The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug. 2, 2009
    Location
    Osteen, FL
    Posts
    1,646

    Default For those of you that have seen Crown Affair show, what do you think?

    Since we have a Crown Affair x Alla 'Czar foal due next year, I would like to know what those of you (probably from the West Coast) that have seen him in the flesh in the show ring think?

    We know what we think as breeders, on paper, through videos, through some word of mouth, but since we are located on the East Coast, we would love to get some input from those that have actually seen him go?

    What is his movement, jump, temperament like? Has anyone seen any offspring?

    I have heard that his jump is stylish, his temperament like a puppy dog and his movement is pretty good for a hunter, despite having some of the most classic jumper lines in his pedigree (Cor de la Bryere x Capitol).

    Are we right in what we've been told? Thanks in Advance for your input and impressions.
    Last edited by RyuEquestrian; Nov. 21, 2010 at 08:39 PM.
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan. 15, 2008
    Location
    Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    Your assessment jives with my impression of Crown Affair, having met and watched him show with Gail and John over the years. I have liked him for a long time and he IS a puppy dog!

    Good luck with your coming babe!!







    Quote Originally Posted by MCarverS View Post
    [edit] I would like to know what those of you (probably from the West Coast) that have seen him in the flesh in the show ring think?

    We know what we think as breeders, on paper, through videos, through some word of mouth, but since we are located on the East Coast, we would love to get some input from those that have actually seen him go?

    What is his movement, jump, temperament like? Has anyone seen any offspring?

    I have heard that his jump is stylish, his temperament like a puppy dog and his movement is pretty good for a hunter, despite having some of the most classic jumper lines in his pedigree (Cor de la Bryere x Capitol).

    Are we right in what we've been told? Thanks in Advance for your input and impressions.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Nov. 21, 2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: quote
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."



    www.dontlookbackfarm.com



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2000
    Location
    Keswick, VA
    Posts
    7,868

    Default

    I saw him a few years ago at indoors and liked him as an amateur horse. He was cute and appealing and quiet, and had a good jump. He's a little ponyish in way of going, and could have a better canter, both of which keep him from being the real winner as a show horse. Overall though, a nice, competitive horse, and I would expect him to be a good choice as a stallion.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan. 15, 2008
    Location
    Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    Chanda ???? WHAT?


    I am trying to remember when last he came East?- don't see any times since 2006 - only for the Hunter Derby Finals this year, where, alas, he was not so great - but other "stars" were not so great either!

    I have posted some results of a not "real" show horse - there are others even better - grabbed the first ones I came to:
    This is a horse who has done well in the Regular Working and the A/O's -

    I am baffled by your comment:

    " ....keep him from being the real winner as a show horse" ?

    Note the size of the entries in the Working Hunters and the A/Os.

    I can think of a number of stallions raved about who have won or are winning in divisions where entries rarely exceed or exceed 3-4 entries per class.

    5635 2009 BLENHEIM JUNE CLASSIC I
    (Owner at the Competition: YELLOW DOG FARM, LLC) Start Date of Comp: 6/3/2009 State: CA, Zone: 10
    Division: REGULAR WORKING HUNTER Rating: AA
    Class # Class Description # Entries Placing Nat Pnt Good Nat Pnt Bad ZRD Pnt Good ZRD Pnt Bad Hunter Money Rider Name
    36 Regular Working Hunters FP 9 3 40.00 0.00 15.00 0.00 106.00 FRENCH, JOHN
    37 Regular Working Hunters 9 4 35.00 0.00 10.00 0.00 79.50 FRENCH, JOHN
    38 Regular Working Hunters 9 1 50.00 0.00 25.00 0.00 159.00 FRENCH, JOHN
    39 Regular Working Hunters 9 3 40.00 0.00 15.00 0.00 106.00 FRENCH, JOHN
    40 Regular Working Hunters U/S 9 3 40.00 0.00 15.00 0.00 0.00 FRENCH, JOHN
    CHRW Regular Working Hunters Championship 9 2 60.00 0.00 30.00 0.00 450.50 FRENCH, JOHN
    TOTALS: 265.00 0.00 110.00 0.00 901.00
    Division: AMATEUR OWNER HUNTER 35+ YEARS Rating: AA
    Class # Class Description # Entries Placing Nat Pnt Good Nat Pnt Bad ZRD Pnt Good ZRD Pnt Bad Hunter Money Rider Name
    176 A/O Hunters 36 & over FP 11 4 35.00 0.00 10.00 0.00 85.50 MOREY, GAIL
    177 A/O Hunters 36 & over 11 2 45.00 0.00 20.00 0.00 142.50 MOREY, GAIL
    178 A/O Hunters 36 & over 11 1 50.00 0.00 25.00 0.00 171.00 MOREY, GAIL
    179 A/O Hunters 36 & over 10 8 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 MOREY, GAIL
    180 A/O Hunters 36/Ov U/S 11 4 35.00 0.00 10.00
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."



    www.dontlookbackfarm.com



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2003
    Location
    Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!
    Posts
    6,893

    Default

    I remember him from his earliest days when he was owned and shown up here in Oregon. Lovely to look at, very nice, it seemed, to handle and quite successful over fences. I haven't seen many of his progeny show, but so few are "advertised" as by so and so when shown in the hunters. I thought the vet who stood him here had a few old enough to show. I did see some sale ads for under saddle youngsters, but the prices were high for the level they were at. All of them looked like him, very attractive.

    Is he "flashy"? No, but a nice workmanlike hunter is never a bad thing, and it seems the temperament is very good and passed along.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan. 28, 2003
    Location
    Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!
    Posts
    7,218

    Default

    I saw him in July at Woodside. I LOVED him, but Chanda is correct, his canter is not the prettiest across the ground, but if he passes on his looks, brain and jump, I could stand not to have the best canter!!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2000
    Location
    Keswick, VA
    Posts
    7,868

    Default

    Debbie, you're overreacting to what I meant as a positive post. When I say he's not the real winner, I mean he can go his best and not be in the top ribbons. That's not a criticism, that's just what separates the top horses. There aren't many top horses. He's a nice competitive horse, which is more than a lot of horses, and much more than a lot of stallions.

    I have no way of evaluating a west coast show record. I'm not familiar with the shows out there to know which ones are top shows, or with a lot of the other horses competing to know which ones are of good quality. You can't evaluate results without knowing those things.
    I remember seeing the horse at indoors and liking him, and refreshed my memory with the video on his website. Looking up the dates for when I saw him it was 2007.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan. 15, 2008
    Location
    Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    I am not overreating - au contraire - I am countering with facts. I think your estimation given how little you may have seen of the stallion in person may be a bit - oh, well, peevish.

    The request was for those who had been on the West Coast.



    Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    Debbie, you're overreacting to what I meant as a positive post. When I say he's not the real winner, I mean he can go his best and not be in the top ribbons. That's not a criticism, that's just what separates the top horses. There aren't many top horses. He's a nice competitive horse, which is more than a lot of horses, and much more than a lot of stallions.

    I have no way of evaluating a west coast show record. I'm not familiar with the shows out there to know which ones are top shows, or with a lot of the other horses competing to know which ones are of good quality. You can't evaluate results without knowing those things.
    I remember seeing the horse at indoors and liking him, and refreshed my memory with the video on his website. Looking up the dates for when I saw him it was 2007.
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."



    www.dontlookbackfarm.com



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar. 14, 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    I remember him from his earliest days when he was owned and shown up here in Oregon. Lovely to look at, very nice, it seemed, to handle and quite successful over fences. I haven't seen many of his progeny show, but so few are "advertised" as by so and so when shown in the hunters. I thought the vet who stood him here had a few old enough to show. I did see some sale ads for under saddle youngsters, but the prices were high for the level they were at. All of them looked like him, very attractive.

    Is he "flashy"? No, but a nice workmanlike hunter is never a bad thing, and it seems the temperament is very good and passed along.
    Didn't he originally show with Jeff Campf in the irons? I think I'm right, and I too remember him from when he was in Oregon. I liked him a lot back then, and he was just getting started. Very easy going, nice personality, and did fairly well also. He isn't "flashy", but I always liked him. Just seemed like an all around good guy, and not studish at all. I actually agree with CBoylen- he has always struck me as a very ammy friendly horse, but still has the ability to hold his own against good company (but, against the top in the country, might not place in the top 3 or 4).

    Congrats on your "baking" baby!



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan. 15, 2008
    Location
    Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    What are you all talking about re: Best in the Country? You mean in the Working Hunters? Always depends on the location, the judges and the ride - Kelly Farmer vs John French? Ha - location location location

    Mean top Lone Star (who came from my barn in CA)? or hmm, Rosalynn? - I sense some "East Coastism" in the replies - ie no horse showing West could possibly be as great as ours here on the East.

    Meanwhile, those Conformation Hunters beloved by many - they rarely competed/compete in the regular divisions and when they have or did - woopsie, not so good!
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."



    www.dontlookbackfarm.com



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2000
    Location
    Keswick, VA
    Posts
    7,868

    Default

    I'm sorry you feel that way, especially since I think you have misunderstood my estimation completely, and I thought the question was for those that had seen him in person. I'm always interested to see the horses that come east in the fall, particularly when someone makes that effort for a stallion, and I make an effort to watch them.
    For what it's worth, many of the trips I saw are videos on his website, so they obviously didn't feel like they were a poor representation of the horse, and neither do I. .



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan. 27, 2003
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    10,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3Dogs View Post
    I am not overreating - au contraire - I am countering with facts. I think your estimation given how little you may have seen of the stallion in person may be a bit - oh, well, peevish.

    The request was for those who had been on the West Coast.
    Well, I'm on the West Coast but I've never seen him live. Does that still count? I agree with CBoylen: the canter is...distracting but the jump is very nice. If he's got a great temperament, then he seems like a good bet to me with that record. I would imagine he's going to get beat by horses with just as good a jump who canter better. :Shrug:

    Sakura Hill's cross sounds like a really nice one. Might just be quite a baby.
    Last edited by RugBug; Nov. 21, 2010 at 10:16 PM.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar. 14, 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3Dogs View Post
    What are you all talking about re: Best in the Country? You mean in the Working Hunters? Always depends on the location, the judges and the ride - Kelly Farmer vs John French? Ha - location location location

    Mean top Lone Star (who came from my barn in CA)? or hmm, Rosalynn? - I sense some "East Coastism" in the replies - ie no horse showing West could possibly be as great as ours here on the East.

    Meanwhile, those Conformation Hunters beloved by many - they rarely competed/compete in the regular divisions and when they have or did - woopsie, not so good!
    I don't know if you are directing this at me, but I am on the West Coast, and so I do not think that I represent "East Coastism". When I said, "top in the country" I certainly was not saying that the East coast is far superior than the West in terms of horse flesh.

    IMO, Crown Affair is a lovely stallion. He is pleasant to watch go around, and has a great jump. His canter is "not the best", but he certainly is no slouch in the canter department. The top in the country, in my maybe not so educated opinion is the horse that is lovely to watch, and is brilliant in all aspects (jump, canter, etc). Since movement is judged in the hunters, a horse that has a lovely canter and a brilliant jump may place higher than Crown Affair if they were to have the same round otherwise. This is what I was getting at when I said may not place in the top 3 or 4 against the best in the country. A horse that is brilliant in all aspects in the hunter world is very few and far between, especially in the pro divisions. As I said before, I think he can hold his own, but I have always liked him for what seems to be a very ammy friendly brain (and a fancy one at that!)



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug. 9, 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    226

    Default

    well why argue weather it looks pony like or not when you have you tube

    WITH JOHN:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seSS5...eature=related

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wq-8wshbpM


    this video is of his history

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daSgV...eature=related


    WITH HIS A/O mother
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH0QA...eature=related
    To be successful, you have to have your heart in your business, and your business in your heart



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar. 27, 2004
    Location
    Lost in the land of snow and cows...NY
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ktm2007 View Post
    Didn't he originally show with Jeff Campf in the irons? I think I'm right, and I too remember him from when he was in Oregon. I liked him a lot back then, and he was just getting started. Very easy going, nice personality, and did fairly well also. He isn't "flashy", but I always liked him. Just seemed like an all around good guy, and not studish at all. I actually agree with CBoylen- he has always struck me as a very ammy friendly horse, but still has the ability to hold his own against good company (but, against the top in the country, might not place in the top 3 or 4).

    Congrats on your "baking" baby!
    Yup, Jeff used to ride him. I remember them showing him (and being on top of the standings) in the Green Conf and Reg Conf.

    Sallie showed him in the Adult Amateurs in '03-'04. He always struck me as a VERY Ammy friendly boy, with a nice jump to boot, even at the 3'.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep. 26, 2010
    Posts
    4,424

    Default

    Who would be considered some of the best movers especially at the canter these days? I'm assuming Rumba for one...who else?



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug. 2, 2009
    Location
    Osteen, FL
    Posts
    1,646

    Default

    I thought that Cunningham had a pretty good canter and he seemed to pass it on to our 2010 colt.
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep. 26, 2010
    Posts
    4,424

    Default

    ^^I see what you mean. I love the way that horse floats across the ground.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 1999
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    3,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MCarverS View Post
    Since we have a Crown Affair x Alla 'Czar foal due next year, I would like to know what those of you (probably from the West Coast) that have seen him in the flesh in the show ring think?

    We know what we think as breeders, on paper, through videos, through some word of mouth, but since we are located on the East Coast, we would love to get some input from those that have actually seen him go?

    What is his movement, jump, temperament like? Has anyone seen any offspring?

    I have heard that his jump is stylish, his temperament like a puppy dog and his movement is pretty good for a hunter, despite having some of the most classic jumper lines in his pedigree (Cor de la Bryere x Capitol).

    Are we right in what we've been told? Thanks in Advance for your input and impressions.

    Out of curiosity, why did you ask these questions after you bred, not before?



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug. 2, 2009
    Location
    Osteen, FL
    Posts
    1,646

    Default

    We had done our research as far as pedigree, video and I have several friends located on the West Coast who have seen him go and have been stabled with him at shows who had given me some insight, but I had never though to open it up to the forums.

    After seeing how our Cunningham foal is maturing out of the same mare, I think that we have a better idea of what this mare puts into her foals regarding movement, temperament and type and now that more time has gone by and Crown Affair has gained some more recognition in the Derbys, I wanted to know if anyone else had seen anything either characteristically good or bad about him.

    You can never get too much information about stallions or mares when it comes to breeding.
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep. 24, 2010, 01:17 PM
  2. Should I have an affair?
    By EponaRoan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: Jul. 5, 2010, 12:27 AM
  3. I had an affair
    By anexalter in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: Jul. 3, 2010, 11:44 PM
  4. Crown Affair babies?
    By TatteredDaydreamer in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May. 25, 2010, 09:36 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: Feb. 17, 2010, 07:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness