The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Non fiction horse books for children?

We have two young girls, ages 10 and 14 who help out around the barn where I board, in exchange for riding time. I would like to buy them each a horse related book for Christmas-something with good info, not too frou-frou, but able to keep a kids interest. Would also consider a quality fiction book. Any good ideas?

When I was that age, I loved the books with pictures of breeds, and descriptions of tack and different disciplines. Heck, I still love them, and buy a new one every time I see it! I'm particularly fond of the ones published by DK Publishing, Barnes & Noble has a nice one for about $10, it's about trade paperback sizeI can't seem to find it at the mo. I'll see if I can find it and get back to you

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

I have a copy of the book I'm talking about, unfortunately it's packed away somewhere. Let me see if I can find it tomorrow, and I will call up the ISBN for you.

LBR

Get them a Pony Club manual, either whichever level is most appropriate or start with the D manual and then get them the others each year as they grow

I loved Marguerite Henry's "Born to Trot". Based on a true story with lots of interesting horse information. I remember not being able to put it down.

AHA!! I think I found it, I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have the colours around the outside, but mine could be a lot older
    http://www.amazon.com/Horses-DK-Pock...=cm_cr_pr_pb_tSince it's Amazon, you can look inside the book too!

LBR

Cherry Hill put out a book for children on horse care. I don't own it so haven't read it but I browsed it in the bookstore the other day and you might want to consider it: Cherry Hill's Horse Care for Kids. Fugly recommended it a year or so ago, as well.

Except that most kids wouldn't care for a used book as a gift, I would recommend Pony Care by Jean Slaughter [Doty], which was pretty thorough for kids but not over their heads.

But I, too, always loved those picture books of breeds. I used to get mine at Kmart, published usually by Octopus books or Cathay but I really did soak those up, and for today's readers the DK books are really lovely, like ladybugred said.

Assuming you can find it, Famouse Horses and their People was one of my favorite library books when I was that age.

But the USPC manuals are a good idea too (I often recommend them to folks).
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

"The Perfect Distance" by Kim Ablon Whitney is a good young adult book set in the Medal/Maclay world — fiction, but Whitney is a show judge so she knows of what she writes.

"Seabiscuit" wouldn't be above a smart 14-year-old's head.

Everyone needs a copy of George Morris, no?
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

Definitely the Pony Club manuals!

It's probably too young for the 14 year old, but Happy Horsemanship was one of my favorite books when I was around 10:

http://www.amazon.com/Happy-Horseman...0186475&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by InWhyCee Redux View Post
    "The Perfect Distance" by Kim Ablon Whitney is a good young adult book set in the Medal/Maclay world — fiction, but Whitney is a show judge so she knows of what she writes.

My daughter is 14 and read this a year or 2 ago (actually read it more than once). She's a stickler for accurate portrayal when it comes to horse books (well, any book for that matter).

The USPC manuals are great and I also recommend them.

A few other books that are high on our list are:

Lessons with Lendon: by Lendon Gray
    Riding for Kids: Judy Richter
    Your Horse, Your Pony: Cherry Hill
    KISS - Guide to carinf ro your Horse: Moira C. Harris

I could come up with a few more - we have a HUGE non-fiction horse library. Daughter is an avid reader!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rallycairn View Post
    Cherry Hill put out a book for children on horse care. I don't own it so haven't read it but I browsed it in the bookstore the other day and you might want to consider it: Cherry Hill's Horse Care for Kids. Fugly recommended it a year or so ago, as well.
    this is a great one! i've used it as the basis of a summer camp program before, each kid got a copy and we would go over different sections during the non-riding times of camp. good solid information and an easy, clear format for kids to understand. love it!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

As a younger kid, I too loved those big books with lots of pictures - The Wonderful World Of Horses, the Colorful World of Horses - but the one I pored over was The Encylopedia of The Horse. I dog-eared that book - it had breeds, disciplines, care, training. I didn't have a horse of my own and rarely got to ride. That book was the next best thing.
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs