The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need COTH "Motivation Buddy" for Getting Young Horse Going Again

Hey Guys,

I have really been dragging my heels about getting our young horse back into work since his injury/time-off. I figured this winter would be a good time to commit to working with him on a regular basis - maybe with a motivating goal of a CT in early spring?

Anyone else out there who could use the power of the buddy system to tackle a horsey challenge?

Thanks!

Hey, I'll be with ya. This is the fall/winter my far-to-green for 6 yo TB gets introduced to the working world for real. Various reasons for delays all out of the way now, committing myself to working him minimum 5 days a week through the winter!

It hasn't been easy, as though he is a sweet horse, he isn't *quite* convinced this is a job that he has to do - he's still of half the mind that there might be some way to intimidate or otherwise convince me to let him go back to his happy pasture puff lifestyle. Some days I have summon my courage to push on, as I know there are still a few rebellions to be sat through before he truly has a work ethic! But it's my fault he's still this green, so I just grin & bear it & push on!

Though his attitude is improving, I know the weeks ahead will get harder as the cold and darkness closes in (I have no indoor!), so I'd love a "buddy" to keep me encouraged and for whom I'd do the same!

This weekend will be a big one for my big-little boy - his first Hunter Pace, and the next day first lesson with a BNT.

Sure to have some sticky moments, but determined to hang on and jump start his education a little each week!

So, what is your plan with your young one this winter? Here's to arriving at spring with two young horses catching up well in their training!!!

I need help to get the motivation to go ride after work. school from 8-2, then work from 2-6.... we've got a fab arena, and great lights, and he's not spooky at night! I just need the motivation to drag my butt out there! if I would just work him regularly, I could be showing in January. He's ready... just not "tuned-up" ya know?
    proud momma of an evil grey QH/Arab who can jump the moon... and he stole my heart

EHB, I had to ride late last winter too. It was hard to get it done as the arena was so far from home. This winter I have him close to home, no indoor, but I feel fortunate to be able to ride in the last bit of daylight - though I do have lights; he just seems to go better with natural light. I figure this arrangement will work best through winter as the footing will have as much time as possible to warm up in the sun. It's still hard though. My boy is still too green to be fun, and the brisk winter windy afternoons ahead are sure to have their special "fun" moments too! But I know he won't ever be fun to ride until he gets enough saddle time - can't afford to pay to have it done, know I can do it, so I'm making it a priority this winter!

Good luck with yours!

Right there with you Arcadien. My guys 6 and is really ready to get out...I just have trouble finding the time. With two kids (3.5y and 9m) and a full time 830-6:00 job, I'm beat when I get home. He's progressing on 3-4 days a week and is really a good guy. But there are some weeks when I only ride 1 time. I hate paying for lessons when I know I can do most of the ground work myself, but committing for lessons is what makes me get on consistently. I'm working out 3-4 times a week, so that helps with me, but I can't get the fitness on him and my jumping SUCKS! lol! It's dark, and cold when I get home and I'm not very motivated riding by myself.

I posted this on my "Celebrate baby steps with your greenie" thread last week. It was basically to remind us to appreciate the journey and the baby steps we make aloong the way. It's amazing how much the greenies can progress once they get some consistent work. Doesn't matter what you do (long lining, longing with side reins, riding, bomb-proofing them) they WILL make progress. Last year at this time, I bought a 3 year old. She had 3 gaits: walk, crazy fast trot, and kick out at the leg (and the occasional buck--so 4 gaits). We worked all winter--not long sessions, but a routine of something 4-5 days a week. Some nights it was just grooming and picking out feet. Some nights it was lunging over cavaletti. By spring she was hacking around the fields with others and alone. She had 3 gaits: W/T/C. By summer, we were doing little dressage shows and schooling x-c. At the end of summer and in the fall, we did 3 BN events--all clean x-c rounds. It's amazing how they move along when you put in the time. So put a plan together--decide the stuff you are going to work on each week and get your booty to the barn. There you go--tough love style motivation.

Excellent! OK check your PMs everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by masoethe View Post
    Right there with you Arcadien. My guys 6 and is really ready to get out...I just have trouble finding the time. With two kids (3.5y and 9m) and a full time 830-6:00 job, I'm beat when I get home. He's progressing on 3-4 days a week and is really a good guy. But there are some weeks when I only ride 1 time. I hate paying for lessons when I know I can do most of the ground work myself, but committing for lessons is what makes me get on consistently. I'm working out 3-4 times a week, so that helps with me, but I can't get the fitness on him and my jumping SUCKS! lol! It's dark, and cold when I get home and I'm not very motivated riding by myself.
    It takes a lot of motivation doesn't it?! I'm finally making headway with consistency when I told myself, this is another JOB. Yeah, I love my boy and after riding I feel on cloud nine, but getting myself out there in the cold and coming dark and ready to work a green sprightly young horse all on my own - well, it takes extra umph to make it happen! Thinking of it as my job has helped. He's mine, its my fault he's this green, this old, but I know how to fix the problem, so on I go!

Not to say there isn't some joy involved but it usually takes me the mood of firm dedicated "MUST DO!" to get my butt out there and in the right mood to get on and train - especially at this time of year, alone and with no indoor!

Glad to have company! Thanks OP for starting this thread (PM response on the way!)

And slp2, another lol, as if I didn't actually respond to your thread, I know I typed one out - I might have deleted it though, as it seemed underachievement to be celebrating the first time I got my young boy on the trailer by myself when he didn't want to, and then when my trail buddies horse threw a fit and bucked her off in front of my guy, celebrating that he didn't join in the revolt! Alas, they were "steps", should have left the post there, as I know you and the other posters appreciate "baby steps" for what they truly are!

Btw, jingles please for me tomorrow - Koki and I going on our first hunter pace - I know he can handle the ride, but the visual and sensual overload of that many horses in one place will have me losing some sleep tonight, lol.

Alas, surviving it will be one more HUGE baby step accomplished, you know?