The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bar Bar A electric free horse waterer

We are looking at installing one of these to avoid using hoses this year. We have water, but no electric at this time.

Anyone use one?

Love it? Hate it??

Thanks!

I have four and love them. No freezing water in the winter and no fear of shocks. No algae and gunk in the summer, no standing water for bugs to breed in, and no troughs for horses to try to climb in and flip!

They are fabulous, one of the best things I've done as far as helping myself out on the farm.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

I love mine. We have two different types, the Bar Bar A and the watering post. They both have pros and cons. IF I did it over again I would only have one or the other.

the Bar Bar A works well, and the horses find it easy to use. It does have a filter that needs to be cleaned every so often, but it is a very quick job and takes 15 minutes a year. They can freeze up, I check mine everyday year round, but sometimes in the winter they will get some ice build up in them. I just take out hot water in a milk jug and pour it in to thaw. It is caused by snow build up and very cold temps. IT is soooo much better than the alternatives. I had a friend put hers in a huge run in area and they never have that issue. The neatest thing is, the horses love them. They love the fresh water that is cool in the summer and ground temp in the winter. They prefer it over buckets in the stalls. Good Luck if you get one, I love mine

The watering Posts are very good also. They are higher and do not have any filters to clean. They ice up too, but usually they all do at the same time. I have some horses that find them harder to use as its a smaller bowl and the paddle is harder to push down. They look very clean in the field though. A very small pony would not be able to use it because it sits up higher than the B B As. On the other hand I had a large pony here that would stick his foot in the Bar Bar A. He clogged it up with gunk from his feet and that is why we then went to the posts. He is turned out in the field with the posts and the Bar Bar A has a blue plastic barrel around it to keep feet and hooves out!

Highly recommend them.
    Whoever said money can't buy happiness never owned a horse.

Thanks for the info.

Anyone have a horse who woudn't drink from one?

edgarbuddy Guest

Default Bar Bar A horse waterer

Hi - I purchased the Bar Bar A last summer and have used it since then - it is great! We live in Canada, in Ontario and have had some really cold weather. It has not frozen up so far.

It has had some ice build up around the bowl in really cold weather, and from heavy snowfall, but with regular cleaning it has worked fine.

We put a tire around the base as one of our horses pawed at it for some reason (no problem since putting the tire there)

We have 3 horses and a miniature donkey and all learned to drink from it within 24 hours of installation.

Would highly recommend it.

I keep reading that they work even during a power outage. Can someone give a brief outline of how, exactly?
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Do they have a website. Almost all of my Nelsons are no longer funtional (18 years old -- rusted parts, busted internal hoses, etc). And that's the 20 in the barn and the 10 out in the pastures!

While the outer components are still in good shape, I'd like to compare the cost to replace all the "innards" for my Nelson's to just installing the product you are describing.

I'm sick of screwing with the Nelson's. They were great the first 10 years, but crapped out after that. Disappointing as they cost a fortune to buy and then install on a fairly good-sized farm.

Thanks.

I like them.

I also check them every day to make sure they are functioning.

I've never had any problem except one time when someone inadvertently turned off the valve that feeds one of the pastures.

If I hadn't checked it that day the horses would have had no water until someone noticed, so I continue to check them every day.

FWIW,when I was looking into getting auto waterers, the Bar A rep told me that you need more than a few horses drinking from them for the waterers to function well. If you only have it for one or two horses, it might be worth double checking with the company.

Some horses require training to teach them to push down the paddle that fills the drinking bowl.

I lead the horse up to the waterer and push down the paddle with my hand, if the horse is thirsty they will drink, and I keep pushing the paddle down for them until their full.

I go out twice a day and do this for them until they learn to do it on their own.

If your horse comes in from the field and downs a bucket of water in his stall, he probably doesn't know how to use the waterer.

I was also worried at first that their tongues would stick to the metal paddles in freezing weather, but they have been fine.