The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ripped up hock?

Can anyone advise me of what they use to heal the inside of a hock that got ripped up during a race??

I just picked up a horse from the track, he raced on sat and ripped the inside of his hock up pretty bad, the trainer had Blue Kote on it, Iam going out now to REALLY asses the damage.

TIA

Default Yuck!

Upon further probing, there is some proud flesh, I will have to go to the vet and get something. Should have at least tried a stitch job?? In the old days we used to use a mixture of liquid DMSO and liquid furacin, maybe there is something new now???

Anyone with any home remedies!!

If it is an open wound, the DMSO will send him through the roof. Wounds keep looking worse up to a week after injury, Cleanse w chlorhexidine, hose and apply furacin. Get some SMZ's in him too. I think wounds heal better when on them.

That's the protocol in my barn. Good luck.

Some bute or banamine will knock down swelling nd efema aound he wound, too. If there reallynis proud flsh after healing try Granulex on scab.

What's an SMZ? Thanks.

Exclamation

I would gently clean it with chlorhexadine, and then put on a thick layer of Silvadene ointment. For the latter you may need a prescription . You may need to alternate with a proud flesh ointment if it rears its ugly head.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Ok what is chlorhexadyne and where can I get it??

I gently scrubbed it last nite with Betadine, and the hose.

I would never put DMSO on an open wound! I have only used it on proud flesh, which isn't an open wound, and never a lot and always with the liquid furacin.

He is on some bute. Poor guy

Thanks all!!

Chlorhexidine is the generic for a product sold by Ft Dodge as Nolvasan. It comes in ointments, scrubs (soapy) and solutions. The dilute solution is great for wound care,as is the ointment. But for any large raw area I prefer the silvadene.

Tack shops, livestock supply stores carry it.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Great info as usual, thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by tbracer65 View Post
    DITTO!!

Saw it on Heartland Vet Supply and got a bottle on a whim... few weeks later a retired mare tore a very large hole in her face and stitches failed so I thought it would be a good test case

In less than a month the wound (all the way to the bone, and about 2 inches square) had healed! There is still a scar but just because of loss of tissue, she was only on SMZ's for a week and there was never any puss or foulness! I just sprayed in on 3X day and every couple of days cleaned it well.

OP--Good luck with you new guy!!!!!
    owner and friend of members of the Limping And Majestic Equine Society.

Wink

FYI-Face wounds, fortunately, heal pretty easily. Now if lower leg wounds would do as well......!!!!!!!

I got chlorhexadyne mouthwash from my dentist

"ACCLEAN Mfg HenrySchein works great! for me and horse nasty cuts!

Wear rubber gloves with Furicin

Quote Originally Posted by sonomacounty View Post
    What's an SMZ? Thanks.
    It's an antibiotic.

I've never used vetericyn, but I swear by this stuff www.aloeadvantage.com!
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by sonomacounty View Post
    What's an SMZ? Thanks.
    SMZ is the abbreviation for sulfamethoxazole. It's an antibiotic used in combination with TMP, or trimethoprim. The combination is known as Bactrim or Septra in human medicine.

Chlorhexidine is also found in the human first aid aisle as Hibiclens if you can't get to a tack shop or farm supply store. It is also found in Peridex and Periostat mouth wash for humans, but this is a much lower concentration (4% v 0.63% I think).

Adolph's Meat Tenderizer works great to prevent proud flesh. It contains a natural enzyme - I believe it's papain. It can also prevent healthy flesh from growing, so I've only used it sparingly, but it's worked wonders. I used it on this wound and it healed beautifully with no signs of proud flesh.

My vet recommended against Furacin, saying it was associated with the formation of proud flesh. Has anyone ever noticed that?

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    FYI-Face wounds, fortunately, heal pretty easily. Now if lower leg wounds would do as well......!!!!!!!
    HA! Dont ask about current use of the stuff.... barn cat lost tail in equipment belt....

I am not waiting on a leg wound to try but this will be my first choice.... you should have seen the face wound... BUT the product does claim to use "blood flow" to its advantage and blood flow is low in the lower leg so I dont expect great results but the hock is upper leg...... sorta....
    owner and friend of members of the Limping And Majestic Equine Society.

Thanks again everyone, vet is coming out tomorrow, unfortunately for another issue, (white line disease related) so I will have her look at this also.

On another note it appears that he has ripped off his chestnut, on that hock, does anyone know if that will grow back, just wondering???

God I hope all goes well, I have only had him since monday afternoon, and I love him so!!

Thumbs down

Ditto on nixing the Furacin. It has been reported to retard healing-which would encourage proud flesh.

Arrrrghhhh I can not find Nolvasan anywhere in the country, can you believe it, seems it is on manufacturer back order everywhere!!

Can anyone recommend anything else???

Quote Originally Posted by QuillcoteFarm View Post
    Arrrrghhhh I can not find Nolvasan anywhere in the country, can you believe it, seems it is on manufacturer back order everywhere!!

Can anyone recommend anything else???
    Hibiclens is the same active ingredient. Find it in the first aid aisle of your drug store. It's in an aqua colored bottle.