The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need to pick your brain on dog walkers!

Do you use a dog walker? If you do why and how did you find them? What extra services would you like them to provide? Is there anything that would make you feel that one dog walker is better for your dog than another? What would you be willing to pay? Thanks! I need to get more customers I have a daily customer.....but need more

I'll bite. We found our dog walker when we moved to the neighborhood -- it's VERY dog friendly and we asked all our neighbors, and they all recommended her.

Extra services -- keeping the dog on occasion over night or on the weekend. Our dog walker will do this with one dog at a time on some weekends -- so I do always ask her first if we are going away..it's a great extra!! I can leave my dog at home, and she'll come and get him (she lives around the corner) when it's time for his next walk, keep him, and then put him back in the house before we get home.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Drop flyers off at physical therapy rehab centers, senior citizen centers/day care, Adult protective services, ambulance companies.

People that use the above services may need someone to walk their dog...especially with snow/ice coming. If someone broke their leg, they may need dog walkers. Same with seniors/rehab, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Drop flyers off at physical therapy rehab centers, senior citizen centers/day care, Adult protective services, ambulance companies.

People that use the above services may need someone to walk their dog...especially with snow/ice coming. If someone broke their leg, they may need dog walkers. Same with seniors/rehab, etc.
    Good point! I volunteer at a hospital so yes yes!

Do you leave notes for the owner about how the dog was?
    treats eaten
    pee'd/ poop'ed
    mood: happy, sad, tired, etc?
    how long you were there.

My friends use one dog walker that leaves them a note...I think that is pretty nice.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

I use a dog walker. I work long hours in Chicago and I live in Indiana. If you live in an area where many people take a train to work, I'd leave flyers at the train station or area where there is commuter parking. I found my dog walker through the yellow pages. Turns out we use the same vet and he is a local teacher. Pet sitting is his other job. He charges me $10/visit and plays with the dogs in my fenced yard rather than actually walking them. However, I do notice a huge difference in their behavior on the rare occasion that we've gotten our wires crossed and the dogs didn't get out. I started using him when I got a new puppy. It had been 12 yrs since the previous puppy and the old dogs had bladders of steel. But I like the fact that the dogs get to stretch their legs a bit while I'm gone. I've also used him to feed the horses on the occassional weekend. He's not really a horse person, but is very responsible and would know when something wasn't right.