The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How long do you hold onto your riding equipment?

Due to some major life changes--I'm in my last year of college, preparing for the real world, dealing with ill family members, etc. we've decided to sell our farm and sell/re-home the horses. So, basically, horses haven't been a daily part of my life for quite some time. My question is, how long do you hang onto your boots, half-chaps, helmet, etc.?

I hung on to most everything, and was pleasantly surprised to find I was using most of what I'd saved much quicker than expected.

I sold my saddle late in my senior year (honestly it didn't fit me well anyway!), sold my OLD saddle shortly after, and gave a bunch of things to my college riding program (quarter sheets, polo wraps, bridles, etc).

But boots, chaps, clothes, coolers, grooming stuff, etc, I held onto all that, and found I had some horses to ride within months of entering the real world, thanks to a co-worker with a small quarter horse farm.

So my vote - maybe sell some things, but hang on to the basics
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Till they wear out.

I stopped riding after I went off to college. When I started up again 10 years later, I was very glad that I did not have to go out and buy new stuff right away.

I am still using a dropped noseband that came (well used at that point) with a horse we bought in 1965.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

So far in my life, I have had to rebuy everything I sold when I "got out of" horses three times. Hang onto everything you have room for.

I took 10 years off from riding but had saved almost everything. I did buy a new and better helmet when I started back up.

It was good not to have to buy so much stuff right away.

Over time I have replaced a lot but I still wear the chaps I had made for me when I was about 17 . . . and I'm now 50 (they stretched a lot -- I wish I could still fit into the stuff I wore when I was 17!).
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I'm still using stuff my parents bought me in 1968.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Keep the stuff that's meaningful and in good shape. Sell everything else. Keep your tack trunk if it can be doubled as furniture.

I know people who spend hundreds of dollars storing stuff that's worth less than the month's worth of storage fees. Not worth it unless it has sentimental value.

Shopping sprees are fun!

I got rid of everything I had within two years. Take that back, I kept a pair of irons, the old kind that have to be polished, and my boots. I wish I had kept my collection of bits. My parents were not willing to store anything and I downsized the stuff I had to only what I really needed. Nowadays I have boxes full of stuff I haven't unpacked after two years but back then I could fit my possessions in a VW bus and move in a day.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I still have everything. In a storage unit. Just in case I ever need it again

My chaps/boots/and old breeches don't fit me by a loooooong shot (after 2 kids...) but I can't bear to part with them.

I used to have a 14 stall barn I rented before my kids. I had all the outfittings for that, plus about 4 huge rubbermaids of tack.

Two years later, after both my kids, I have downsized into an 8 stall barn. Keeping my water/feed buckets/wheelboros/pitckforks/brooms/water tanks/etc. sure did come in handy.

I am now in the process of going through my old tack and blankets. I think I may be ready to part with some of that. 8 personal horses will never be in my future again

My parents talked me into 'getting out' at the end of high school. I sold my saddle and most of my tack. When I picked up riding again a few years later I regretted that decision! I

I hold on to more stuff than I'll probably ever need, but the idea of having to buy something that I used to have and paying way more than I paid the first time has kind of turned me off of getting rid of the good stuff!!

So, even though I have a newer one, I still have that saddle I bought used in 1984. It's in great shape and I use it all the time. Those boots my DH got me when I graduated from college are in my closet. My calves are to big for them, but I'll never part with 'em. I have blankets and sheets from horses who were put down years ago. They don't fit any of my current herd, but I don't think I'll want to buy new Rhino turnouts and Baker blankets if I don't have to in the future....
    Y'all ain't right!

Thanks everyone! I've been trying to decide whether or not to keep my paddock boots, half chaps, and my CO GR8. I have a feeling I will take lessons for fun once things settle down a bit. But, as far as the rest of my equipment goes...I'll sell it! I don't plan on owning anymore horses anytime soon.

I keep everything. But I replace my helmet every 5 years from date of manufacture. If it expires, I'd toss it and get a $30 Troxel.

I bought a pair of Marlborough boots in 1981. I wore them as my 'everyday boots for a few years, got out of horses and kept them. Got back into horses in late 80s. They've now been my 'show' boots for about the past ten years.

I kept almost everything after I sold my last horse 12 plus years ago. BOY was I glad I did when I re-started. Yeah, my saddle isn't the greatest, but having all that stuff has saved me SO much $$ now that I have a horse again.

But my family has a big barn that I could store most of it in. So space really wasn't an issue.
    ==================
    Somehow my inner ten year old seems to have stolen my chequebook!

http://reriderandpony.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sptraining View Post
    Shopping sprees are fun!
    Not for all of us.

To me, shopping is a mild form of torture.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I still have my first (1967) battered, stinky, bleached-out plastic shell hunt cap. And let's not forget the canary corduroy, poofy breeches with the button flap in the front, or the Harry Halls from the 80s with the shriveled-up leather knee patches, or the old, long, tweed hacking jacket, or the too-short Marlborough boots from 1969, or... I can't bear to throw it all out! I guess if I had to make a long-distance move I'd have to make some hard decisions.

I actually do still use the leather body brush I won as a children's hunter trophy in the early 70s.

I'm not getting out, but I just sent most of my tack to a tack sale that is happening this weekend at my college. Going through all of my stuff, it was funny the things I couldn't let go of. I kept a pony sized bridle that will never fit my heavy headed QH mare and a pair of rope reins that I bought when I was 9 years old. Those rope reins probably haven't seen a horse in a decade, but they matched my lesson pony's halter and since she was just put down over the summer, I can't bare to part with them. It'll be fun buying some new stuff at the tack sale and I desperately need an extra extra wide saddle, so my three saddles went bye-bye.

If I were you, I'd keep riding clothes enough to get you through a few lessons. You never know who will call you up to come on a hack or something.

I still have a wool saddle blanket (western type, but great underneath a saddle pad) that my mom bought in 1974.
    Good quality horse stuff is expensive.
    I would keep whatever you reasonably could, with regards to storage space.

Nowadays, little stuff can be replaced via Craigslist and eBay fairly cheaply. But the really nice stuff, I would keep if I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Not for all of us.

To me, shopping is a mild form of torture.
    But shopping sprees for horse stuff? I could do that all day.

Now clothes shopping for myself is a whole other story. puke.

I have sold three jumping saddles over the years, but still have my dressage saddle, and I honestly haven't trained or shown in dressage since 1992! But I can't seem to part with it.

I have 5 other western saddles, and apparently I can't part with them, either.

Great, now I'm feeling like a hoarder! I have boxes of sheets and pads and halters and wraps. I never really thought much about it, but am I unusual in that regard?