The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default EHV1 at Finger Lakes - Update Post # 75

By now, some of you may have heard that there has been a horse diagnosed with EHV1 at Finger Lakes Race Track. Unfortunately, this is true. As of this moment, one barn is under quarantine. Horses from other barns are still being permitted to enter and leave the track.

This places the volunteers of the FLTAP Trainer Listings in a difficult position. In order to do our job, we have to travel from barn to barn. Though we do our best, we are always getting snorted on, wuffled, etc. Thus, we run the risk of carrying infection from one horse to another. We also have to consider that we may carry the infection home to our own horses.

Because of this, we have reluctantly decided that we cannot continue to go to the track until the quarantine is lifted. We feel that this is in the best interests of everyone involved. We do not wish to be the unwitting cause of contamination. We must act on the side of extreme caution.

This couldn't come at a worse time. Trainers are getting ready to leave for other tracks, tracks which may now decide not to admit them. And, horses have to be placed before the track shuts down. Quarantine will last for a minimum of three weeks. If it is lifted after that, we will need to get in quickly and get horses listed. And, we will need people who are willing to purchase these horses quickly. We will be in true crisis mode.

Horses that are on the listings are still, of course, for sale. Everyone will have to make their own personal decision as to whether or not they wish to pursue the purchase of these horses.

Again, I want to reiterate that it is only one barn that is under quarantine. Other barns are free to move their horses on and off of the track, as of this moment. Talk to the trainer whose horse you are interested in before you make any decision. We will update this thread as we hear anything.

And, say a little prayer tonight that this was caught in time and has been safely contained.
    Last edited by Louise; Dec. 1, 2010 at 09:07 AM.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Here is hoping that everything resolves quickly, and that Secret Santa for Horse Rescues is coming at a time when you will need the help even more!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Oh man, that stinks. I'm so sorry for all involved and I really hope it doesn't hurt rehoming efforts too much....
    Y'all ain't right!

Default Bummer, but a very wise decision on your part

Louise, I take it that the track will have to remain open for those horses in the quarantined barn even if it's after the standard closing date of 1 wk after the track closes. Do you know if I am correct on this?
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Louise, I take it that the track will have to remain open for those horses in the quarantined barn even if it's after the standard closing date of 1 wk after the track closes. Do you know if I am correct on this?
    While I have no official answer, I would assume that they would have to. Three weeks puts us at December 11, and one week after the last race day. It seems logical that they would have to allow those trainers time to get their horses off of the track.

Wow that is so unfortunate. I applaud your decision to take a step back. Having lived through an outbreak at Pimlico I have a huge problem with the stable gate remaining open. They really mishandled it at Pimlico, I would hope other tracks would have learned from our mistakes.

Louise I know the pain in your heart over this outbreak.

first for the sake of the horses and people involved

second for the FLTAP work and the change of venue season.

Keep steady and strong.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

I'm so sorry for you guys and all the trainers too. I hope all the horse come out ok. EHV1 is everyone's worst nightmare.

P.S. do you know if this will affect the adoption center?

Original Poster

The Adoption Center isn't near the backside, at all. So, for the horses that are there, I don't think it would have any effect. I don't know whether or not they will be taking in any new horses, however. That is a question best asked them.

Eee. Sorry to hear this- very unfortunate.

Hope it is all resolved soon.

Yikes! Sending jingles and prayers to Finger Lakes that this resolves quickly.

One of the difficult aspects of taking in rescues is the worry that the horse might bring something onto my property.
    We took in a horse from a rescue last year that was UTD on the basics, but died ten days later. Fortunately for us, it was liver damage from years of neglect and not anything contagious. Still, a horrible experience...
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."

I'm so sorry to hear of this. Hopefully it will be cleared up soon!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

I hate to hear this. I hope it is contained and that it won't leave all the horses at risk of not being placed. Please, please don't let Powerful Storm be in the affected barn. I think I am as excited as TooManyChickens for him to get home to her.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Original Poster

No, Powerful Storm is NOT in the affected barn. Thank goodness!

That just plain sucks
    Please do keep us updated - the timing is so amazingly bad.
    -Jessica

I'm thinking maybe I'm not meant to buy from FL this year. This really sucks. I just can't take the chance, and I know the BO would say 'no way'.
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

how awful!! Of COURSE this would happen at the end of the season :\ major jingling/crossing fingers that it is contained and will not spread to more barns/horses.

Thanks for your good wishes and concern, all.

Indeed, there would never be a good time for an outbreak of Herpes, but this is truly an almost tragedy for the horses that would otherwise be moving swiftly off the track into the homes and hearts of people like you. As most of you may recall, this time of year last year was extremely busy and successful. My heart is heavy as, like my fellow volunteers, I have a proprietary feeling about "our" horses and wish the very best for them.

At this point I'm hoping that the quarantine will end with no further horses infected and the "all clear" will be sounded. I am suspicious that the 3 week quarantine coincides with the regular, scheduled closing of the backside. I will hope that the powers that be will give all of us a bit more time to move them off the track with some wiggle room because of the delays caused by the quarantine.

And, dang it, next week we were scheduled to photograph the cutest 3 y.o. gelding I've ever seen! Gray, fuzzy, built like a tank and a total lap dog. I fell in love instantly! If he gets to the family farm, I will get pics of him because he is simply too cute to pass on.

Please wish for, pray, appeal to the gods, perform rituals....whatever....that this resolves quickly and that no horses will drop through the cracks because of it.

jingling for a quick passing of the quarintine and resolution to this unpleasant development.

What is the final date for adoptions, as of now? I still really want to adopt. If the all clear is sounded, I may be able to convince the powers that be.
    For my part, I will shake a whole chicken at the moon every night until this is resolved. Wilma loves a good shake sans bake!
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/