The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Legit Baucherist

I just stumbled upon a felow named Michel/Sasha Bravard on youtube. He is a legit modern Baucherist and has many videos that demonstrate correctly the methods and execution of Bauchers concepts. It is not competition dressage but I think it is lovely classical horsemanship! I cannot post vids here but if someone else is interested in looking into him and posting it could liven things up!
    Don Raphaelo Rollkurista

well, you can post youtube links...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

it is refreshing, Don rollkur, to encounter someone with less internet skilz than me.

The lightness of the aides-with Sasha Bravard

The Classical School- with Sasha Bravard

Rassembler

thank you - lovely to watch, and for anyone who thinks dressage is forceful or indelicate, watch these and get an education.

The Man's website
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

I suppose it's all about the collection, but still, lots of drama without a whole lot happening there and all in slow motion, too.

Default Legit Baucherist

LOL Cat on Lap. You can take confidence you are my better on the computer. As far as Bravard is concerned I love this guy! It is not competition dressage but it is great classical horsemanship! It is just as the title of Racinet's first book says. It is Another Horsemanship. I am suprised Bravard is not more well known.

As others have said it's is pretty to look at. However to quote Jay from Clerks whats a pretty plate with nothing on it. Ok What I just said was a little harsh. I am sure that this type of riding has it's place for exhibitions, however can we really call trick riding horsemanship?

Just like can we call riding the Passage horsemanship? I think that if we are talking horsemanship we have to take in the whole picture. We would have to see the day to day training not just the final product. We would also have to see the day to day workings of the barn and how the horses are handled.

I don't think that you have to be a good horseman to ride a horse well that is just time in the saddle. I do believe you have to be a good horseman to train a horse well and have the horse have a long career in the sport that is chosen for them.

In my opinion this trainer may use some Baucher's later methods to train but I would imagine that it is mixed with other schools of riding as well. It would be interesting to see how much Baucher's ideals are applied to the over all management of the horses. I just do not see a horse thriving in a completely Baucher-esque method of management.
    Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
    -Auntie Mame

Quote Originally Posted by ginger708 View Post
    ....I am sure that this type of riding has it's place for exhibitions, however can we really call trick riding horsemanship?
    Ummmm, yes. Why not? If not horsemanship, what is it?

From Random House Dictionary
    horse¬∑man¬∑ship   
    [hawrs-muhn-ship]
    –noun
    1. the art, ability, skill, or manner of a horseman.
    2. equitation.
    From Collins English Dictionary
    horsemanship
    — n
    1. the art of riding on horseback
    2. skill in riding horses
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/horsemanship

Default Legit Baucherist

Due respect. I think it is quite clear that Bravard is demonstrating Baucher's most important foundation work. Release of hands and legs. The horses jaw mobility is superb and that he is doing lateral flexions is self apparent. Then turn around the forehand, around the haunches, into and thru bend.All straight out of Baucher's own writing,Kerbrecht,Beudant,and Decapentry. This horse appears to have been doing these things awhile and is hip to the drill. I think the point is that these exercises with lightness in contact rather than a limp rein which is the goal here can be wildcards in the hands of even Germanically trained riders.It gives us more tools to use without having to commit to the entire program. It is pretty certain this horse is experianced in counted walk[school walk] as well.

Is he using a Pelham bit?

Ramener77 Guest

I love him Don RR! Anytime a horse is this soft to the aids it's great horsemanship.

What the heck is a Baucher-esque method of management?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramener77 View Post
    I love him Don RR! Anytime a horse is this soft to the aids it's great horsemanship.

What the heck is a Baucher-esque method of management?
    Ramener noodles instead of hay?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Raphaelo Rollkurista View Post
    I think the point is that these exercises with lightness in contact rather than a limp rein which is the goal here can be wildcards in the hands of even Germanically trained riders.
    Making an effort to understand here. Yes, no doubt the horse (to all appearances, a willing, attentive, and jolly fellow) has been trained with lightness. To what do these "exercises" lead? What movements would one expect to see in a classical performance? And is it the light rein or limp rein which is desireable? And again, what kind of bit is he using?

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    To what do these "exercises" lead?
    Collection in self carriage? Perhaps?

What movements would one expect to see in a classical performance? .....
    Define "real classical." Perhaps maybe a levade or two.....a capriole perhaps? He's doing pirouettes, piaffe, passage....what would you like him to do?

And is it the light rein or limp rein which is desireable?
    I would suppose so, since the dressage leadership has written tests such that above 2nd level there is a requirement to show uberstreichen to demonstrate that the horse is not "held in a frame" by the reins.

.....And again, what kind of bit is he using?
    What difference does it make? Seems a pelham with short stubby shanks would be milder than 2 bits in the horse's mouth, one with 4" shanks.

I'm not in the least interested in what the dressage leadership has to say I was interested in what DRR was saying.

I'm not interested in comparing competitive/ Bravard bits. I was asking for information. In another Bravard video he's hardly using a short, stubby shanked bit.

Goodness, Pluvinel, why so defensive?

..... I was asking for information......
    And I was trying to provide some information....and perhaps, just perhaps trying to engage in a civil dialog thru questions.....

You know the ditty saying, "seek to understand before being understood".

Quote Originally Posted by MelantheLLC View Post
    Ramener noodles instead of hay?
    This was an amazingly brilliant quote that just made my day lol! Thank you!

[QUOTE=pluvinel;5238581]Perhaps maybe a levade or two.....a capriole perhaps? He's doing pirouettes, piaffe, passage....what would you like him to do?QUOTE]

Is he taking requests? Actually, I'd like to see him ride w/o the slowed motion.
    Last edited by alicen; Nov. 23, 2010 at 03:35 PM.

Ramener77 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Hearts View Post
    This was an amazingly brilliant quote that just made my day lol! Thank you!

How did he get to this point?
    I am willing to bet, predicated upon the head carriage by the horse, that the schooling actually is not in lightness, but rather using the bit/bits and then once the head carriage is achieved, the releasing begins. The result is the head appearing to be in the position normally seen when the rider is using the bit/bits conventionally.

Making an effort to understand here. Yes, no doubt the horse (to all appearances, a willing, attentive, and jolly fellow) has been trained with lightness. To what do these "exercises" lead? What movements would one expect to see in a classical performance? And is it the light rein or limp rein which is desireable? And again, what kind of bit is he using?
    www.hartetoharte.org
    Ask and allow, do not demand and force.

Quote Originally Posted by spirithorse View Post
    I am willing to bet, predicated upon the head carriage by the horse, that the schooling actually is not in lightness, but rather using the bit/bits and then once the head carriage is achieved, the releasing begins.
    How much?

Cinder