The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile What dress boot should I buy for FEI Show?

Hi
    I am a paraequestrian, I have actually not been doing much the last couple years because I have been fighting a serious illness, but I am coming back to showing and finally with my trainer's help, I am training at 4th level and working on PSG. I am planning on showing in the spring in a couple USDF and then going for my qualifications at Del-Mar at the FEI CPEDI**** show.

My old boots were Mountain Rider, but they are slowly falling apart. I cannot afford a lot, so I need recommendations of a good boot that will also look good in the show ring. I am going to have a new zipper put in my old boots so that I can use them for practice, but I really need a pair of show boots, either a really nice pair of used or new. I wear a size 10.5 to 11 W to XW depending on the boot. This is my largest factor is that I don't use my legs much, but ever since dealing with the blood clot a couple years ago, my calves have never gone back down and do swell on a regular basis.

Can anyone give me any ideas?

You can personal email me at:
    laurietta45895@gmail.com

By the way, I am hoping to get involved in the board on here since there seems to be so many knowledgeable people and there is much for me to learn. Let me know also of any clinics that would work on position because I am riding a leased Friesian stallion and a PRE stallion at this time to try to qualify on. So hoping that I can get all the instruction I can to help me achieve this.

For cheap (relatively speaking) boots that aren't customs I personally ride in the Ariat Maestro boots. Love them - but they are SUPER stiff.

Good luck showing!

I ride in Ariat Hunters. They are a great dressage boot, (ignore the model name!) run about $360 new, multiple height and calf sizes. NOT really stiff, I have found them easy to break in, and I keep one pair for show because I'm not good at keeping one pair respectable looking

What is your budget?

I just bought a pair of the Ariat Maestros. I am a size 8 with a wide & short calf. Have ALWAYS had trouble finding boots that would fit. Never was able to wear pullons. These fit PERFECTLY. They are the best boots I've ever owned. Highly recamend them.

And how is Sassy?
    Last edited by carolprudm; Nov. 23, 2010 at 11:32 AM.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

If you know the Mountain Horse fit you well and are comfortable, I would just get another pair of those. I have a pair of Konigs for my dressage show boots, but they are so stiff and don't have zippers that I usually end up wearing my Ariat Crowne Pro's or Devon Aires instead, since if my legs swell just a little it is a nightmare to get the Konigs off!
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010