The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Going rate for a trace clip?

For those of you who don't clip your own horses, what do you pay for a trace clip? I've been getting some quotes that seem really high (~$120), but maybe that's just what it costs now!

I clip for a living, and because trace clipping is twice the pain in the a$$ of a body clip due to the pain of making both sides look the same-- for me, they are the same price --$100, I will however, do a hunt clip (leaving legs, and head) for $80.
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

I have always clipped my own horses, but the person who used to come to the barn to do other people's steeds charged $120 for a full clip (including head and legs) and $100 for a trace or hunter clip (as described by pinkdiamondracraing). Given the expense, most people invested approx. $300 in really good body clippers and they paid for themselves in less than 3 years.

Body clipping isn't too hard as long as you have patience and a steady hand. I liked to do it late at night after everyone was gone. Keep yourself from getting itchy by wearing a rain suit and get a pal to pick up a leg or hold the tail to keep your steed from dancing around. You can return the favor for them later!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

I body clip on the side for extra money as well. Trace clips I only charge $75, they don't take me long to do at all so I charge less. Hunter clips are $125 (but I do up to cheak bones on the face not stopping at throat latch) and full clips are $150.

Dios Mio!

Is the horse bathing included in the price? For that kind of change, you can buy yourself a pair of A5 clippers and have them paid off in two clip jobs. just sayin....
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

A girl who does some clipping on the side quoted me $40-$70 for a trace depending on how high, and $70 for a hunter clip. This is in southern Md. I sincerely doubt that includes bathing, but wouldn't it be nice?

I just had a chaser clip put on my horse and I paid $30. She did a wonderful job.
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham

Default I charge

$140.00 for a clip job (first time)
    $100.00 for each following clip

Does not include bathing, but I will clip a dirty horse; I just make sure the client knows the clip won't be as show sharp for the first week.

Some horses need two to three clips a season so I try to give a bit of a break so it doesn't break the bank.

Clip includes full body and under and sides of faces. If a full body including the entire face and entire leg, I add an extra $20.00

Drugs are extra

I have quite a few clients who do their own horses.... fine by me. I hate to clip so more then happy not to do their horses, I give them a lesson and observe / instruct their first attempt; for this I just charge a regular lesson fee.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterOffRed View Post
    Dios Mio!

Is the horse bathing included in the price? For that kind of change, you can buy yourself a pair of A5 clippers and have them paid off in two clip jobs. just sayin....

I have my own clippers (really good body clippers and trimmers)...and I can do a very good job. But guess what...I'm still sitting here at work at 6:45 on a Friday night (currently waiting on a large document to print)....with probably several more hours worth of work to do. And weekend work to do.

I don't have that spare 45-65 minutes it takes me to clip my horses. And there are other things I'd rather do when I have a free moment.....including ride my horse

So often it is worth it for me to pay someone (I expect to pay $85-150 per clip with 150 being full body and legs). If they use my clippers and blades...then I pay a bit less.

If I have time...I do it myself. And when I was younger....I used to always clip my own horses and other people's horses.

It is a great way to make a bit of extra money if you need it....because there are a lot of us out there who just lack the time. So if you don't know how and are looking for an easy way to make some money......get practicing

I'd rather be clipping my horse then sitting here in the office...but oh well.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I'd rather be clipping my horse then sitting here in the office...but oh well.
    uugh! I feel for you because I'm right there with you...didn't leave work until 6:30 on a Friday Night...hello, Loserville!
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!