The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Norweigan Fjord

Ok, am I crazy? I have an ADORABLE Norweigan Fjord in on trial as a first pony for an 8yr old student of mine. She is so stinking cute. She w/t/c and has the beginnings of a leadchange and will jump around 2' easily.

Am I crazy to think that she could go do the mini-short stirrup circuit? Mostly local schooling shows, or low-rated shows?

Here's a quick pic. http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/c...y/PB160353.jpg

I know the saddle is awful...that's the next thing santa's bringing. Mom found this one on CL for $50.
    Life is hard. After all, it kills you. - K. Hepburn

There is one in my area that does the local circuit and places. Very cute but headstrong and has a nice jump up to 2'6". It does look a little odd with all the other ponies braided in the flat class but distinctive.

She is CUTE! I know Fjords are normally shown with their manes cut to show off that distinctive mane--but this is the first one I've seen that actually had a mane that laid over. This is probably totally taboo, but for short stirrup and stuff I think I'd just try to braid it and see what it looks like! Try it at home and if you don't like it then the pony can get the typical Mohawk mane treatment. (Maybe if it looks OK you can convince people she's a Haflinger!)

While they are quite, they are also quite stubborn when they want to be. We owned one for years. My close friend works for a breeder and trains them. Plain and simple, they are a heavy built draft type designed for harness and for riding in the rough terrain of Norway.

While she can show it on the local circuit, its going to be very easy for the judge to remember her trip because her horse stands out, just like riding a bright appy. This can work for or against you.

I second the opinion about stubbornness, a friend has one. Its great pulling the sleigh in winter, and loves to foxhunt, other than that its a royal PITA. They are very cute though.

I'm at a barn with a trainer who has some Fjords. Wow they look hard to make them do something they don't want to. That said, it's great being around horses to do so many different things - drive, english, western. Really cute tho!!

I seen a Fjord doing dressage and doing it adorably — but, like a Haflinger or a Jack Russell Terrier, you need to keep them busy!
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

there are 9 fjords at our barn, some jump, a few do dressage, some to hunter paces! while they can be stubborn, as long as they are trained correctly, they are great ponies! you on you tube and google Equine affaire and see the fjord who came in 11th out of 30 riders for the versatile rider competition. She had the 2nd fastest time!

Our barn had one as a school horse for years. He was AWESOME, and did not seem to display the stubborn trait. He did short stirrup stuff at local shows with the kids and placed well. He was a very very kind animal.

One does the local Hunters on the circuit I show in, it's adorable and the little rider who shows it is great.

The few Fjords I have known (there is a pack of them that trail ride and we cross paths regularly) are absolute workhorses. I think the perception of "stubborn" comes from them needing pretty clear direction...or they will just keep doing what they think they are supposed to.

On the mane, I used to show a draft. I used to braid that ridiculous double mane for Hunters (I had to pull more than I left), and it looked ok. She did look very put-together. BUT when I roached her mane with a SLIGHT eye toward shaping her neck, she looked dramatically more elegant. You could look at that with your Fjord, braids might tend to make the neck look thick and short, where a nice roach job would be breed-appropriate and can be really flattering.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by tiggger View Post
    there are 9 fjords at our barn, some jump, a few do dressage, some to hunter paces! while they can be stubborn, as long as they are trained correctly, they are great ponies! you on you tube and google Equine affaire and see the fjord who came in 11th out of 30 riders for the versatile rider competition. She had the 2nd fastest time!
    i saw this pony go. very cute!

Quote Originally Posted by rugbygirl View Post
    One does the local Hunters on the circuit I show in, it's adorable and the little rider who shows it is great.

The few Fjords I have known (there is a pack of them that trail ride and we cross paths regularly) are absolute workhorses. I think the perception of "stubborn" comes from them needing pretty clear direction...or they will just keep doing what they think they are supposed to.

On the mane, I used to show a draft. I used to braid that ridiculous double mane for Hunters (I had to pull more than I left), and it looked ok. She did look very put-together. BUT when I roached her mane with a SLIGHT eye toward shaping her neck, she looked dramatically more elegant. You could look at that with your Fjord, braids might tend to make the neck look thick and short, where a nice roach job would be breed-appropriate and can be really flattering.
    you gotta roach the mane!!! They look so much better roached!! I actually saw the fjord in the Ringling Brother's Circus and they didnt have their manes roached and they looked horrible! I talked to someone at the circus and offered to come in and cut them for them..lol, I also offered to mail them a video with instructions! I was so happy when I saw pictures of them roached!

^ I was trying to be diplomatic about it

The one who shows on our circuit roaches shorter than the usual "mohawk" but not quite all the way down. It really does look nice.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by rugbygirl View Post
    ^ I was trying to be diplomatic about it

The one who shows on our circuit roaches shorter than the usual "mohawk" but not quite all the way down. It really does look nice.
    I am the president of the Northeast Fjord Horse Association... so I am all for the breed standard! lol

I have an ammy client who bought a young fjord this year for fun, we do local and rated shows. We showed our fjord all summer in are local areas X-rail horse division, and she did great, earning a year end award.

Our fjord is an excellant mover, the canter is devleoping well, she is quite trainable (tho naturally "dull") and jumps great.

I plan to help this client develop her, she is currently on break, and will also be taught to drive. We would like to use her as a short stirrup pony, and lease her within our barn.

She draws attention, the kids love her, she makes us smile, and I would take her to any show in any company. and alas, she will be outgrown anyway.

We show her with a mohawk, and have no plan to hide the fact that she's a fjord.

I would vote for you to have the fjord. Isn't riding susposed to be fun? Does the kid love her? and is she safe?

I think from the smile on that child's face that a decision may have been made already?

The pony is adorable, and plenty of leg room for the rider to grow into....

We bought the pony! She's been super so far! The only time she has shown any stubborness is when she has been asked to part from company. But considering she's basically been in quarantine since she came in, she's a little clingy at the moment. Nothing bad and easily correctable at the moment.
    Life is hard. After all, it kills you. - K. Hepburn

Saw your video & pics on fb~ she's a realy cutie & I'm glad you got her! Of course, I'm a sucker for roly-poly Thelwell types anyway!
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Cute picture, looks like a great match! Good luck with these two!

Awww, what a great smile on the little girl's face!