The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Default Clever, temporary lighting ideas?

The barn where I board has lights on one side of the ring. They aren't great but they'll do fine. Unfortunately, the other two thirds of the ring's lights are out.

My BO is amazing about keeping the property up so I know they'll get fixed soon. Until then, anyone have any great, temporary ideas? The lit side of the ring is higher - in other words, we are riding down below and there is a bank with a fence line on it. So, I could easily mount something up there and I'm sure I have enough extension cord to run power there. But, I want to make sure I have good, safe lighting.

I know those painter's lights rock but are they safe for outdoors? I'm not planning on riding in the rain or leaving them out but just want to have the most effective / safe option.

Ideas? Experiences?

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

If you happen to have any of those tripod lights, they might come in handy. If you don't possibly someone you know does? We have them at our barn and we use them frequently.
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...9791_200309791

I was at a place where they went to home depot and got a bunch of cheap-o painter's lights - floodlights on aluminum legs. They used them for the outdoor ring and they worked pretty well, but -- they were short. The light was kind of angled downwards so it didn't illuminate much other than the outside track. Also cast sort of strange shadows. It was probably harder for the rider to see than it was for the horses.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I used those double lights on tripods to light a small outdoor dressage arena for a year or two when we were renting a farm. Was plenty of light to ride by. I situated it at the short end on one side. I couldn't READ by it, but felt quite safe riding by it. Horses can actually see quite well in the dark. Better than we can. So you really only need enough light so you can navigate!

is there anyplace for white Christmas lights (maybe existing light poles) and/or would that give you enough light to work by on that side of the arena? Cheap and fun

I think those painter's lights are the best option in terms of light and the fact they are on stands. And they don't appear to be terribly expensive.

Of course, as I pulled into the barn today, there the owner was, on a ladder, fixing the lights! I'm not sure if he was successful - when I flipped the main switch for him, the broken set did not appear to come on but then I got busy with my horse and a friend showed up so not sure where things ended. Regardless, I guess he's on it and if I need something temp, those painters lights seem to be the winner.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

A head lamp!! Very temporary and you can use it again even when you're not on your horse!!

Not to hijack the thread but... Can those contractors lights be left out in the weather? I couldn't seem to find an answer either way reading the boxes.

I like the head lamp idea!

Quote Originally Posted by magicteetango View Post
    Not to hijack the thread but... Can those contractors lights be left out in the weather? I couldn't seem to find an answer either way reading the boxes.

I like the head lamp idea!
    I don't think so.

And I have head lamps. Have used them for years for body clipping and even basic stuff in poorly lit barns. But I don't think they would work well for the sort of riding I'd be doing.

I just posted on another thread about this but the headlamp works!

See below:
    Hi all,
    I did a bunch of research on headlamps and thought I'd share with you in case anyone else was thinking of getting one. After lots of reading, talking with the sales guy and tests in the bathroom (only place we could shut off the lights ) I ended up with the Petzl Tikka XP 2 LED Headlamp. I got it at REI and am going back today for the rechargeable battery pack.

Here is is on my helmet (ignore the goofiness): http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1075391436

And here's a shot where I attempted to show the light (didn't work well as the flash lit things up a bit more in the foreground and doesn't show how far the headlamp lights up):
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1075391436

It has a diffuser so you can either have more of a spotlight (goes further but not as wide) or more of a flood (which is what I used). The flood still shows about 50 feet ahead and is wide enough you can see to the sides to make a gradual turn in the light. The tilt was really helpful because I turned it all the way down while I was getting on so I wouldn't blind her. I led her with it on and bounced my head up and down but she didn't seem to care at all. Walked on her for a bit and she still didn't care so I went ahead and trotted. Will canter today as long as she's still comfortable with it. I'm pretty sure she can see better than I can anyway!

Let me know if anyone has questions but I highly recommend it. I can't make it out to ride until 5/5:30 so now I can ride during the week! Now, if anyone has a solution for when the ground freezes let me know
    Winfield Farm
    Karrera "Zoee" ~ Redshift "Orion" ~ Inquisitive "Q" ~ No Doubts "Lady"
    I Paid For My Vet's New Truck Clique

I used those 500 W rectangular halogen "work lights"- probably the same as you are calling "painter's lights"- but I am not quite sure- these ones have heavy duty metal housing and cages over heavy duty glass. I hung 6 of them in my trees hooked up to all weather extension cords, and I electric taped the connections to keep water and snow out of them. They kept working for about 6 years in all weather, then gradually, one by one, the bulbs have burned out, but cold weather and rain was not a problem. They are rated for outdoor environments and I got them on sale half price for about $10 each. Some assembly and ladder climbing required.
    They do get hot, so make sure whatever you mount them to is not near dry leaves or other things that could easily catch fire.
    But do remember that horses do not require the same light levels to see well, and are mostly happy to ride about in the dark if you trust them enough. Its US that wants the light on.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

On the same note, are there outdoor style flood lamps either solar powered or battery powered?
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Welll, I googled solar flood lighting, arena lighting solar powered, there are alot of possibilities. Interesting.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.