The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 163 of 164 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164 LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,260 of 3267

Anybody know if they went to court yet and how it was ruled?
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Since there is no confidentiality agreement in the settlement agreement, I can tell you that the defendants paid the plaintiff $35,000 to make the case go away without any admission of liability on their part.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    Since there is no confidentiality agreement in the settlement agreement, I can tell you that the defendants paid the plaintiff $35,000 to make the case go away without any admission of liability on their part.
    cheap.

But then again, this thread will forever pop up when her name is googled
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

3 members found this post helpful.

Amazing that defendants did not insist on a confidentiality clause. I require one as a matter of course and the type of law I engage in is nowhere near what this case involved.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thx. for the closure, Sonesta! "Confidentiality" would have been incredibly ironic in this case given the houseguest commentary here. I was beyond amazed that they kept the crazy rants up on their website. But, they are still in business - just hoping that they are running it better for the horses.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Thanks sonesta. Good to Know.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Details for the record, courtesy of MHP;
    http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/equine...efendants.aspx
    BACKGROUND FACTS
    7. Plaintiff RoseAnn Carr ("Carr") owned a ten year old Thoroughbred gelding horse by thename of Seattle Swift, ("the Horse"). This horse had shown great promise as a potential show horse and Carr desired to have the horse professionally trained for the show disciplines of dressage and stadium jumping.
    8. Carr was acquainted with the owners ofthe Defendant business, Callegari Equine Technologies, LLC dba Callegari Equestrian Club and Callegari Arabians (collectively "Callegari"). These owners are Eduardo and Candace Callegari. These owners represented to her that they had in their employ a professional trainer who was able to give the horse the professional training sought by Carr. This trainer was Defendant Alisija Zabavska Granger ("Granger").
    9. On or about October 9, 2010, Carr trailered the Horse to Callegari's stables where Carr and Defendants entered into a contractual agreement whereby the Horse was to be boarded at Defendant Callegari's stable and trained by Defendant Granger. At this time Carr took great care to tell Candace Callegari that the Horse could not be tied to anything in any way because he would panic and pull back on the rope and would be likely to injure himself or the facility. Carr told them he was very gentle and could be easily groomed, bathed and tacked up without tying him. Candace Callegari stated that they understood and would not tie him and would tell Granger not to tie him. This agreement not to tie the Horse became a part of the contract between the parties.
    10. On more than one occasion after the horse was at Callegari, Carr reminded Granger directly that the horse could not be tied. Granger indicated that she understood and would not do so.
    11. Despite her admonitions about tying the Horse, on November 18, 2010, at approximately 12:00 pm, Carr received a call from Granger saying her horse was hurt. When Carr asked how bad he was injured and what had happened, Granger told her that she had tied the Horse to a tree and that he was down on the ground.
    12. When asked if a vet had been called, Granger said no and Carr hung up the phone and called the vets at Waller Equine Hospital to send them out to the stable.
    13. Granger called back in a few moments and told Carr that the Horse was dead.
    14. Carr called the vets again and reported that the Horse was dead.
    15. Carr called Candace Callegari to ask if she would go out to the stable area and confirm that the Horse was dead and did not need the vet to come. Candace called back and said he was dead and that "It was probably a heart attack." She then offered to bury the horse on Callegari property.
    16. Carr declined this offer and asked that the body be taken to Waller Equine Hospital for disposal. Candance agreed to do this.
    17. At approximately 4:06pm, Carr received a phone call from a young woman saying that she saw what happened. She said that she had witnessed Granger abusing horses before this, but that this was horrible and that she thought Carr should know the truth. She said that Granger had tied the Horse to a tree and that every time the Horse tried to pull back she beat him with something in her hand. Each time she struck the Horse, he would leap forward and slam his head into the tree. This happened several times until the Horse finally collapsed and died.
    18. This witness said she was afraid to give her name because she was a client at Callegari, but Carr was able to identify her by her phone number on her "caller ID."
    19. Carr phoned the vet and asked them to perform a necropsy. Dr. Chris Boutros examined the body of the Horse and said that it had suffered very severe head trauma consistent with the report of the eye witness and that he believed this head trauma was the cause of death but that Carr should send the body to Texas A&M University's Large Animal Hospital for full necropsy to rule out Candace's claim that he died of a heart attack.
    20. At 4:53pm the eye witness phoned back and told Carr how to find the location of the incident and that the employees of Callegari were trying to wash up the area to remove the blood.
    21. A friend of Carr's, Delta Humphreys, went to the scene and asked Candace to direct her to where the horse had died. Candace misdirected Ms. Humphreys and told her that the incident had occurred in an area in front of the barn. Ms. Humphreys followed the eye witness's directions and located the actual area of the incident far removed from the barn. She then videotaped the area. Clearly visible in the video footage is the tree covered with blood, the blood covered ground disturbed by the Horse's struggles. Also visible in the video footage is the water hose the Defendants used to try and clean up the scene.
    22. The necropsy from Texas A&M University's Large Animal Hospital confirmed that the horse died of severe head trauma.
    23. All physical evidence confirms the eye witness report ofwhat happened.
    24. Upon later research, Carr discovered that Granger has a worldwide reputation for having a bad temper and for beating horses. Moreover an additional witness has come forward to report that while she boarded her horse at Callegari, her horse foundered and was down in its stall and that Granger beat the horse to force it to get up and the owner later found the horse cowering in a corner of its small turnout paddock.
    25. The information about Granger's previous abuse of horses is readily available to anyone attempting to investigate her background. Either Callegari was negligent in failing to investigate the background of Granger before hiring her or they hired her despite her background. Report of other abuses of horses while at Callegari should also have been known to defendant Callegari.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

4 members found this post helpful.

That is horrible!

Is this trainer still working in the US?
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Yes, she still lives in the Houston area and she is doing horse and rider training though she appears to be focusing on Endurance riding. Where she is doing her training, I do not know though she is likely still working out of Don Stine's property, which seems to have been for sale - $1.3 million if you were wondering and grossly overpriced given the documented value of the property - a few times with no buyers since this whole thing blew up and his name got thrown into the mix.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Ugh. So that's it? No actual cruelty charges? Wow.

I think she needs a different line of work . Maybe at the local DMV? She seems to have the correct temperament....

(No offense intended if there any DMV workers here).
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

God, I had forgotten how horrible that whole mess was
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Yes, it was a sordid and odd mess. Made for good discussions though.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Absolutely amazes me how she can keep on going, getting more horses to train etc. Do people honestly not know the words "Due Diligence?" Head * Desk
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Thanks for the cliff notes version, equibrit.

Well until people raise heck with their local authorities, animal abusers won't be punished. Many states now make some types of animal abuse felonies, instead of misdemeanors. When people get the news media after someone who does something like what was done to this horse, then animal control, and judges and prosecutors, pay attention. Voters get listened to.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Only 35k?!!! WTF?! Were we ever told the value of the horse?! 35k just doesn't seem that much to me (in the grand scheme of things) given that theres so much documented evidence against the defendants.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Settlements rarely ever make sense. It's a give and take scenario most of the time and it can go back and forth for ages.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Yes, she's still in this area. Yes, she's still training. But her options are a bit more limited than they once were.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Only 35k?!!! WTF?! Were we ever told the value of the horse?! 35k just doesn't seem that much to me (in the grand scheme of things) given that theres so much documented evidence against the defendants.
    Yep, and I doubt the hores's owner ended up with more than a couple of grand given the cost of law suits. A very good friend of mine successfully sued a Dr. for malpractice. The settlement was 125k and my friend actually pocketed 12k. Not much compensation for 2 years of pain, and unemployment.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Wow...I missed the original podting...thanks for presenting a graphic picture of a grisly deed and telling me she is still in business... She should have been jailed for abuse.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Would that that were still a possibility. Sonesta, any word on that?
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/