The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Awful Library Books (yes, HR)

http://awfullibrarybooks.net/

I read "A Very Young Rider" over and over as a kid. Looking back at the page they show, I can see how it might not be the best thing for kids to read (just that part of it, IIRC, the rest of it was fine).

The "George" she mentions is, of course, George Morris.
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

maybe there should be parents to talk about the book with the kids?

Not to hijack the thread but that is a great website! Did you watch the Jimmy Kimmel video? Thank you for sharing.
    Member of Book Worms Clique and proud member of INCREDIBLE INVISIBLES.
    Mr Wigglebottom 1999-2010. Once in a lifetime cat. Much loved, much missed.

Love that website!

One library I worked at got a series of "breed" books--Quarter horse, Standardbred, Thoroughbred (not sure on these but you get the idea). The one I remember is the Lipizzaner. It told how they're famous in the Spanish Riding School, excel at dressage, with lovely photos of a woman all done up in shadbelly and top hat, riding around in proper dressage saddle and full bridle.

Then it said the Lipizzaner can be versatile, too, and jump, with a picture of the same woman in same clothing and same tack, taking the horse over a 3' jump.

When I pointed this out to my supervisor, she said, "But not everyone knows as much about horses as you do--they won't notice."

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

The Red Tide.

Lovely looking book and I was given it as a gift when I was a kid. But gosh someone should have looked inside the cover! It was about three kids who rode their ponies flat out on the beach, until one day a younger kid was playing in the sand and half buried himself. Older kids on flat out ponies run over younger, playing in the sand, kid, hence the red tide
    Not nice

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
    http://awfullibrarybooks.net/

I read "A Very Young Rider" over and over as a kid. Looking back at the page they show, I can see how it might not be the best thing for kids to read (just that part of it, IIRC, the rest of it was fine).

The "George" she mentions is, of course, George Morris.
    I loved that book!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tikihorse2 View Post
    One library I worked at got a series of "breed" books--Quarter horse, Standardbred, Thoroughbred (not sure on these but you get the idea). The one I remember is the Lipizzaner. It told how they're famous in the Spanish Riding School, excel at dressage, with lovely photos of a woman all done up in shadbelly and top hat, riding around in proper dressage saddle and full bridle.

Then it said the Lipizzaner can be versatile, too, and jump, with a picture of the same woman in same clothing and same tack, taking the horse over a 3' jump.

When I pointed this out to my supervisor, she said, "But not everyone knows as much about horses as you do--they won't notice."

Kim
    What about the rather obvious irony that women were not allowed until recently to train at the Spanish Riding School?

I guess this could qualify for the title series known as "Riding for Susceptbile Dummies", as opposed to just plain "Dummies".
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    What about the rather obvious irony that women were not allowed until recently to train at the Spanish Riding School?

I guess this could qualify for the title series known as "Riding for Susceptbile Dummies", as opposed to just plain "Dummies".
    See, you learn new things every day. I didn't know that...

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

LoLoLoL!!!!! I LOVED that book and rented it out no less tham twenty times from the school library!!!! Oh how I wished that was me in that book!!!!

And I had no clue "George" was the "George"

"I have to watch my weight now a little bit. You don’t want to get too heavy for your pony. There’s nothing uglier than a fat rider on a horse.”

^ too funny!

How about "A Horse Around the House". Quite the "how to" book in its day. A go to book on how to maintain your horse at home withour outside help. No stall workers or grooms around. Mom and daughter in flare leg breeches and jodphur boots, doing stall work with their little babuskas on their heads- protecting the "do", no doubt. Pretty awful, but one of the first books I was given when I was a kid. Luckily, now, my library director( and boss) is a horsewoman, too, so we have a pretty good and informative collection of horse related books- non fiction , of course. Still have the 'saddle Club" and Pony Pals for the younger set, and Dick Francis, of course.

^I had the 2nd edition of A Horse Around the House and it just has pen-and-ink or pencil illustrations that are actually pretty good and at times (intentionally) humorous. I still think that's one of the most thorough horse care books around. I wish I had gotten the 3rd edition that came out in the late '90s or early '00s. But I mean, it's _really_ thorough, down to the exact order and manner in which to use your grooming tools. And don't forget, if you have dirt stall floors, you must dig up your floors and replace the dirt at the recommended intervals for parasite control .... Let's see, I just checked, and it's 10 inches of dirt dug out and replaced every year. Umm, okay, haven't quite kept up with that schedule!

Back to A Very Young Rider, I do hate to see such an overall good book chucked even with the weight-loss statement. Though keeping a healthy weight is important and it is important not to be oversized for your mount, the "ugly" comment was over the top. But the book does convey all the work that is required to keep a horse and so forth. But obviously there's no way to ensure that an adult is there to discuss the body image stuff. Sigh. Wouldn't have minded picking up the library discard though!