The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How much would this horse cost in the Mid-Atlantic area?

Not selling anything, just trying to get an idea of how much money I need to save to get myself one of these:

15-16 hands
    gelding (not even sure that this affects price?)
    proven record at novice with scores in low 30's and NO xc penalties (not with a pro rider, either, needs to be ammy friendly)
    absolutely no stop
    comfortable gaits
    6-12 years old (or thereabout)
    safe for a timid rider ride event
    easy enough for timid rider to place decent (top 5 at recognized)
    also trail rides and/or foxhunts on the buckle
    as bombproof as possible
    perfect ground manners

Ok, so if this exists, what would it cost?

Worth it's weight in gold! There would be a big difference between a 6yo and a 12 yo with those qualifications. I would say for a 6yo with potential to go higher than novice, $20k. A 12 yo who's maxed out, $12k. That's without the foxhunting qualification. If the horse hunts first flight on the buckle, tack on another $8k. Not all sellers would ask that much for a horse with all these attributes, but a smart seller would because someone will pay $30k for that horse in this area.

I agree ~20-30K, assuming sound and relatively low maintenance.

With the caveat that no horse is really guaranteed to never stop, place in the top 5 with a timid rider, etc. Horses do tend to test boundaries, even sweet saintly ones.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemytbs View Post
    15-16 hands
    proven record at novice with scores in low 30's and NO xc penalties (not with a pro rider, either, needs to be ammy friendly)
    absolutely no stop
    6-12 years old (or thereabout)
    safe for a timid rider ride event
    easy enough for timid rider to place decent (top 5 at recognized)
    also trail rides and/or foxhunts on the buckle
    as bombproof as possible
    perfect ground manners

Ok, so if this exists, what would it cost?
    I really hate when people say they want NO cross country penalties. We sold an amazing training level packer this last year, my kid is an impeccable rider, the horse was always top five at end of the year in area 2 Junior riders and usually top Junior training rider in MD...but STILL had some cross country penalties. Why? Because the rider (between the ages of 10-14) made mistakes, not the horse. Every time they moved up, they got eliminated...total rider error due to nerves. BUT, EVERY ride that horse took care of her. And if they came to a fence at an unsafe distance to jump, he would so NO. This is how my child learned how to ride safely...not on a horse that would jump anything and everything no matter what. He was 14 years old, 15.1 hands, dressage scores in high20's-low30's, and anybody could ride him. We sold him for just under $20K last March, he had a perfect vetting including x-rays. If he had been a few years younger, the price would have been at least $30K. However, just because my kid could ride him and get low dressage scores, doesn't mean just anyone could get up on him and finish in the top three at most events. That being said, horse trials would be a lot safer at the lower levels if there were more horses out there like ours.

Default I own that one!

The difference is mine's a mare. I've owned since yearling. She is 16.1, foxhunted for 3 years with Red Rock Hounds, fast field. Solid novice horse (we only do local event derbies), good dressage scores at that level. We're always working on the canter, since she is Shire cross. She will be 12 in 2011. People always ask me if she is for sale and I always say no. I promised her a life with me forever, but, if I wanted to sell her, it would take a good chunk of change, because she is truly worth it as a novice packer. Good luck to you...

Wow, isn't that what everyone is looking for? For a novice packer like you describe, with potential to move up, I'd say easy $20K+ (assuming sound). If it's at the older end of your age range and top of his abilities, then maybe $10-15K.

15k to 30k ...depending on where you get it and how much mileage it has.... enjoy your search!
    "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

This horse does not exist! LOL, just kidding! I do agree that this is what everyone wants (including me!), but if you are willing to compromise just a bit I bet you can find it for around 10K. A friend of mine bought a paint who had done well in unrec, and done lots of trail riding, and she plans to hunt him this winter, and I'm sure he will be great. He's easy, safe, and just scored a 30.5 in dressage and went double clear at Waredaca.
    There are so many nice unrec events around here that I would not hesitate to buy a horse "proven" at that level. It's pretty easy to look up records on them, too. Now I am assuming since you are timid, that you don't need a horse that can "move up the levels", that would probably add another 10-15K at least!

Depends entirely on who owns it, and how anxious they are to sell.

But if the owner is not desperate to sell- I agree, over $20k.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I agree with the $20K-$30K assessments. On the lower side if it's a packer that maxes out a training or has soundness concerns.On the higher side if it has Prelim+ ability and/or is rock sound.

I have found that sometimes mares can be more expensive if they are good broodmare prospects but NOT if they are mare-ish.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Well lets say I hypothetically have
    5yr 16.1 gelding solid built correct
    who got several months of good Fox Hunting education but not 1st flighted
    Has starter trailed Begineer novice scored under 40
    clean n safe XC and s/j
    ammy friendly
    scope for way more
    clean should vet.
    I would expect to get a no nonsense $10K w/ more if he went to say Aiken for a few weeks or went out 1st flight by spring.

The Fox hunting parts the rub, those 1st flight horses don't come cheap around here $35,000. easy if you can find one for sale.