The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default transitioning indoor/outdoor farm cat to indoor only

Anyone have any tips? Poor Poor Moe HAS to stay inside from now on, and he's miserable. Crying at the door to go out. Anyone have any suggestions?
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

I was going to tell you to wait for the nasty cold weather and he won't be crying to go out any more. But not sure that happens in SC! I don't really have any ideas - our cats love to go out and are miserable when they can't until they decide it's their idea to stay in (bad cat weather).

You just have to stick it out. When my kitty went from outdoor only stray to indoor/outdoor there was an adjustment period that included replacing many broken window screens. (don't open your windows, LOL)
    Then another transition period going from indoor/outdoor to indoor only.
    Over time many just figure the crying to go out and constantly diving for open doors doesn't work and they give up.
    It also helps to have plenty of toys and one on one play time to keep them occupied.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

It will take time for the cat to adjust. To make it easier, make sure your cat is getting enough exercise. Indoor cats need interactive play time to get enough exercise. Get some cat toy wands and play for 15-20 minutes twice a day. It may not stop it completely right away, but it will make the transition easier.

I have two seriously active indoor cats and they need a good deal of play or else they keep us up all night.

Also make indoors attractive to the cat -- make sure he has scratching posts and perches to use. Maybe even put a perch in front of a window so he can relax up high while looking outside.

Just takes time ~ he will be better soon ~ Jingles ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Guess we got lucky with Pumpkin kitty!

We had to put our old male house cat, Tiger, down due to liver failure. Remaining house cat, Snickers, was miserable!!! Decided that since Pumpkin didn't really fit in with the barn kitties and was not a hunter, that we'd try her at home as a new indoor companion for Snick.

Enter house, put carrier on the floor and open door. Pumpkin lays there, in the carrier, tail flumping. For an hour, she just layed there. Finally had to pour her out of the carrier. Takes four steps, feels the carpet, lays down and sighs. Instant house cat

I'll just ditto the above suggestions: lotsa stuff to keep their attention, elevated perches, good window views for Cat Television and good play time.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I used to be the barn cat retirement home. They came to me when they got too old, sickly or disinterested in being barn cats. It took them a few days to reset their clocks but I found that they were always more than ready to come inside and live in the lap of luxury where the air was temperature controlled, food and water was always fresh and available, and all the surfaces were soft and fuzzy. Not a single one ever even walked passed the front door to take a peek outside!
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

My two pampered, purebred, always-a-housecat, Himalayans absolutely LOVE to go sit outisde on the front porch, but only in moderate temperatures. The kitten, okay, almost two year old who was BORN in a barn is freaked out if you open the door... heaven forbid you try to take him outside... he tries to sit on my head!

The couple of outdoor cats that my family has transitioned in the past took to living indoors quite well. They learned that if they wanted to go outside for a walk they had to have a harness on... otherwise, don't even try to bolt for the door. None of them were ever particularly interested in toys though. One of the cats' best friend is now a Lorikeet, which is hysterical since this was the cat that would hide behind the Hibiscus bush next to the bird bath and wait for the birds to finish their bath before catching them.
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

We'll have to see if we can intice him with some play. We have really wide window sills so he can sit in any window he wants. He was an inside kitten that grew to love the outdoors, but now we have a cat poisoner in the neighborhood and I already lost my heart cat, I can't let Moe fall prey to this bastard before I catch him.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Oh geez, what a sucky reason to have to transition to an indoor cat.
    Sorry about your loss.

Is your cat an active one? if so a good way to keep them active (and keep your furniture from getting shredded) is to buy an inexpensive carpet runner and tack to the the wall. Pick a nice color and it looks like modern art. Buy dried cat nip and rub it into the carpet.

A kitty can amuse itself for hours playing Spiderman (Spidercat) all up and down a hung carpet.

Or drop both cat and pingpong ball into a dry bathtub, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

You just have to stick it out. And watch out for escapes. You can't ever, ever leave a door open again.

I had to bring my cats in about a year ago. We now have coyotes in the neighborhood and I won't risk it.

I didn't realize what good mousers mine were until I had the neighbor mention that his barn was now overrun with mice and rats since my cats aren't over there cleaning the place up. He's not happy. I offered to lock my Corgis up in his barn for a couple of days. They ain't so good with the mice, but a rat rarely gets past them.

He is a VERY active yearling cat, We picked up some new toys tonight and they seem to be doing the trick. We have some spare wood around I think we are goin to build him a climby play structure too. Also picked up some live catnip and cat grass. We'll see if we can pacify with drugs His favorite pastime is Lizard hunting.. I may just have to slip occasionally and let a little anole sneak into the house for him.

I think we are going to try to do the spider cat thing too, that sounded hilarious and I think he would really enjoy that. Thankfully my other two cats have less than NO interest in EVER going outside.

I'm really very sad about my Quillian, he was my farmer buddy, did everything with me, even walked the dogs with me. Slept on my pillow at night. He was the friendliest cat and always knew when someone needed to be snuggled. I have pictures of him sitting on my lap with me after my other children were born, I'm really sad that this baby won't have the chance to have been "raised" by such a kid friendly cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton View Post
    It will take time for the cat to adjust. To make it easier, make sure your cat is getting enough exercise. Indoor cats need interactive play time to get enough exercise. Get some cat toy wands and play for 15-20 minutes twice a day. It may not stop it completely right away, but it will make the transition easier.

I have two seriously active indoor cats and they need a good deal of play or else they keep us up all night.

Also make indoors attractive to the cat -- make sure he has scratching posts and perches to use. Maybe even put a perch in front of a window so he can relax up high while looking outside.
    Phaxxton - thankyou.. your suggestion of play time seems to be just what he needed. Normally he'd be crying at the door to go out this time of night but we had a nice play time and some cat nip, and he is soundly snoozing on the floor.

I'm sorry about Quillian.

Animal poisoners really are the scum of the earth

Could Moe maybe have outdoor time in a kitty enclosure?

http://www.thecatandkittenstore.com/...ems/Categories

You could build your own with 2x4's and chicken wire. Best of both worlds, he gets outside time, you get the security of knowing where he is.

Good luck

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Quote Originally Posted by Catersun View Post
    Phaxxton - thankyou.. your suggestion of play time seems to be just what he needed. Normally he'd be crying at the door to go out this time of night but we had a nice play time and some cat nip, and he is soundly snoozing on the floor.

I'm so glad!!

I always played with my indoor cats, but until I got my current cats, I never realized how much exercise some cats need. My guys are half Siamese and HIGH energy. They will cry (like a baby) all night long if they don't get enough play time during the day. I learned a tired kitty is a happier kitty. When they're outside, it's like being at a playground all day. Inside, we have to be a little more creative.

I'm so, so sorry about your other cat. I am in tears thinking about it. I lost a cat as a child to a neighbor who was poisoning neighborhood cats. I understand how devastating it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ladybugred View Post
    I'm sorry about Quillian.

Animal poisoners really are the scum of the earth

Could Moe maybe have outdoor time in a kitty enclosure?

http://www.thecatandkittenstore.com/...ems/Categories

You could build your own with 2x4's and chicken wire. Best of both worlds, he gets outside time, you get the security of knowing where he is.

Good luck

LBR
    These enclosures are SO cool. I have a friend with Savannah and Bengal cats that go out in a big enclosure. Once we move to a bigger place, I would love to be able to do this for my indoor cats. For now, they seem content enough to look out the windows.

That kitty tent from the kitten store is very clever. We have transitioned many cats from outdoors to indoors. Currently we have 2, our roadside kittens, that live in one half of our house with no contact with the others due to Feline Leukemia. They are doing extremely well.

We also have one that was dumped at a gas station and another that was a feral cat. Meet Lillian, who has learned to love the good life after life in the great outdoors:
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97...DSC_0006-1.jpg

You might consider slipping some Rescue Remedy into your kitty's food to help take the edge off of the transition. It helped Lillian a lot when we first took her in. The woman whose barn she was in had to trap her with a laundry basket and she was a nervous wreck when she came to us.

I 'caught' a kitty in our hav-a-hart trap two weeks ago so our little farm has become like the book, 'So Many Cats' http://www.amazon.com/Many-Cats-Beat.../dp/0899197000
    He (she?) has moved into the guest room while we help him make the transition from feral cat to house cat. Like they say, what's one more?

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Buy dried cat nip and rub it into the carpet.
    Bad, bad idea. My one cat ripped all the fringe off the edges of an antique Persian carpet that had been in the family for like, a bazillion years. I'll I had done was sprinkle a little dried cat nip on the rug in general.

Perhaps my cat's a drug addict in drag...I don't know. BUT NO MORE CAT NIP FOR YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    Bad, bad idea. My one cat ripped all the fringe off the edges of an antique Persian carpet that had been in the family for like, a bazillion years. I'll I had done was sprinkle a little dried cat nip on the rug in general.

Perhaps my cat's a drug addict in drag...I don't know. BUT NO MORE CAT NIP FOR YOU.
    Misty Blue is talking about hanging a remnant on the wall specifically for the cat to climb / play on and rubbing catnip into that. NOT into your good rugs on the floor.

The cat got out today... he has my 23 month old son trained to let him out, What is making this more frusterating is the cat is house trained like a dog, and the toddler is trained to let the cat out when he asks at the door and I didn't realize he was out until he was out of catching distance. *sigh* he came home tonight, so far just a bit of an upset tummy, he's asleep on the dog/cat bed at the foot of my bed. If my human children don't give me grey hair, my pets will. I could really use a good snuggle wiht a loud purr in my ear. I miss my Quillian.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1455512755 Q hanging with me while I read Coth one night.