The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to tip for the holidays?

I was wondering what a typical amount would be to give a

groom

farrier

very helpful stable guy (makes sure my horse is happy, moves my horse indoors if he is standing in the rain in his blanket getting wet...)

for Christmas. I was thinking $100 for the groom (i have 2 horses), $50 for the farrier (shoeing for the 2 horses is $350), and either $50 or $75 for the helpful stable dude.

Does this sound correct?
    thanks!

I think your tips along with a thank you note will be well received.

That sounds about right. I used to do about $50 per horse before I owned the barn. Now I give holiday bonuses instead of holiday tips
    I also ordered a big Edible Arrangement and sent one to the farrier and one to the vet's office.

PS- I think this a good topic to raise!

The amounts you've suggested sound good to me - but depending on what type of boarding situation you have (or not) -some barns might have an established protocol for gifts/tips where the boarders/clients chip in (or are billed..) so you might want to check w/ other boarders if you havent' already..

Yes good topic!

I did $200 for the farrier, we have 4-6 horses $400 for local trainer that helped us at home during the year. $500 for stable hand who takes care of all our horses. Last year.

This year same for farrier and stable hand, we used a BNT this year wondering what we should do for them?

Maybe a gift basket and gift certificate to a baby store since she has almost one year old?

For the other BNT gift basket and JD? Not sure any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by kimball1 View Post
    That sounds about right. I used to do about $50 per horse before I owned the barn. Now I give holiday bonuses instead of holiday tips
    I also ordered a big Edible Arrangement and sent one to the farrier and one to the vet's office.
    Totally stealing this idea! good one! thanks
    Dear life, please send grapes. Sincerely, I prefer wine over lemonade.

I usually tip $200 to our groom. 1 guy with 15+ horses to care for, so it is well deserved.
    I never thought about my farrier but at $275 a pop, I think he is already well taken care of. A nice note though would be a good idea.
    A couple of years ago I gave $50 to the stable office hoping they would start a collection for the stall cleaners. To my horror, they, nor any of the other 200+ boards at my mega stable, though about doing this. $50 among 10 guys isn't going to go very far (and the management probably just pocketed the money) so I stopped doing it.

I usually give my farrier a gift card to the excellent gourmet deli in my town. I know he drives by it pretty much every day.