The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Purchasing a Horse....

Is it possible to purchase a horse that has been originally donated to a university? I have a friend who is in a predicament like the one described above and want to know what the terms are for a horse that has been donated at one point to a university, but is currently located at a barn locally.

The college/university can and does sell the horse. They sell them pretty much in the normal way

This question is a little vague with the "donated but now at local barn". But that really makes no difference as you simply make an offer to the current owner of the horse, school or private individual. They either accept or reject.

It is no different for the buyer regardless if it is school owned or private. Usually the horse is fairly priced at current market value regardless of ownership as well.

As an aside, many schools do not have on campus barns and use one or more local barns. And I do not see any "predicament above" that would make this any different fron a routine sale.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

My young rider horse was purchased from a University. She was donated for a tax deduction about 6 months prior to me purchasing her. She was a bit harder to ride and way more opinionated then the school could deal with. I paid next to nothing for her, so not sure if schools have a limit on what they can ask because of it originally being a donation. The University horses around me that have ever been up for sale have all been in the under $5k range.

now this is where i am seriously confused! What I have been told is that this horse is in some sort of contract where it cannot be sold until a certain date and once that lease it up, it can be purchased for said amount. Anyone ever hear of some arrangement like that? I also do not know whether the horse is still owned by the university, but im guessing if he is that is the place to contact.

Well, that is more for your friend and the actual owner/seller of the horse to work out but...

To get the tax deduction for donating the horse for a set value, the school has to keep the horse for a certain time period so it does not appear to "flip" the horse for a profit while the donor takes a big tax deduction. IIRC it's 2 or 3 years.

But, again, this is pretty much between your friend and the owner. It may not even be currently for sale and there would be no choice but to wait until that time limit elapses and then see if they will sell it. And they may not even then.

Kind of get the feeling it is not officiallyfor sale at the moment? And, are you buying it in partnership or acting as agent? You say friend then you say we, which is it?
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

My first horse was purchased from a university. He was there for 4 years I believe (so had fulfilled the tax criteria) and then went to my trainer's barn on consignment when he was no longer fitting into the school's program. I leased him from the school for 6 months with a purchase option and then chose to exercise that option at the end of the lease. My trainer handled all the details for me, but I don't recall it being any different than a normal sale transaction.

I believe the current rules are that the school has to retain ownership of the horse for 3 years (if the horse is valued over a certain amount). Of course they are free to lease the horse out to whomever during that time as long as they technically retain ownership. If your friend wants to buy the horse, she may be unable to do so until that waiting period is up. Once the waiting period is over, the transaction is just like any other sale.

And, some schools have to auction the horses. I know some of the public schools down here have to auction 'state property' and can't make private sales. Maybe it's the same elsewhere?
    Y'all ain't right!

If the horses donated value is under $5k, then the school can sell it the next day. If it is valued at more than $5k, the school has to retain ownership for 3 years. Once the 3 years is up, they are free to sell the horse.
    ~ Unexpected ~