The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tack Stores in NJ

I will be in NJ over Thanksgiving weekend, and I'm hoping to find a tack store or two to sneak off to on Friday A google search turned up lots of stores, but I want to make sure I'm not wasting time at less than stellar places or stores that mainly do feed. Any suggestions for tack stores worth going to within about 30 minutes of the Red Bank/Middleton or Hazlet areas? Better yet- anybody know if any of these places have deals planned for Black Friday? Thank you!
    The best is yet to come

I know Ricks Saddle shop has a big sale planned on Fri-I think 20% off any one item plus other specials. I'm not sure how far a drive that would be from Red Bank area-maybe some others will chime in!

ricks in englishtown is w/n 30 minute drive from red bank area.
    it's a nice sized store with lots of diverse merchandise so definitely worth a trip.
    there is also the tack shelter in colts neck. much smaller than ricks but if you're heading that way you might as well try it.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Rick's is AWESOME. My mom loves their specials.
    Special Horses - equine volunteer to assist equines in need!
    www.specialhorses.org

Ricks is probably the closest to the area you are going to be in. There are several big ones within an hour if you travel north. Beval's, Dover, and Horseman's Outlet, but I have no idea what sort of sales they have planned.

All Hail Horseman's Outlet !! People drive from MD, Long Island, Delaware, and VA to go shopping at HO

People do generally go out of their way to go to Horseman's Outlet - and it's worth the trip.

I love Horsemans Outlet and shop there all the time!!!! It is more than an hr for me but worth it!!!!

Thanks everybody! One more thing...while I would LOVE to spend all day driving around to tack stores, I think I'm only going to get away with one store. So Rick's is about 30 min, Horseman's outlet is about an hour...is Horseman's Outlet THAT much better? I certainly don't want to miss out on such an awesome place...but it is really far. What would you guys do??
    The best is yet to come

I miss Beval's.

The Tack Shelter in Colt's Neck has a coupon on their website:
    http://www.thetackshelter.com/

For fun, go walk into Red Bank Vet Hospital (technically in Tinton Falls), www.rbvh.net They are open 24/7. They have the largest circular fish tank in the US.... it was dropped in through the ceiling and trucked up from FL. I was a tech there... and that fish tank is like nothing else you may ever see!

Well, my commute has caused me to hate driving so I would stick to Ricks. The selection is decent, but you may have to go to the other store across the street dependent upon what you are looking for. A big plus for me for Englishtown Rick's is the junk store located behind it. My barn has many an item from that junk store.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm not an outlier; I just haven't found my distribution yet!

Quote Originally Posted by simc24 View Post
    Thanks everybody! One more thing...while I would LOVE to spend all day driving around to tack stores, I think I'm only going to get away with one store. So Rick's is about 30 min, Horseman's outlet is about an hour...is Horseman's Outlet THAT much better? I certainly don't want to miss out on such an awesome place...but it is really far. What would you guys do??
    YES! Horseman's Outlet is the MECCA!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Default ah-ha!

Ah, this explains why I found two separate addresses, but mapquest leads me to the same exact area for both addys! I figured it was something like they expanded right down the block or something...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by apprider View Post
    Well, my commute has caused me to hate driving so I would stick to Ricks. The selection is decent, but you may have to go to the other store across the street dependent upon what you are looking for. A big plus for me for Englishtown Rick's is the junk store located behind it. My barn has many an item from that junk store.
    The best is yet to come