The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default PSA - Dyson Animal vac is today's Woot

I don't know how much they usually cost, but they have them on Woot today for $359. I guess lots of folks swear by them.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

haven't done the math lately but the best deal I found was Bed, Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon.
    With 2 dogs, those things are mandatory.

yea the animal vac rocks it and that price is pretty good. Any normal bag (or even our old bagless by Hoover) could not take the large quantities of fur in my household (4 cats, 1 labrador). We've had the Dyson for 3 years now, still going strong as ever! Kinda gross though the amount of fur it pulls up...the canister gets emptied at least three times when the whole house gets vacumned!

We have 2 dogs, six cats and foster cats for our local humane society. Our
    canister (not a Dyson, sigh) gets emptied 3 times for just the living room.
    Our lab mix is the biggest shedder and the Aussie won't sleep in a bed--on
    the carpet.

3 cats, one a longhair, four dogs (2 lab mutts, 2 border collie mutts) and I do a fair amount of shedding myself, plus we are on soil so sandy its like living at the beach. And we use a woodstove for our primary heat in the winter, so lots of ash and wood trash on the floors as well. Do I love my Dyson Animal, hell yes I do. I am allergic to dust and tend to start hacking when I vacuum, but not with the Dyson.

I just bought a new one as the old one (at least 6+ years I think) had seen better days. It still sucked well, but had lost some important parts and had others broken off. I am not complaining - it served a long useful life - and has now moved upstairs where the demands made on it will be less. My new one cost $549 so anything less than that is a huge bargain!

Dyson is great to work with and any "worn out" or "seen better days" parts can generally be replaced for a fairly reasonable cost.

Mine is still in the 5 year warranty period, so they just send out parts for free under warranty, but I won't hesitate to buy new parts when the warranty is over (very soon).

Oh, the WOOT price is pretty good.

Our Dyson animal is at least 7 years old and still going strong. Every so often I blow out all of the parts and filters with the air compressor, and it starts working like new again. It's vacuumed dry wall dust, cat litter, enough hair to build every animal in Noah's Ark, plus every other item small enough to fit through the nozzle.

The only part that's worn out is the short mini-hose that connects the vacuum head to the body of the vac - we used duct tape and electrical tape on it for a year or two, then decided we'd buy the replacement part - I think Dyson actually sent it at no charge, despite the warranty having run out.

I actually started looking at new Dyson ball vacs this season, but probably won't spend that kind of $ this year or next, unless it completely ceases operation. At the time I bought mine, the only difference between an Animal and a regular Dyson was color and the additional rotary hand-held tool for upholstery. This tool will fit any Dyson (and probably most other vacs if necessary), so when I replace the purple one, I can get a less-expensive model. I'll review the differences again and see if there is any reason for the Animal besides my love for purple.

1) I am NOT domestic in any fashion.
    2) I LOVE my Dyson Animal. I have 5 cats and a lab in the house. WHEN I remember to vaccum it is amazing the job it does. And the built in attachments are wicked cool and easy to use.
    3) they are not cheap but do shop around. I got mine about 6 yrs ago when they were on mfg backorder. I found a used/refurb one and it is still going strong.
    4) I LOVE MY DYSON!! ;-)

Could not live without my Dyson. They are worth their weight in gold!

Had the Dyson...really wasn't impressed for the money. I guess my three dogs/two cats are really tough because it died after four years of use.

I bought a 179.00 Hoover Wind Tunnel and think for the money, it is the better deal. And if it dies in four years, I won't be quite as pissed.

It is heavier than the Dyson....but that's the only negative.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

One warning; I have seen two sizes of the Animal lately; make sure that price is for the larger (usually over $500). The Woot price is about what I saw the smaller version for @ HHGregg.

Love my Dyson Animal - 6 years and running strong! And I tried the Wind Tunnel and others(including a fancy Electrolux) first: less than one year and they would no longer suck much of anything. Of course I have two LARGE, long-haired dogs (Pyr and Newfie) and a long-haired cat, so that could be the issue....