The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default so are you always running late, early or just on time

I've been wanting to post this for some time, so I figured on a day that many of us are either going somewhere or waiting for family to come to us it was approopriate.

So when having to get to work, the barn, and appointment, get together or life in general.

Are you always running late, get their early or arrive just at the time designated.

My father was always a "get there a bit early" kind of guy. I get that from him. For 25 years he taught an 8 AM class at Cornell. While I have learned over the years, itstill drives me nuts about the rest of my family (siblings and mom, dad is deceased). They are always and I mean always late. If they say something will be at 2pm, that's what I plan for-even with a family of my own, a large farm etc. Their idea of 2PM is 4:30.

I have learned if they are coming to my house I tell them to come MUCH earlier than I expect them to come b/c I know they'll be late.

It's the thing that probably stresses me out the most at times, being late. The other day I am very glad I planned to go early to a meeting in another state b/c on the way there, there was a huge accident on the highway. Had I left "with just enough time to get there". I would have been terribly late. That would not have made a good impression on a client! Sure there are life's mishaps but I mean chronically.

So, how do you run through your life?

Always "a bit early".
    Makes life much easier on all.
    Then, most I know tend to cut it short and be somewhat late regularly.
    That is ok, as long as I am not late.

I wonder some times, if you live close to where everything is, if getting there tight of time is more normal than if you live far off, where you have to budget your time better or easily be made late by circumstances more apt to catch up with you, more traffic to maybe delay you and such, so you give yourself more time.

I understand each one of us live by our own standards and all adjust best we may.

I'm an early type too. I hate being late.

To the point that on the rare occasion I am late people say "what the hell is wrong with you- you're always early".

or "well she must not be coming, she's always 20 minutes early".

I think I get it from my parents who viewed time as, oh, optional.

I would tell them I had to be at school for the band concert at 6:45 knowing that was the only way to get there by 7, the actual appointed time.

Once I was under my own steam, dammit, I'm not going to be late.

Plus in pony club and eventing if you're late, you're eliminated. So that wasn't going to happen!

I like being on time, so I try to be a bit early (in case of accidents, traffic, whatever), but I have been known to circle the block for a bit if I was "too" early, so I'd been pretty much on time.

Years ago, my Grandmother on big meal days like Thanksgiving used to give out different times for dinner, depending on whom she was talking too. She'd tell me the correct time. Mom would get 30 minutes from correct time. One aunt would get an hour and a half from correct time. She had us all down precisely, and everybody would be there on time for a dinner with no delays.

I've gone through phases on this. Growing up, I was a little early or at worst on time. That lasted all the way through college and into my early work years.

Then I hit a phase where I got depressed, and without meaning to, starting arriving late for everything. It drove me insane, but I didn't seem to be able to focus well enough to get places on time.

Now I'm back to right on time, trying to move back to a little early, as it does take some stress out of life.

But wanted to share, as if a friend or relative who used to be prompt starts driving you nuts with chronic lateness, consider it a possibility that they are struggling with something like depression.

Always early. Always. I've lived by the mantra 'If you're early, you're on time, if you're on time, you're late, and if you're late, don't bother showing up.'

Then again, it doesn't hurt that both my parents were in the Air Force and they drilled timeliness into us. When we took family road trips/vacations, we left at whatever time, SHARP.
    Last edited by Hunter Princess; Nov. 25, 2010 at 09:02 AM.
    Worry, doubt, fear and despair are the enemies which slowly bring us down to the ground and turn us to dust before we die.

~ Douglas MacArthur

I'm thrilled if I'm right on time but generally I'm late. I find I'm only motivated to rush if the time has slipped by and now I'm crunched.

I blame it on my always late family. I have vivid memories of my dad driving us at warp speed down the mountain roads trying to catch the school bus while schoolmates pressed their faces against the back windows laughing. The chase sometimes went on for miles.

I grew up with people who thought that punctuality was optional--and that everyone should be happy to wait until they were ready to show up. So I am obsessively on time or early. All my friends know that if I'm late something must have gone distastrously wrong because otherwise it isn't going to happen.

Now that I'm an adult I don't deal with the passive aggressive manipulation of people who can't be bothered to be on time. Either my company is important to you or not. If it is, show me the respect of being on time. And if it's not, let's not bother to be friends.

Way to say it, LaurieB! I think constantly being late is the ultimate in disrespect. It clearly says "I don't think that your time is important".

I try to be on time or early and usually do fine. My brother has a tendency to be late, so I just factor that into plans.

My mom was always notoriously at least 15 min late. When I was younger, I started telling my mom that we had to be places to meet people (school trips, Girl Scout events) 15 min to a half hour earlier than scheduled. One day, when I was about 18, we ACTUALLY left the house on time...she got to where she was dropping me off and wondered where everyone was. So I told her what I had been doing and she was SO MAD at me...oh well.. it worked and I was about to get out of the house and not need her for a ride anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Princess View Post
    Always early. Always. I've lived by the mantra 'If you're early, you're on time, if you're on time, you're late, and if you're late, don't bother showing up.'
    This If I get stuck in major traffic or something I absolutely panic and start freaking out about being late. My Dad is the same way. Mom's family though I'm always the first to arrive for holidays. I've gotten to the point now where I don't make a big effort to get there at the appointed time since no one else is there yet My sorority operates on "Delta Gamma Time" where everyone is always late. It annoys me to no end.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Quote Originally Posted by skyy View Post
    Way to say it, LaurieB! I think constantly being late is the ultimate in disrespect. It clearly says "I don't think that your time is important".
    I agree. My husband, however, disagrees, and although I'm one of those people who likes to be everywhere early, I am not capable of forcing a full grown man out the door when it's time to go.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I always seem to find just one more little thing to do on my way out the door! My husband is always early/punctual, so it helps when we go somewhere together. I am always a teeny bit late or just on time.
    I guess, growing up in the city of Reims (France), I learned that if you arrived on time at a dinner party.... you were rude! The hostess always counted on a 15 minute delay, "le quart d'heure rémois"!

Perpetually early. It's a major respect issue for me, plus it leaves me so much less stressed. Of course there are situations (like parties) where being early is frowned upon, but in most all situations--school, work, riding lessons, meetings, etc., being 5-10 minutes early or at least punctual is how I roll!

I am always late, despite my best intentions. My parents were always early for everything, unless I was with them. Then they were late.

I have learned to pick late classes in school, since th earlier they start, the later I will be

For work, I'm always early. Everything else- just barely on time or slightly late.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I have a gift of being either ten minutes early or five minutes late- very rarely exactly on time.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
    I grew up with people who thought that punctuality was optional--and that everyone should be happy to wait until they were ready to show up. So I am obsessively on time or early. All my friends know that if I'm late something must have gone distastrously wrong because otherwise it isn't going to happen.

Now that I'm an adult I don't deal with the passive aggressive manipulation of people who can't be bothered to be on time. Either my company is important to you or not. If it is, show me the respect of being on time. And if it's not, let's not bother to be friends.
    You took the words right out of my mouth. People who are chronically late are about the most rude people on the planet. The world revolves around them and their time schedule and the rest of the world be damned. It's a total lack of respect for others.

Everyone can be late occasionally - crap happens. I'm obsessively early. I stress to the max if I'm going to be late. It was the way I was raised, I suppose. Have respect for others and be on time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayside View Post
    I agree. My husband, however, disagrees, and although I'm one of those people who likes to be everywhere early, I am not capable of forcing a full grown man out the door when it's time to go.
    Leave without him...

And, don't make excuses for him when you arrive where you're going.