The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Don't mean to be rude BUT do all weanlings go through an UGLY stage?

Ok, this is my first weanling I have ever purchased and I really don't mean to be rude but do they all go through an ugly stage?

She is a registered Oldenburg and has good breeding but I dunno she just isn't the cutest filly I have ever seen and am sooo scared she isn't going to turn out how I have been planning. I bought her hoping to be a top dressage horse and make her into the horse I dream of. She has all the breeding and a really nice mover, just lacking a little in the beauty department.

Just wanted to know if other ppl have gone through this and their out come...Thanks so much!

Not all, but a HUGE percentage do!

Try and enjoy the "cute factor" or her "great personality" at this age! Keep pouring the feed and she will turn into the swan you originally thought she would be!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

[QUOTE=beamer611;5234905]Ok, this is my first weanling I have ever purchased and I really don't mean to be rude but do they all go through an ugly stage?

I think many if not most do...certainly in the stockhorse world they do....usually as yearlings (we refer to it as the "yearling uglies" and try not to get them out to be seen too often and usually only for the 15 minutes or so they seem put together... timing is everything).

Keep feeding, love her baby antics and sooner than you know she'll be looking like a lovely young lady and then, you turn around again, and she's all grown up.

A lot of them do... I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point.

Last week I had the most beautiful weanling. This week? Some ewed neck llama...

How long has she been off the mare? Most ALL of them go through an ugly stage immediately after weaning. I've had some of them look like crap for several months.

If she has any of the following: a big belly, a low back, a ewe neck, both front legs are coming out of the same hole and her hocks are stuck together, I'd say it's the weaning uglies.

I console myself by watching a video of mine at 3 months old. Bears no resemblance to what is before me. Thank god.

Yes, they all do go through an ugly stage. Don't worry. If you pm me your e-mail addy I can send you some before and after pics of Forte in her weanling fugly stage and what she looks like now as a shiny 5 year old dressage horse.
    I currently have a 6 month old weanling. She was SOOO pretty for the first few months and the Oldenburg inspectors raved about her beautiful face. Now she looks like a chia pet.

Yep, and you hide them in the back pasture until they turn 3!

Most do. I've got a coming two year old who hasn't had an ugly day in her life, just gets better and better

Then I've got a weanling who was the prettiest foal, stunning. She's going through one of the most hideous stages I've ever seen. She's going to be BIG though, and I think that has something to do with it. Yes, she is hidden in the back pasture LOL. Similar to the ewe necked llama mentioned above.

Most do go through "funky" stages though. Hide them in the back pasture, takes cute pictures of their heads, and wait for them to turn three
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Vast majority, yes. A couple of my horses have large stretches of undocumented life as I could not bear to take pictures of them. One mare did not look like anything until she was FIVE.

Have faith and hide them behind the barn if necessary.

OMG This is SO very true. I don't know how many times I thought "Gee....should get some updated pictures of the kidz"....only to look through the lens of the camera and shudder at the image that presents itself......

I also agree.......hide them out behind the barn for a bit.....check on them often as you never know when they might be semi proportionate for 6 hours or so...... and would hate to miss the photo-op~!
    Breeders of American Saddlebreds and Georgian Grande's
    www.grandeislefarm.com

Yup! They rarely look good when they're growing.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

My yearling, who is 19 months now, is finally emerging from an "ugly" stage. All of a sudden I see glimpses of the beautiful horse he is going to be. I had my doubts for a while....

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

nope

of 3 foals out of the same mare, 2 never had an ugly day in their lives and the third was soooooo ugly as a yearling (not a weanling) that when she needed surgery the vet (told me later) that she wanted to tell me to not bother and just put her down. The ugly one is now an extremely well put together, intelligent, ATHLETIC and attractive 4 year old. Go figure.
    Last edited by Stacie; Nov. 21, 2010 at 06:26 PM.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Don't worry- your weanling will emerge as a beauty-
    I have one yearling though, that has never been ugly, and one that didn't grow into her uglies until she was 2. She will be 3 in May and as I look at her, I try to concentrate on her good "individual parts" and imagine what the finished "whole" will be! As someone else said, love her for her personality now. She'll get there. Peg
    Fleur de Lis Hanoverians

There's a reason why weanling/yearling ads often picture nice looking foals My lovely filly foal is now a weanling in hiding in a field away from the road You will see glimpses of the swan over the next couple of years, but overnight the gremlins come steal their neck, force their butt up and add 50 pounds of furr
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Malone View Post
    I console myself by watching a video of mine at 3 months old. Bears no resemblance to what is before me. Thank god.
    Ditto!
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Our weanlings at work are in their various stages of ugliness... one is really starting to come around and getting not-so-awful looking (for a bit anyway, lol) but the others... hide 'em, PLEASE!

We have one 5 year old (Ahme P) that has never had an ugly day in her life. From the photos taken at a few days old through Top Five Jumper mare with KWPN as a two year old to date, she has always been drop dead gorgeous.
    On the other hand, we have another one...well, when the 15 horse van arrived from the quarantine center with her on board as a yearling, I took one look and famously muttered, (under my breath, luckily) "What idiot would pay to import THAT!". I, of course, was that idiot! We were in the process of shipping furniture from out West to our new house and I used to take the truckers from the West out to look at my "bronco rodeo mare"--bred to the hilt with Holsteiner jumping genes. The years have passed, each year seeing an improvement as she competed in the 5 yr. old Young Jumpers, the 6 yr. old Young Jumpers, and now moving up to 4'3". Not to speak of winning the Championship for the 5 year old Iron Spring Farm Cup (jumper) with KWPN-NA in 2009. While not my beauty queen, she is definitely among the most talented on the farm, combining power and athleticism and, to be sure, living up to those Holsteiner jumping genes!
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

From my somewhat limited experience I would say that my biggest, tallest, heaviest bone, dressage type prospects tend to look the ugliest until they are 3 or sometimes 4. This is why you will not see any updated photos of them on my website for a verrrrrrrrrry long time. You just have to remember what they looked like when they were balanced and have faith that they will come back together again. I've never had one that looked great at some point and then matured into something ugly.

I had a TB colt that I knew would be gorgeous and a friend of mine had nothing nice to say about him except that he had a nice neck. I kept telling her, he's going to look good when he is 3 or 4. She would clamp her mouth shut and say nothing at all. At age of 3 she saw him and came back to the house muttering to herself "I can't believe it. I just never expected it. I CANNOT believe it." I asked her what the heck she was asking about and she said "That colt. You kept telling me he was going to look good when he matured but I could never see it. You were right, he looks great." He's only gotten better, is nearly 17hh and is as big in bone and structure as a warmblood. They don't all grow that awkward but I think a majority of them do.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL