The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Small USEF gripe

I've been looking up results on their database, and all the current event horses have themselves listed as registered with the USHJA and not USEA.

Why would the USEF do something odd like that?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

huh? well most of our eventers are members of the Usef, Ushja and usea. When you do the h/j shows it's just what you do.

It's a new launch of the web site, which may be the problem also
    To be successful, you have to have your heart in your business, and your business in your heart

So you think Courageous Comet is USHJA registered because he does H/J shows?

Red face

Wow you are charming and appear addicted to posting on chron and stalking horses you do not own on the internet but besides that all 3 of my eventers are registered as am I with the USEF and USHJA.... I would imagine many horses are. ;-)
    To be successful, you have to have your heart in your business, and your business in your heart

When USHJA came online, for some reason horses that were already life recorded with USEF got free USHJA numbers. My ex-eventer did, even though she hasn't gone over a stick of lumber since before USHJA existed.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Jumping Bug, Viney is a respected authority on jumping bloodlines and we are usually enriched by her posts. I don't think it much matters who owns what, we can discuss whatever horses we want to as long as we remain respectful; I don't think I've ever read a post of Viney's that was not.
    I am getting to the point that I shudder whenever h/j is mentioned on this board because I've observed the manners from that board are creeping into this board. Blech.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I've been looking up results on their database, and all the current event horses have themselves listed as registered with the USHJA and not USEA.

Why would the USEF do something odd like that?
    Historical artifact.

When they established the requirement for hunters and jumpers to be registered with USHJA AS WELL AS USEF, the h/j people whose horses had lifetime registrations with USEF made a fuss about having to pay for another lifetime registration fee.

As a result, EVERY horse with a USEF lifetime registration was auomatically given a lifetime USHJA registration.

So you will find lots of Saddlebreds, Arabians, and reiners with lifetime USHJA registration as well.

As far as reporting it, a few years ago, the USDF and USHJA agreed to have the USEF administer their membership systems. So USEF has all that membership information. The USEA was asked to join, but chose to keep control of their own membership system. USEF doesn't have direct acces to the USEA membership information, but must go through USEA to get it.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

So you think Courageous Comet is USHJA registered because he does H/J shows?
    Courageous Comet is USHJA registered because he had a lifetime USEF registration when they started up the USHJA horse registration requirement.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up at an occaisional jumper show.
    Last edited by Janet; Nov. 19, 2010 at 12:01 PM.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

My project last night, which is what brought up the gripe, was to research the results of a particular stallion to see how his get have done in actual competition. In this case, and I don't mind naming names since the stallion is dead, it was Loyal Pal. I wanted to see if he was a good eventing sire. So I went to the USEF database, which is open to the public, and used their sire search feature.

It pulled up something like 85 horses in their database. I searched the results of every single one of those horses back to 2005 and found some really interesting trivial facts and also came to some conclusions about Loyal Pal as a stallion--or possibly about US horse breeding and competition, not sure which.

I also came up with a number of questions about the USEF database itself. Which led to the gripe. And I think the automatic USHJA registration for life members might be the answer.

Thank you.

Viney - I for one am most interested in your results for Loyal Pal's Eventing get. Please share when possible.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

"retreadeventer

Jumping Bug, Viney is a respected authority on jumping bloodlines and we are usually enriched by her posts. "

Special... If I had meant it to be mean it would not have been stated on the board. Your opinions and emotions on the topic noted though... When is the wedding....

"vineyridge

So you think Courageous Comet is USHJA registered because he does H/J shows? ;-)"

All the eventers in my barn and most barns I know go to USDF and USEF h/J shows

MIDSTATES SUMMER
    (Owner at the Competition: REBECCA HOLDER) Start Date of Comp: 6/20/2007 State: IA, Zone: 6
    Division: MISC JUMPER Rating: N
    CLASS # CLASS DESCRIPTION LEVEL # ENTRIES PLACING NAT PNT GOOD NAT PNT BAD ZRD PNT GOOD ZRD PNT BAD JUMPER MONEY RIDER NAME
    323 LEVEL 3 JUMPER STAKE, 2.2B 3 28 5 50.00 0.00 50.00 0.00 50.00 HOLDER, REBECCA
    325 LEVEL 4 JUMPER, 2.1 4 21 3 20.00 0.00 20.00 0.00 20.00 HOLDER, REBECCA
    326 LEVEL 4 JUMPER, 2.2B 4 15 4 20.00 0.00 20.00 0.00 20.00 HOLDER, REBECCA
    329 LEVEL 5 JUMPER, 2.2B 5 9 2 65.00 0.00 65.00 0.00 65.00 HOLDER, REBECCA

Thank you, jumperbug, for finding that. I do appreciate it. You might very well be correct about the USHJA registrations for eventing horses.

What I don't know is quite how the USEF and USEA connect for purposes of the USEF database. That is to say I don't know at what point USEF membership is required for eventers and their horses. I don't know if it's level of competition or level of show or both. Of course, if the level of competition is FEI--1* and above--, then USEF and USEF registration is necessary. But if the level is Advanced down to Prelim, when is USEF registration required?

I'm having trouble pulling up USEA results since I'm not a member. I know someone here told me how to do it, but when I look at the site, I cannot remember what to do.

What I don't know is quite how the USEF and USEA connect for purposes of the USEF database. That is to say I don't know at what point USEF membership is required for eventers and their horses. I don't know if it's level of competition or level of show or both. Of course, if the level of competition is FEI--1* and above--, then USEF and USEF registration is necessary. But if the level is Advanced down to Prelim, when is USEF registration required?
    USEF membership requirements apply to Prelim and above. But you can pay the non-member fee instead of joining if you want to.

USEA has a very useful chart showing the membership requirements at the different levels.
    http://www.useventing.com/resources/...QUIREMENTS.pdf

I'm having trouble pulling up USEA results since I'm not a member. I know someone here told me how to do it, but when I look at the site, I cannot remember what to do.
    If you are looking for recent results by horse or rider-
    On the home page, go to the pulldown menu for "Competitions"

Select "SearchTools"

Then click on either "Horse" or "Rider" results.

For older results, you need to get into the "members only" section of the web site.
    Janet

If they have a sire and dam search feature, it would make membership worthwhile for me.

This is very tedious work, and I have no idea how Dr. Birdsall did it before the advent of computers.

If they have a sire and dam search feature, it would make membership worthwhile for me.
    Nope.

The search criteria are
    Horse Name: (Competition Name)
    Horse Member Id :
    Owner First Name:
    Owner Last Name:
    Rider First Name:
    Rider Last Name:
    Once you select a particular horse, it does display the Sire and Dam- IF the owner entered that info originally.
    Janet