, with a short torso to boot. So I like low rise as well because it elongates, though not so low I'm showing butt crack. But GAH, trying to find the right combination is MURDER. Everything is friggin' bootcut. Or the waist is wrong.

And WTF is with those "boyfriend" jeans that look like they've traveled cross country on the floor of a loaded six-horse trailer?

What is worse (at least to me) are the colours. Everything is flowere horizontal stripes or those drab Martha Stewart colours or black or white. I have been looking for a couple of good sweaters, and absolutely NOTHING that isn't garish, colours I cannot wear or just plain FUGLY. The colour trend gets worse with larger sizes which are essential to go over the 'shelf', speaking of which, even undergarments are now garish. BLAH
    No problem with pants but I haven't really looked beyond the sweat pants racks, but if those skinny legs that require foot greasing to get the feet through the legs are back, so are the super high waists which button nicely around my armpits.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I live in Canada....Where the shopping sucks

I have to try everything on, otherwise I'd buy online and eliminate the hassle. Hoping to take a trip to either Buffalo or Grove City in the next few weeks, maybe I'll have better luck shopping there.

I also hate skinny jeans. I am not a 14 year old boy and don't want to look like one either. My favorite jeans are Anne Taylor Loft Curvy Bootcut. I have wide hips compared to my waist size, and other jeans tend to slide down to my hips. The curvy style is the only one I've found that stays right where I want it, slightly below my waist.

My current complaint is the proliferation of very deep V neck tops and sweaters that give everyone a nice free show of the girls. Finding a top that does not require a tank or camisole underneath is a pain. I don't care what they wear on Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice or The Office, it's just not a good look in real life.

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

For jeans, go to the largest Western store you can find. Boot cuts are still big, and Wrangler has many womens' styles in short/med/long porportions. The mid rise waist can still be found there. Aaannd, many are stretch denim that doesn't look wonky.

Also for forgiving jeans and just plain nice clothes, Coldwater Creek is still great, and seems to be getting more practical vs former party and cruise wear.
    Last edited by Plumcreek; Nov. 25, 2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: edited for stretch
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Ditto AT curvy bootcut jeans. I am a small size (2-4), but very curvy; in the smaller sizes they assume you also have no hips. Finding jeans and pants has always been a challenge for me, regardless of size. I never seem to fit the current trendy "cut".

Ann Taylor loft seems to have clothes that don't make me look like an old woman OR a teenager, and they have more casual and more "dressy" options.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Quote Originally Posted by Plumcreek View Post
    For jeans, go to the largest Western store you can find. Boot cuts are still big, and Wrangler has many womens' styles in short/med/long porportions. The mid rise waist can still be found there.
    I *never* thought I'd wear Wranglers, but found a pair on sale and they are now my very favorite jeans! I didn't realize til recently that Wrangler made anything but basic cowboy jeans - nothing wrong with that, but not my style. I have a lot of trouble finding jeans that are stylish yet without butt cleavage that are actually long enough for me, and the Wranglers are the best yet! Love them!

Thrift stores, baby!!!! We have a couple of good ones in town and I literally buy ALL my clothes there. I've bought BRAND new Lucky jeans & Levi jeans for around 10- 15 bucks. I've also found gorgeous handknit wool sweaters, almost new Columbia jackets, etc. If you find a good thrift store you'll never go back to retail!

I buy my jeans from the Gap or Banana Republic, when I have good coupons. They fit me well, are quality and have the super extra long inseams. They're worth paying the $35-40 per pair.

I desperately want a pair of semi-flat soled boots to wear with straight (not skinny jeggings crap) jeans in the winter. I've found the jeans, just need to find the right boots.

I just think a lot of people need a lesson in what fits and flatters their body type. I'm convinced watching 'What not to wear' has helped me :-)
    Worry, doubt, fear and despair are the enemies which slowly bring us down to the ground and turn us to dust before we die.

~ Douglas MacArthur

OK, midrise western store jeans that are boot cut:

Cruel Girl - Dakota, stretch, slim and relaxed fit 30 - 38 inseam
    Cruel Girl - Original Performance Rise, no stretch, straight leg, 30 - 38 inseam
    Cruel Girl - Rachael, mid rise,slim or relaxed, straignt leg stretch
    Wrangler - Jet, minimal stretch, bootcut
    Wrangler - Aura instantly slimming jeans, mid rise, boot cut, 30 - 34 inseam

See these jeans in the Rods catalog - http://www.rods.com/Ladies-Western-Jeans.html
    Public service acccomplished - time to set up horses and dress to GO OUT to dinner.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

The gap still makes a bootcut "sexyboot". You may have to order that inseam online though. AE makes a nice bootcut also. And Ive seen plenty at nordstrom.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateer View Post
    AE makes a nice bootcut also.
    Oh yeah, and AE has super long inseams too! I'd forgotten about them because the AE store at the mall near me closed

i got an awesome pair at walmart there a slimming jean,comes in a couple rises. i think there Levis. and i'm in Canada. also Marks work warehouse has some but there more expensive.

Think Walmart carries Lee jeans, not Levi's. They also have their own brand called Faded Glory. If you're near an outlet mall, look for VF Outlet store.
    Besides Vanity Fair products, they carry jeans, jeans and more jeans--Lee,
    Wrangler.

I'm on the fluffy side, large hips, smaller waist. Due to lymphadema in one leg following knee surgery about 5 years ago, fitting my left calf has become
    a challenge. Boot cuts used to work but some are cut for a tighter fit. A lot of the straight cuts fit better. Like the fuller leg as it balances out the fanny.
    The skinny jeans tired to raise their heads several years ago and promptly disappeared. Now they are baaaackkk again and seeing them in the women's sizes--are they nuts?
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

AE still sells flares, and so does NY and Co. The latter are a bit pricey (I think) but I got two pairs for the price of one in a sale this summer, so it was reasonable. If flares ever go so out of fashion that they stop selling them ... I suppose I'll have to live in tall boots because I abhor the look of straight jeans, even on skinny people. One of which I am not. *shudder* I also will never pretend to understand the obsession with ballet flats...
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

Ann Taylor Loft. End of thread.