The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The College of William and Mary

I'm a senior in high school and have applied Early Decision to W&M! The admissions office said they would mail out letters the first week of December, and I'm praying I'll get in as it's my #1 choice! Has anyone else on here graduated from W&M? Or really, I'd just love to hear anyones experiences with the school.

Thanks! (& Happy Thanksgiving!)

My sister-in-law is a freshman at William & Mary. She got in via early admission last year. Send me a PM with your email and I'll pass it on to her. She can probably answer any questions you may have since she's just gone through the same process (and got in! )

Thank you Lieselotte! Sending you a PM!

I know several people (including my father) who attended W&M. GREAT school, beautiful campus! You will be very fortunate indeed to go there. Good luck!

I know several people (including my father) who attended W&M. GREAT school, beautiful campus! You will be very fortunate indeed to go there. Good luck!
    Thank you!

One of my best friends from high school goes there and is in a sorority as well as the sailing team. Absolutely adores the school and is always singing it's praises. She got in off the wait list and is glad it worked out!

Surprisingly my best friend and roommate's brother goes there also and also really adores it.

I can say though, you'll be studying a lot! (but apparently it's worth it!)
    Oh Sweetheart
    Make A Splash
    The Adventures of a College Equestrian

Great school. Great town.
    Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

I did not go to William and Mary but lived in Williamsburg for 17 years. It is an easy town to navigate around the college is the apple of the towns eye. Pretty safe for a college town and awfully pretty.

There are a couple barns up in Toano which have nice riding programs so you don't have to give up horses while your in school.

Good luck!

I can't thank you all enough! I'd heard this kind of praise for W&M before, but only at the school itself and in college books! It makes me even more nervous/excited for the letter to come... Starting Dec. 1 I think I'll be stalking my mailbox on whenever possible...

There are a couple barns up in Toano which have nice riding programs so you don't have to give up horses while your in school.
    SLW, thanks for this! I'm planning on joining IHSA, but I couldn't find much about barns in the area. I won't be able to have a horse in college, but it's great that there are nice programs in the area.

Default Go Tribe!

William and Mary grad via early acceptance 1979 here - loved it - BTW the Tribe is # 2 in the country in the non bowl division football playoffs.

Hubby from W and M is happy! So I can ride more.

I went there. Class of 86. My daughter, who is a junior there, will graduate in 2012. It is beautiful, full of funny, geeky people who are pretty open minded. I was not as happy as my DD there...you have to work hard. You can go greek or not and be happy either way. Small classes. You will know your professors. Most folks live on campus all 4 years. Big push to go abroad to study at some point but not mandatory. Clubs, teams, groups for just about every hobby/sport (including riding). PM me if you want to know specifics. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoy the rest of your senior year. This college stuff is challenging, but hopefully you will know soon! Go Tribe!

I think? my daughter still has a membership here on COTH....I'll ask her later when she's up ( (home on thanksgiving!) and direct her here so she can PM you.
    She's a senior, will graduate this may, and has been on the riding team (and held offices) since making the team as a freshman. She's also a tour guide for the college!!!
    She also has a good knowledge of Williamsburg even outside of the school, as my mom lives there, and she's known the area via Grandma since she was born!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Class of 1998, and my husband graduated in 1997. It's a wonderful school. It's very intense, but you will still have a lot of fun, and once you get through there, you can make it anywhere. My husband is getting his Ph.D. there and teaching a class every other semester. He says the students are still as driven and smart as they were when we were there.

Yes, there are tourists who occasionally wander into the campus, but remember, they are more afraid of you than you are of them.

I think there are more barns around Williamsburg now than when I was in school. I didn't ride when I was there, and left my dressage horse at home with my trainer.
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

Class of 1997 (what up Foxhound??). It was a very good experience. A big adjustment since I'm from Brooklyn! When I first arrived all the people saying "hi" on the street freaked me out. LOL.

Anyway I was very involved with the Theater Department, IHSA team & the newspaper. The College can be a little boring at times in terms of "stereotypical partying" but if that is not your thing (and it isn't my thing at all) you won't care. There are a lot of interesting things always going on, from performances, to speakers, to sports events, to just bitching about things with the people on your hall.

It can be academically intense compared to most schools. A 4.0 is pretty much unheard of, so if you are used to getting all A's, get emotionally ready for your first B's. They can hit people really hard in their first semester, especially if you've always been "the smart one" in your community. The great thing about W&M is it is filled with those smart kids!!

Williamsburg has expanded a lot in the outskirts (the historical part of town is never-changing of course). Where they put the Lowes used to be the barn where I rode

It RAINS A LOT in the spring. I mean like every single day from Feb-March some years. Also, the pollen situation can be extreme when the pine trees do their thing. By extreme I mean pollen hangs visibly in the air, collects in puddles and destroys the finish on your car! If you have severe pollen allergies, make a game plan with your doctor. Most of the time the weather is pretty moderate, aside from the rain thing.
    Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

Wow! Thank you everyone for everything! I honestly didn't expect this much response! ayrabz, it would be great to talk to your daughter about the current IHSA team.

Yes, there are tourists who occasionally wander into the campus, but remember, they are more afraid of you than you are of them.
    I've heard a story that some tourists wandered into the president's office asking if it was part of the tour. They had no clue it was part of the college!

It was a very good experience. A big adjustment since I'm from Brooklyn! When I first arrived all the people saying "hi" on the street freaked me out. LOL.

Thank you everyone and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Hey, BlueBob----just sent you a PM. Daughter is back on campus, but wanted me to pm you her email addy so you guys could communicate!

Anyway...check your PMs, I just sent it.

)
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

So jealous! I did not attend school there, but I sure would have loved to! Beautiful town and campus.

I'm am watching the Steeler's game and our head coach, Mike Tomlin, is a W&M grad!

One of my best friends just married a W&M alum! He absolutely loved it there... in fact, the wedding was in Wren Chapel on the W&M campus. It's a beautiful place.

Since the gentleman in question now has a doctorate in economics and is a professor, I'd hazard that the undergrad academic experience was pretty solid.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

I got kicked out in 1969.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloAgain View Post
    Where they put the Lowes used to be the barn where I rode .
    You rode at Betty Dyes "Cedar Valley Farm" didn't you?? Her son and I showed together back in the 70's. I remember when Lightfoot was waaaaaaay out in the country and Toano, where I rode, well you practically needed a passport to drive out there.