The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fundraising ideas

Hi all,
    I'm an ambassador and representative for JustWorld International* and just went to one of our project sites for the first time. I spent a week down in Guatemala learning about the culture down there, meeting the kids down there who spend time at the project, and also got the opportunity to sit on some nice horses.

*For those of you who have not heard of JustWorld before, please allow me to explain. JustWorld is a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization similar to Habitat for Humanities. We have projects in Senegal, Honduras, Guatemala, Brazil, and Cambodia and do everything from building hospitals to schools, mobile libraries, hygiene projects, food drives, and more. The website is www.justworldinternational.org (if you want to learn more).

Putting names and faces to a project really motivated me to up my fundraising goals and I'm trying to think of creative ways to do so (not just the typical bake sale-esque type drive). I paired up with another ambassador around Halloween and organized a costume class at a local show, which raised over $600. Does anyone have ideas about other creative ways to raise money?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to your suggestions!

Edited to add pictures of one little girl who I just completely fell in love with: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5753607_n.jpg
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1937617_n.jpg (she got tired, haha!)

Approach businesses and companies to match the results of one of your events and make it a big public one. Companies like matching.

Keeping with the horsey theme, run some prize-money charity classes (small jackpots where the majority goes to the charity) at bigger shows, and try to make them short series during the peak season. The JustWorld 2'6" Hunter jackpot series or something. You want to pick a kind of class that fills regularly in the area (that's why I suggested 2'6"...that is a mega popular division here...1.0m jumpers would also be huge) Neat prizes and the promise of a small payout can draw a lot of entries.

Poker rides/rallies seem to make a lot of money here...you'd have to adjust it to your region though...maybe doing a Hunter Pace or something instead. Something not really competitive that draws a large number of recreational riders.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Where in Guatemala were you? I spent a month in Antigua about ten years ago and traveled on the weekends and I loved it down there? Where did you ride?

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Where in Guatemala were you? I spent a month in Antigua about ten years ago and traveled on the weekends and I loved it down there? Where did you ride?
    We stayed in Guatemala City but the project is in Antigua, so we were there too. We rode at El Cortijo (not sure what town it is in, it's about 2 hours from Antigua).

Approach a local restaurant about having a special dish or drink. For example, during the month of January, 50% of all profits on the sale of that specific dish or drink will go to your charity. Look for a restaurant that has an international theme or an extensive beer/wine list. If donations will go to support work in Guatemala, then perhaps there is a Guatemalan beer available or a traditional food item that would sell. Some of the restaurants in my area do this and I don't mind paying a slightly marked up price to try something new and support a good cause at the same time.