The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default deleted

Last edited by Fairview Horse Center; Jan. 26, 2014 at 02:36 PM.

I have registered the horses I show with the PHR, I believe that this registry is reallytrying to become a grass roots performance registry. Ken Ball does a fabulous job and is extremely helpful and pleasant to work with.

My vote is to support the PHR!
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

I can only speak for myself, but I feel that PHR (at least a few years ago) was too expensive to justify any benefit. To be fair I will have to check them out again and see what's changed.

Question is do they play well with others (registries that is!!)?? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

Who on this board even has their stallions registered with the PHR?
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Question is do they play well with others (registries that is!!)??

I think it is the other way around, isn't it? That the registries just don't play well with each other much less with anything else.

There is a lot of talk about how we need a lifetime number and how the breeders all want it. Well, why don't we force our own registries to take a great step forward and share info among themselves first? After all, since it is the breeders who want it most. It is a glass house kind of thing, really. Breeders want performance widely available but the warmblood registries won't share.

Right now, we have to call all the different registries that a stallion and/or mare belongs to to track all the "known" offspring. Make them cross reference with each other!

Originally posted by jilltx:
    I can only speak for myself, but I feel that PHR (at least a few years ago) was too expensive to justify any benefit. To be fair I will have to check them out again and see what's changed.

Question is do they play well with others (registries that is!!)?? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    well actually,its really NOT expensive AT ALL..
    if you do the lifetime for horse, its like 200.00 or so, but UNLIKE all the other registries where you HAVE to pay yearly dues to stay active, you DONT have to do that with PHR..
    if your USEF membership is current & your horse is LIFE reg. PHR, thats all you have in fees..Where as, for example, isr is 100 yearly membership plus 30.00 per horse & AHS is 110.00 for 1 horse 1 owner, etc.. they all have fees, but not PHR..BUT if you do YEARLY instead of life, which i think is 25 a ywear or 125 for life, yes you need to pay yeARLING, JUST LIKE usef..
    I LOVE KEN BALL.. NICEST guy i ever talked to or dealt with..
    http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_cool.gif
    [

We had all our stock with the PHR and Wally is still active with them. It was the lack of WBFSH recognition that caused us to look elsewhere... http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/sigh.gif But I agree - Ken is a fabulous person. Wish things had been different but since we are breeding for FEI competition it just made sense to look to a different registry. With the lack of inspecting and as we prefer to do DNA on everything, not just the breeding stock, it was what we had to do. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Let's see ... PHR currently "owned" by USEF - who, by many accounts, totally fail at record-keeping.

PHR formerly "owned" by the Jockey Club - took plenty of money from several registries and produced nothing in return.

PHR currently will issue "papers" on most anything but charges an additional fee for DNA testing (no mention of anyone producing breeding certificates). No stallion or mare testing ... and yet wants WBFSH inclusion?

This is a "registry" (?) and where do you think it will go? Or, is it designed to make more $$ for USEF?

Originally posted by KitterCritter:
    Let's see ... PHR currently "owned" by USEF - who, by many accounts, totally fail at record-keeping.

PHR formerly "owned" by the Jockey Club - took plenty of money from several registries and produced nothing in return.

PHR currently will issue "papers" on most anything but charges an additional fee for DNA testing (no mention of anyone producing breeding certificates). No stallion or mare testing ... and yet wants WBFSH inclusion?

This is a "registry" (?) and where do you think it will go? Or, is it designed to make more $$ for USEF?
    USEF will keep points records ONLY on horses that are recorded. PHR requires the horse to be recorded so the record keeping should not be an issue. I've never had a problem with the Silver Stirrup award points being incorrect ( but I life record all my horses with USEF)

Yes, it was owned by the JC as it started off for TB's only.

The focus is on tracking the PERFORMANCE of horses without regard for breed or registry.
    On another thread there was discussion of horses doing well in performance yet they were not part of a registry. So no Stallion or mare testing but the proof is in performance.

So instead of looking at bloodlines and tracking the results this would say 'here are the winning horses and here is the pedigree information'. It could be a single point of reference for the best performers and it recognizes the efforts of horses who are not
    a traditional sporthorse breed.

They are very pleasant to work with as others have mentioned. Their offshoot, Silver Stirrup awards mirrors many of the USEF national and zone divisions so there is plenty of recognition of the winners.

I just wish they would have an online search function.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

I register all of my horses with the PHR and have for many years. I think they are the logical registry to be the official USA representative to the WBFSH. I would love to see PHR become the central American registry.

I know they are trying very hard to get all of the data base information up to date and accurate....a daunting task for sure.

I am very active in Breeding and Hunter Breeding and I will do all I can to support the PHR. We are so lucky to have Ken Ball at the PHR, we should all give him all the support possible.
    Standing Just The Best, More Than Luck & Lots of Luck www.tishquirk.com

The PHR is a joke. We bought into it years ago - spending the money on all the horses we bred. What did we get?... NOTHING. They don't track breedlines at all. They don't VERIFY anything. YEARS after I sold a DWB I received another copy of the PHR certificate by certified mail - why?... who knows.

It's inconceivable to think they will become a member of the WBFSH when they don't require verification of information, stallion testing, etc. And as far as tracking performance - that's another joke.

Just like the USEF - horses can be entered into the system over and over again and receive different numbers. People who have horses that they haven't paid for and are being chased by the seller can enter the horse in either system and compete - they don't have to PROVE Ownership.

It's incidental that the person handling this is a "nice guy". This wagon has no wheels - so the fact that the man driving it is a great person - MEANS NOTHING. Don't waste your money - it's yet another source of cash to the USEF - THAT RETURNS INCOMPLETE, INCORRECT, AND USELESS INFORMATION TO IT'S MEMBERS.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

I like the idea of the PHR but it needs some reconfiguring for breeding stock...

There is at least one American made/based German named WB registry here in the USA that is not a member of the WBFSH yet, but considered a "legitmate" registry.

Is the WBFSH only for warmbloods, or would other breeds qualify and do they have to have testing? There are other breeds of horse that do not follow the Euro system, are they in the WBFSH? Iberian WB?

I'm going to go ahead and register Con with them this year and probably his brother, if I don't geld him. Why? Well, as a breeder of crossbreds, it would at least record the breeding and also, quite frankly, when I looked at the points last year's award winners had to earn the awards, well, it looked like an opportunity. The other other PHR I've registered became a HOTY, but PHR didn't even know because his buyers never transfered the papers.

I do think there could be hope for PHR if USEF could strengthen its connection to USEF membership and horse registration. Frankly, I think one reason why a lot of great ideas don't get off the ground is because they expect people to pay for them--and we just aren't willing to pay for something until we can clearly see the "what's in it for me?" answer.

What I wonder about is how much labor it would "cost" (since I assume the technology is already in place) to do it for free for a few years, just like those free registration numbers we got to have a few years ago. If everyone upon renewing their membership and horse recordings/registrations (I'm confused about which is which) were required (upon penalty of rejection, perhaps--eh, why not, put the foot down and get it down, I say) to enter breeding information, what a boon it would be, wouldn't it?

I know that some will immediately note that many don't know their horses' breeding, but imagine if they HAD to find out or pay an extra fee? (Oh, I'm getting into dreamland now, I know.

(Sigh. Anyway, getting back to earth...)

I just heard on the RFD's "Cattle Show" a discussion about how, in Japan, you can buy a package of beef and just by scanning it, find out exactly what cow you were eating, and who bred, bought, raised, slaughtered and packaged it. (IMO, that's a little too much info for my hamburger, but anyway...) They were also talking about how it will also happen here now that livestock producers have to record all of their animals here, too.

Maybe that's our greatest hope: if the government can force it upon the horse industry, too (which should be possible, right? Like Coggins tests?), perhaps there's hope.
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

That is what I would like to see. Maybe USEF & PHR work hand in hand. USEF require registration - copy of AHS, NAWPN, Jockey Club, etc OR PHR papers. If not registered, you would HAVE to register PHR. PHR would require breeding certificate, and proof of pedigree (DNA) and photos for maybe $50.00, and if unknown $100.00. The different fee may make most people actually type in that pedigree, or dig up those registration papers.
    Hunter/Jumper classes are open to all horses, regardless of breed, registry or pedigree. So imposing registry requirements for those divisions seems a little odd.

Many OTTB's are sold without papers so tacking on an additional fee seems a bit unfair. Also,
    some TB's that are never intended to race are not registered with the JC but the owner knows
    the pedigree.

Wouldn't it make sense to make the PHR recording process simpler and less costly?

Wouldn't you want to include horses
    not in a registry if the pedigree is known and the horse is performing at a high level. Why penalize those horses with higher fees?
    Fan of Sea Accounts

Every time I have gone to their website, I cannot really find out any information on their purpose, registration forms, etc...it seems to me they are still all about that Silver Stirrup Award, which is a hunter thing. If the PHR is to become the central sport horse registry for documenting sport results, like the FN does in Germany, then they have to get out from under the USEF and become a mandated registration site---no more of this, sell the horse, change its name, and put it back in 1st yr green because it cannot jump around 2nd yr stuff.
    As for life numbers soon to be mandated by the USDA, we already get them through all the breed registries...the PHR would only need to have a software system to capture all those numbers, including QH, Arab, Morgan, you name it...and it could issue its own numbers--like Germany does by issuing 04 #'s to "foreign horses"--for those horses home bred and with no registry number...

This is really simple to accomplish, but will require the PHR to operate under a separate mandate, and with real power---then we can get performance and pedigree data on All Breeds and Home Bred Horses.

Until that happens, you are just whistling in the wind.

I see no reason whatsoever to spend literally hundreds of dollars on a registry that serves no purpose at all that I can see. I will spend $35 per foal to get them all life-recorded with the USEF-formerly-known-as-AHSA, because that has a benefit. They will be able to show in recognized shows any time down the road with no more fees, and if they do earn points, I will be recognized as their breeder and their parents will be recognized, etc. etc. I did not routinely record my horses with them when it cost $150 per horse, that was not reasonable. Better to wait and see which ones actually end up showing. But now that it is only $35 if done as weanlings, I do them all and feel that is reasonable. (The $60 fee for a change of ownership is ridiculous, though. Breed registries certainly don't do that.)

It almost sounds like people are wanting the PHR to do what the USEF already does, keep track of the points of any horse that is showing. What purpose would that serve? Why have them registered with both? The only reason I can see for registering a horse with the PHR is if they are not eligible for any other kind of breed registry, and you wanted some sort of papers, any kind of papers, as a way of proving the horse's identity, age, pedigree, ownership, etc. Even so, the USEF life-recording does all that, does it not?

Originally posted by pwynnnorman:
    I just heard on the RFD's "Cattle Show" a discussion about how, in Japan, you can buy a package of beef and just by scanning it, find out exactly what cow you were eating, and who bred, bought, raised, slaughtered and packaged it. (IMO, that's a little too much info for my hamburger, but anyway...) They were also talking about how it will also happen here now that livestock producers have to record all of their animals here, too.

Maybe that's our greatest hope: if the government can force it upon the horse industry, too (which should be possible, right? Like Coggins tests?), perhaps there's hope.
    Do you really want to be forced by law to microchip all your horses, record your premises and scan every single movement of your horse off property to every show, trail ride, lesson, and back again? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif Last I heard each premises will be required to have their own scanner and that the cost is around $15,000 for the scanner. I don't know about you but that's a helluva lot of money to me to just comply with some Gov't kneejerk law to supposedly protect us from terrorism or mad cow disease. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

I don't mind the microchipping as much as I mind the reporting requirements. The extra burden and expense this will place on breeders, trainers, large stables, and show management...and let's not even talk about the cost of taxpayers $$$ to fund this absurd unenforceable program...is just ridiculous.

If I thought for one minute that those chips would be usable for our purposes like you and several others here seem to think they will be, I'd be happy to jump on the bandwagon, but until then, I suspect it will be a beurocratic (sp) nightmare for all of us with next to no return for our trouble and our expense.

I'm sorry to go OT on this thread but everyone who is hoping the Gov't will force us to do this really needs to learn what it will really mean to us. The chips are not for our use...they are for the Gov't's use. We are not going to be able to load the chips with breeding data, show data, etc...it will be costly and tedious to comply and it will raise everyone's cost of doing business.

Go here for for info on USDA's ID program.
    http://www.horsecouncil.org/

The ID number issued will most likely NOT be a breed or registry number. Probably random generated.

Any information in the system will be protected and access will be restricted to government agencies tracking disease outbreaks. So don't count on any purpose other than ID.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

The silver stirrup awards are not just for "hunters." They cover a nice range of awards, which are based on you "placement" in classes.

For those of you who haven't looked at the PHR is the last year, take another look!

Ken Ball is a very nice person to work with and is doing a great job with the PHR.

The USEF top breeders; owners and sires lists reflects the wins that are scored by placement, and it is these scores which go toward the silver stirrup awards. Naturally, you do have to join PHR and silver stirrup to be included.
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro