The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horses.....injuries in the field

So how is it that in the morning when I feed everyone is happy and sound. I can come home 8 hours later and my filly has sheared a deep v above her right hind fetlock. I can see tendons....at least she didn't cut them. She is in the vet. hosp for 3 days getting regional perfusion now hopefully to ward off infection and on major antibiotics.....how does this happen. Walked pasture, nothing.....it is like they look for it.

According to my vet, horses go out in the morning with only two decisions to make...to commit murder or suicide.

Last winter, when it was horribly cold, about 15 for the high for several days, I put rotations of 2 out in the front field for 1 hour at a time. I went out to get the second group and bring them in after their 1 hour, and one of them had managed in that time to fracture it's pasturn. Unbelievable. Horrible. That was the longest wait for the vet to arrive ever. It all turned out fine, 6 weeks of stall rest.

Sorry about your filly. Hope she's okay.

Oh, ouch for your filly! Hope all resolves perfectly.

LauraKY-- yup!

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    According to my vet, horses go out in the morning with only two decisions to make...to commit murder or suicide.
    Wow, they progress.

Because they are born with only one decision to make:
    How to find the most imaginative way of commiting suicide.

Glad they grow intellectually.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I don't know how they do it. I watched a groom turn out my jumper 2 weeks ago. The groom did everything correctly. Turned him around to face the gate and took off the halter. The goofball horse threw a giant buck and promptly fell down on the ground. He then popped up, looked around (looked like he was trying to see if anyone saw it) and galloped around the pasture 10 times. Luckily no injury but they just do stupid stuff sometimes.

JLRC, me too...same injury, 2 small differences-I was HOME ALL DAY and mine is the LF fetlock. Mine also happened on a Saturday afternoon. Mine stayed in the hospital till the Wednesday. He's been home on stall rest for 18 days. Turn out today was exciting. Thank goodness for my tiny infirmary paddock. I took out his sutures 2 days ago and the site looks wonderful. Don't despair, you could see tendons but thank goodness they weren't frayed. I don't know how they do it either but they sure do.....Good luck. Clicker training and plastic milk bottles are your friend.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

That is so ridiculously true.

What about the ones that live outside?

Sorry to hear about your girl. I swear my older horses gets more cuts on him when out alone than with other horses. That has never made any sense to me, so I try to keep him with a buddy.

Speaking of him, he one day managed to get the teeniest tiniest puncture wound of course on his hock, but thankfully not in the joint. One would think there was wire or something, but nope nothing but grass and trees and wooden fence. Best we could ever come up with was that he walked into a stick that was sharp and got him just right. He was of course 3 legged lame, but thankfully within two weeks he was better.

Horses
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

Because they can! See my post about my yearling that is battling a antibiotic resistant strain of strpe from a simple kick wound (at least we think its a kick).