The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weather Forecast For Event this Weekend = Pouring Down Rain!!

So my venue this weekend has a weather forecast of total rain all weekend... Terrific eh?

Have many competitions under my belt and have ridden in the rain a numerous times including a few runs cross-country at a show in it, but never a whole weekend of a downpour..

I rode there recently already at the same level and she's been dynamite this week so not worried about her being unprepared its just really gonna blow being socking wet during our test and courses...

Already planning to bring every blanket and cooler I own to keep rotating them out to keep dry ones for her and keep her warm.

Anyone have any tips or ideas to help make the weekend run a bit more smooth and comfortable for me and my poor ponie!

Heeeelpppp!!!!

just make sure you bring enough dry clothes for YOU too....

and that sporty haft spray stuff -- if you've never used it, NOW is the time...

as for your horse, she's a horse; they don't melt, and she probably won't care as much as you will (although you may find her behind the vertical in your dressage test.... gahh...rain in my face....gahhhh)
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Do what I do with every show that coincides with pouring rain (which is a healthy--or perhaps unhealthy percentage of them)...

Curse and swear that THIS TIME you really are going to pack up and move to California! (doh! guess you'll have to pick Arizona or something)

Towels. Tarps. Plastic garbage bags. Lots of dry socks. Sense of humor

Buy a portable awning. The kind that has 4 legs and is aluminium with a canvas top. The horse can staand under it and it gives you more room to put on boots (yourself and the horse)

Even if you have an awning on the trailer, go get one of these, they're great. And have fun DAMIT!
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

If your tall boots get soaked... DON'T TAKE THEM OFF!!!

I did that once inbetween dressage and x-c on the same day and I thought that I would never be able to get them back on

Now I always bring spare back up yucky boots to ride in the jumping phases.

Good Luck and just keep thinking about the hot shower when you get home

Real Saddle-Tight, the rub on, not the spray on, on boots, saddle, reins, gloves. Then just do your best to ignore the rain. If you think too hard about staying dry, keeping mare dry, etc, etc, it will consume you. Just go have a blast.
    Oh, my favorite piece of dress in a downpour is a small towel-(hand towel size) around your neck inside the neck of your rain coat. Keeps the trickles out.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Great tip, about the Saddle Tight! I will be at that event too and will try it....especially on my reins as I tend to let them get too long on a dry day!