The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff of Stallion test thread...performance testing

What are the lowest performance requirements for acceptance into a registry, PSG or 1.4 meter fences or whatever? Do they change if a stallion is considered a "speciality" horse. By that I mean....say he is only a fantastic dressage stallion but can't jump out of a wet paper bag, will he still be accepted without ever being in a jumping class...since the test requires XC, dressage and jumping.
    Last edited by paintjumper; Nov. 20, 2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: adding info

Test Alternatives from the AHS

In North America, there is also an alternative to the Stallion Performance Test. The stallion must accumulate the following show record:

in dressage: receive a score of at least 63% five (5) times under different judges in FEI Prix St. Georges or higher tests at USEF, FEI or Equine Canada recognized shows, or

in jumping: place in the top five (5) four (4) times at Level 7 or higher at USEF “A” rated shows or Equine Canada Class “1” shows, or

in eventing: place three (3) times in the top 50 percent of finishers at a USEA/USEF Intermediate or higher Horse Trials

Upon recommendation of the Committee, stallions that achieve these performance results may be accepted into the Stallion Book – provided they have also passed AHS inspection.

Yes, he is only required to do one and not all three.

Quote Originally Posted by paintjumper View Post
    What are the lowest performance requirements for acceptance into a registry, PSG or 1.4 meter fences or whatever? Do they change if a stallion is considered a "speciality" horse. By that I mean....say he is only a fantastic dressage stallion but can't jump out of a wet paper bag, will he still be accepted without ever being in a jumping class...since the test requires XC, dressage and jumping.
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

From ISR/Oldenburg NA
    The Lifetime Breeding License can also be achieved by obtaining a minimum of:
    • five placings first, second or third place at three different USEF recognised dressage shows in competitions Prix St. George or higher with minimum scores of 60% , under at least three different judges
    • or either five placings in jumping classes in the top three or three first places in jumping classes over jumps of at least 1,40m (4'7") in height (formerly USEF level 8) at at least three different shows sanctioned by the relevant National Federation (e.g. USEF)
    • or three placings in the top three at recognised Three-Day Events at intermediate / advanced level or higher
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Default Thanks guys

I was curious about the performance part.

Of the stallions licensed and graded through the testing process, how many actually reach the level of performance which are required by the performance route?

A lot will not, I expect.

Cool I don't think it would be that hard...Hocus

If you have an "indeed" stallion prospect....jumper, dressage, or eventing (whatever his speciality)....would be not that hard with a professional in the irons.
    It wouldn't be cheap...but then nothing with these guys is cheap For what its worth...this is the route I would go. If I'm going to show anyway...why not bring Sir Studly along. But then...I have great trainers in my area which makes all the difference.

Are there any performance alternatives for Hunter sires? What are the suggestions for a Stallion prospect aimed at the Hunters?
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

I disagree.

Having spent a bit of time observing the ranks, I believe it is not easy to be at the head of the class particularly in the jumper world. There is plenty of talent and more and more all the time. We are not talking the schooling show circuit here. I have seen classes with up to 90 and 100 entries and being in the top three is quite an achievement when you are riding against the top pros in the business, who ride many horses and have a staff to help get them there. Add to that all the unforseen difficulties that can arise adds to the equation,..., remaining injury free.... in and out of the ring... and more. Those dreams and goals can vanish very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by alliekat View Post
    Are there any performance alternatives for Hunter sires? What are the suggestions for a Stallion prospect aimed at the Hunters?
    The only thing close to a response on this brings to mind what Masu Hamacher told me regarding Robin Hood when he was approved based on performance for one of the registry's hunter book.

He had success competing eventing and then later in jumpers, but was approved as a hunter sire. I remember when she told me because at the time we thought it was funny, so who knows what requirements exist?

To my knowledge, Robin Hood had never stepped foot in a hunter ring... of course I could be wrong (as I often am) but that was my understanding of the conversation. This may raise a hair or two but I am only saying this because I was asked to help find a picture to use in an ad and he had no hunter shots to use, so we picked one with cute knees.

I think the world of Masu and hope she is doing well. I spent some very enjoyable times on her farm in Micanopy.
    Last edited by Hocus Focus; Nov. 22, 2010 at 04:54 PM.

Going the performance route for a dressage stallion in SoCal would be tough, given the competition. One could get the scores, but the placings of 1,2 or 3?

In some of those highly competitive classes in LA or Del Mar, it is hard to place.

KWPN has Hunter requirements on their approval page:
    http://kwpn-na.org/keuring/approval.php

GOV, RPSI and BWP have Hunter requirements as well. Quite tough ones to be sure!!! Top 10 in the country in a 4 ft division.
    www.MarabetFarm.com
    Standing Balt'Amour, Bliss MF & Carry On MF

Sales, Stallion & Young Horse training, lessons
    Foaling, Collecting Stallions, ET, Custom Breeding

Not certain about specific details....but there was some controversy over the approval of Hickstead, a situation where a stellar performance horse met with challenges regarding approval...even with his gold medal. .. and in performance, how much higher can you go?

If one argues it was due to his size, size didn't seem to hold Stroller back in his achievements. Unique examples I am aware do not necessarily prove a point.

Greatness is a rare and special thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieF View Post
    GOV, RPSI and BWP have Hunter requirements as well. Quite tough ones to be sure!!! Top 10 in the country in a 4 ft division.
    Not correct for RPSI
    Top 10 PERCENT in USEF rankings and the division is age specific. !st years at age 5. 2nd year at age 6 and open for older stallions.

Some of these divisions have relatively few horses competing and being in the top 10% was reasonable if you had a nice horse and picked your shows carefully. And there is prize money in these divisions.

But in the last few years the structure of the Hunter divisions has changed.
    Points are now based on dollars won.

The Derby classes are high dollar prize money and besides the points counting for Derby section rankings they also count for the Hunter division of your choice. If you have a good Derby horse getting into the top group in your section ( maybe 5000 points) isn't all that hard.
    But if you have a 'traditional' Hunter you have a better chance in the conformation sections because there are less entries. Maybe 100-150 horses in the country showing in regular conformation.

There are rule change proposals pending for the Hunter divisions again this year.

I doubt the registries are keeping up with current rules.

ISR/Oldenburg NA's rule for hunters
    Hunter stallions may receive a Lifetime Breeding License on a case by case basis if they have superior show records (e.g. won "regular" or "2nd year" National Year End Awards or Championships).
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    ISR/Oldenburg NA's rule for hunters
    Great.
    starting in 2011 there are no more 'regular' Hunters.
    It's three sections of Performance Hunters.

I suspect each registry will need to be contacted to remind them there are changes.

Quote Originally Posted by PineTreeFarm View Post
    Not correct for RPSI
    Top 10 PERCENT in USEF rankings and the division is age specific. !st years at age 5. 2nd year at age 6 and open for older stallions.

Some of these divisions have relatively few horses competing and being in the top 10% was reasonable if you had a nice horse and picked your shows carefully. And there is prize money in these divisions.

But in the last few years the structure of the Hunter divisions has changed.
    Points are now based on dollars won.

The Derby classes are high dollar prize money and besides the points counting for Derby section rankings they also count for the Hunter division of your choice. If you have a good Derby horse getting into the top group in your section ( maybe 5000 points) isn't all that hard.
    But if you have a 'traditional' Hunter you have a better chance in the conformation sections because there are less entries. Maybe 100-150 horses in the country showing in regular conformation.

There are rule change proposals pending for the Hunter divisions again this year.

I doubt the registries are keeping up with current rules.
    Yes you are correct! Sorry my percent key is not working and I didn't realize it. Also was generalizing a bit as it was just a short answer.
    www.MarabetFarm.com
    Standing Balt'Amour, Bliss MF & Carry On MF

Sales, Stallion & Young Horse training, lessons
    Foaling, Collecting Stallions, ET, Custom Breeding

If you have an "indeed" stallion prospect....jumper, dressage, or eventing (whatever his speciality)....would be not that hard with a professional in the irons.
    I heard that a lot over the years however most still do not have a licensed and approved stallion. Lots happens on the way to meet the requirements but approval is often not one of them.
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I heard that a lot over the years however most still do not have a licensed and approved stallion. Lots happens on the way to meet the requirements but approval is often not one of them.
    Agreed. From a pure business standpoint the performance route does not make sense as it can be cost prohibitive (to the tune of 50K to 100K per year for showing and training with top people at big shows, depending on the discipline) and you also have to factor in lost breedings that could have been obtained had the horse been licensed at 3. Also, many stallion owners do not want to subject their horses to public scrutiny as an off day in the show ring can be ruinous to the reputation.

Also, it is one thing to buy and show a PSG horse and quite another to develop one from scratch. No so easily done, even with the very best pros - in our area.
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net