The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 164 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    I have been retained by the owner of this horse and a suit has been filed in Harris County Court at Law #2.
    Good.

If you need an expert (equine behavior), I'm not that far away. Or can probably recommend someone else.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    I think it was ignorance on the trainers part to tie a horse with known tieing issues up, a sad tragic mistake.
    I think it is more than ignorance or a "sad mistake" when she was apparently told, quite clearly, to NOT tie the horse. At least that's what I'm gathering from reading all this.

If you are told not to do something, do it anyway, then your action causes death or injury, I would think you would be responsible.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

If the owner told this woman not to tie the horse and she snubbed it to a tree, then the trainer clearly is in big trouble.
    I have to say tying to a tree is fairly commen with some old time trainers, you tie the horse up to a high branch over their head not to the turnk of the tree, otherwise you risk the horse wrapping itself around the tree. I wouldn't do this but if you are ever considering taking your horse to a cowboy trainer and it has tying issues, ask if the trainer does this sort of thing.

"A sad, tragic mistake?"

WTF?

Never mind the reports of abuse, (which we are all waiting to find the truth out on) who was the Darwin candidate that tied the horse in the first place, in such a manner they couldn't get loose?

I've never experienced, or known anyone else to have experienced a situation where the horse was tied in such a way that they died due to panic and self induced injuries.

Have I seen them panic and flail? You bet. Have they had a method to be released in case of emergency?
    YES!
    It's called one of the first rules of horsemanship. You don't knowingly create situations that can hurt you or the horse.

IF this was caused by this woman, then she is billing herself as an 'expert', someone who is PAID to work with horses. These kinds of 'mistakes' aren't to be tolerated when you are putting someone in the position of being a teacher/coach/trainer/leader.

Intentional or not, it was pretty f-ing stupid.

I will make only one more post to this thread to clarify two things and to ask for a bit of help:

First, the trainer and barn owner were told repeatedly not to tie the horse at all. They agreed they would not.

Second, there IS an eyewitness to the incident. I have spoken with that witness to confirm what she saw.

Now for the help: If you have witnessed Alisija Granger lose her temper and strike a horse, I would like to hear from you, as I would like to establish that she has a history of such behavior. Several people have already come forward, but the more that can testify the stronger the case.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    I will make only one more post to this thread to clarify two things and to ask for a bit of help:

First, the trainer and barn owner were told repeatedly not to tie the horse at all. They agreed they would not.

Second, there IS an eyewitness to the incident. I have spoken with that witness to confirm what she saw.

Now for the help: If you have witnessed Alisija Granger lose her temper and strike a horse, I would like to hear from you, as I would like to establish that she has a history of such behavior. Several people have already come forward, but the more that can testify the stronger the case.
    Please convey my condolences to the owner and I hope anyone who says they have seen this kind of behavior antes up. Doesn't sound like much COTH can do except get the word out that you need prior witnesses but if there is just let us know. I think the Crayola bus might just pass through Texas if you ask it to .
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

I can't be of any help, but Go Get 'Em Sonesta!!

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
    My sentiments exactly. I will be cheering Sonesta on from California!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
    Cheering for you from MI. This person will never get her horse back, but maybe you can keep this woman from ever doing this again.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

How did the horse die? I thought I read it was from head trauma. Was he still tied to the tree when he died?

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
    How did the horse die? I thought I read it was from head trauma. Was he still tied to the tree when he died?
    From the youtube comments of the poster of the video with the bloody tree:

1. Horse was trained to stand, not be tied. The trainer was informed and instructed to follow this and not tie him to ANYTHING. There is a witness to prove this.

2. Trainer tied the horse disobeying the owners explicit instructions. She tied a horse that was known to panic when tied. This is a hazard to the horse. That is a fact. Obviously

3. The trainer was hired to train under saddle for jumping and dressage, not ground wrk or horsemanship

4. There was a witness. Witness confirmed this: horse was tied to tree after he began to panic from being whipped. When horse would move after being tied, she would hit him. The more she hit him the more he would panic and bash his head against the tree. He collapsed and was hanging from the tree by his halter. They had to cut the halter to release him from the tree. He got up for a couple of seconds just to collapse and die.
    5. The horse was trailered to the vet where the prelim necropsy showed the COD was a severe blow to the head breaking the skull coupled with damage to the neck.

6. The final necropsy confirmed this along with statements confirming that abuse may have been involved from observations of the entire body. Head to tail.

7. The trainer and owner of facility claimed that it was of a heart attack and refused to admit head injury.

8. Trainer never looked owner in the eye or apologized face to face.
    8. Sheriff's office and SPCA confirmed it was a case worthy of investigating.

9. Owner is taking legal actions

10. Channel 11 did a story on it, whether or not it has been aired is unknown to me, but I was contacted by the reporter covering the story.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Good Lord, that is dreadful. I can't imagine why she was beating the horse while he was tied. What a viscious human being.

Not to rag on the witness, but I cannot IMAGINE seeing something like this and NOT doing anything about it unless I was a frightened child. I am not a big or violent person by any means, but just reading about this makes me sick to my stomach and boiling with anger. I have no doubt I would have gone ballistic on this woman if I witnessed these sorts of actions.

What an absolutely disgusting woman. Go get 'em, Sonesta. I wish I had information which could help build your case.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

mg, sometimes people are not capable of saying what they wish they could say or do in a particular moment. Many of us have witnessed things we did not like and gone over them in our minds, wishing we could have said or done differently.

It is possible that the witness was frightened of what this trainer may inflict upon their own horse (if they had/have one at that barn). I can tell you, as someone who once stood up for a neighboring farmer's starving horses and had a very large grown man draw his fist, ready to hit me, standing up/doing the right thing, well, is not always the best thing. Sometimes it can get you hurt or worse - just as Helen Brach.

This incident is clearly above and beyond "normal" training. The fact that the woman was told not to ever tie the horse is particularly disturbing. I feel so bad for the owner, and I am so happy Sonesta is taking this case. I pray justice is served for the horse and the owner.

I'm glad the owner is pursuing legal action. It sounds like the trainer was totally in the wrong even by tying the horse, much less if the allegations of abuse are true. Good luck, Sonesta.

And as far as the witness goes, in addition to what Eye in the Sky said, it's really common for people to just freeze in situations and not be able to figure out what to do. You take a presumably trusted authority figure (as most trainers are at their barns) and see them doing something horrendous, you might just not be able to react. Or at least, not react in time. I'm sure they're probably beating themselves up over it, and I'm glad they had the courage to come forward.

Quote Originally Posted by CosMonster View Post
    I'm sure they're probably beating themselves up over it, and I'm glad they had the courage to come forward.
    Oh, definitely! I think it is still very brave and commendable that they are willing to testify, and I thank them for that. I guess I differ from others in my ability to react, so I will reserve judgment
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Even though the horse was removed I found the video very shocking and disturbing. I've never seen that much blood from a human caused (or induced) injury.

Horse is afraid to be tied. So we'll tie him and beat him? Yeah that will work.

Sonesta I hope you can make this "trainer" pay out the nose. My sympathies to the owner and the poor horse.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I am not familiar with this specific trainer. However, the Houston SPCA should have more info about the owner of this facility. They have made multiple trips to this barn prior to this incident.

Last edited by Equibrit; Jan. 13, 2011 at 08:28 PM.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

deleted - different Callegari
    Last edited by grayarabs; Dec. 22, 2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: correction