The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face OTTB Confo Critique..Update: PPE'd and..

This is a crosspost from H/J land; thought I could use all the opinions I could get

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...nt=Gelding.jpg
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...rtOver0081.jpg

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Big_Tag; Nov. 29, 2010 at 02:24 PM.

Just get a blacksmith and he would look very nice!

He is being pulled forward in the photo so one has to read between the lines but he seems to have a very nice figure.
    owner and friend of members of the Limping And Majestic Equine Society.

I'd love to see one of him standing less awkwardly, but I think he's cute. Love his eye; he looks like he's paying attention and relaxed
    RIP Charlie and Toby

Adventures

He's a cute one! I agree that it's hard to tell exactly how he's built because he's reaching so far forward and standing under himself in front.

Of course, it depends on what you want to do with him, but I would say that the only thing is that his back seems a bit long right before his group. He's a really cute boy, though.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

For a race horse those feet look pretty darn good, some heel and almost apear to be round??

Good idea to not put up CANTER listing if one or where he is, awefully nice not to be snapped up about now!!

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    For a race horse those feet look pretty darn good, some heel and almost apear to be round??

Good idea to not put up CANTER listing if one or where he is, awefully nice not to be snapped up about now!!
    I know, I was worried about that! I am scheduled to see him this weekend and have all my ducks in a row so if I like him, I'm not going to get shut out But, he isn't a CANTER horse anyway.

The seller sent me another photo and he really does seem to naturally want to stand under himself in front so I will check that out when I look at him. He's on the farm now so I think i'll be able to ride him as well which is always a plus. He's supposed to be quite the quiet young man (he's 5).

ETA: here's the second photo I was referring to:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=Gelding2.jpg

It looks, in part, like he is standing on a downhill slant. Just see what you think when he is standing on level ground. Have fun and report back!!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Did the one you posted about on the racing forum find a home? I guess if she was "pulled from an auction" she's ok, but always a concern. Just on over all looks, I like this one better.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    Did the one you posted about on the racing forum find a home? I guess if she was "pulled from an auction" she's ok, but always a concern. Just on over all looks, I like this one better.
    To my knowledge no, she didn't, but she is privately owned so unless the seller decides to send her back through the auction she should be ok.

He reminds me of the big red TB i used to own. That horse was dynamite, usually in a bad way (setting back, etc) but he jumped the moon for me.
    "I is Roxie!" yep.

Ride on, ride on. All the bad things are gone.

Default Went to see him!

So, I went to see him today. I like him. He's a character. He's actually a bit pushy on the ground (i.e., flings his head around a good bit) but obedient. I got on him indoors where their hotwalker is and he was pretty "up" but content to walk, albeit a bouncy little walk. When he faced the door to outside he all of a sudden made a little sideways canter beeline for it but I was easily able to turn him back to the inside and the seller shut the door after that. He trotted around nicely, but again, pretty squirrely. They offered to let me take him outside in the open but given how up he felt I wasn't too keen on it. He definitely has brakes, was very easy to slow down/stop. So I hop off and ask if I can see him at liberty in their roundpen (it was a bit muddy to ride in there) so we untack him and take him in there and he runs around a good bit, for probably about 3 minutes of as much speed as he can accomplish in there. And then the seller laughs and says "oh geez he's pretty excited! I guess since he hasn't been out in three days!"

Well, thanks for the heads up, team. No wonder he was a little squirrely! So all in all I thought he was rather well mannered. Apparently his trainer's 8yo son rides him around the roundpen with a halter and lead. He's also supposedly very well behaved on the track; goes from the bath stall to the shedrow with just a halter and will actually just follow w/o any guidance. He's cute. I like him. I would have liked to have ridden him when he wasn't so excited but the fact that he was actually quite mannerly given the situation impressed me after I found out that he'd stood for 3 days. He's very nice to sit on.
    So, I think I will vet him. He has really clean legs. I knew this from looking at his race lines but he is a closer and the seller said that's often the case with closers; they don't exert themselves till the end of the race and are generally not as tough on themselves.

One question though: I rode him in a "ring bit." Anyone know how tough a bit this is? The seller said she thought he'd probably go in a pelham till he got more riding time on him but I personally like to start in a snaffle of sorts; however, I'm not familiar with a ring bit so if I was riding him around in a ton of bit I'd like to know. Like I said, brakes were totally fine, but just so I'd have a baseline.

I snapped a photo of him today too; when I switch computers and can upload it I will. He's put on a bit of weight since his last photos.
    Whew, that was long, sorry! Thanks for listening; any input is appreciated!

Dont worry about the bit, he should be fine in a snaffle!

Glad you like him! He looked very nice in his photos....
    owner and friend of members of the Limping And Majestic Equine Society.

So big boy was vetted today. Aside from apparently bouncing around like a nutto for his jogs (again with the bad weather I guess he's been in) he was good, and the findings are as follows:

-Slight dermatitis issue
    -A touch bench kneed
    -Apparently at some point he broke the lower part of his tail and it sits at a 45-degree angle at the tip. Weird, but not a problem.
    -Flexed slight positive right hind so I went ahead and did hock x-rays. He has a spur forming in the lower right hock but the vet said it's not affecting joint space. Now his LEFT hock, though, he had a much larger spur.

I hate hocks. It seems like they never X-ray very clean so it just becomes a judgment call. As the vet said--and I already knew--they don't tend to be career-ending problems, just something that will need maintenance at some point so then it just comes down to what I want to accept. I feel I could probably find something a little cheaper (he's on the high end of what I'd like to pay for a fresh OTTB) with maybe a little cleaner X-rays. Plus down the road, if I DO want to sell, his hock changes might be of concern.

Sooo now I gotta decide. Anyone want to chime in with their experiences?

There are too many nice, SOUND horses with no potential issues out there to settle for one with issues when he hasn't done the intended job yet. Ask me how I know I say keep looking, especially if the price isn't what you were expecting to pay. In this market there are plenty of great deals to be had!

If you really like him...offer a lower price (because of his xrays).

I would not pay full price if they have bone spurs....and be more inclined to keep looking.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

EVERY horse has an issue on a PPE. Every one. If you vet one who is "perfect", suspect your vet hasn't looked closely enough. Even in terms of flexing positive/slightly positive - that's a pretty dependent on who is doing the flexing.

That being said, what you can live with on a particular horse is a very personal question, and depends on your own calculation of what you want the horse's job to be, what the horse has done, your risk tolerance, cost, etc. Lots of folks, including people looking for high end prospects, can be comfortable with things like hock issues, mild arthritis, some changes in the feet, sometimes a chip, etc. So much of the time it depends on how the films manifest in the horse at the time - are they reactive to the issue clinically, or is this just an artifact on the xrays. Of course, there are a few pretty true walk-aways - but for a lower level prospect, I'm not sure non-clinical bilateral hocks are necessarily something I would put in that category - depends on how they look, of course.

So, the question you need to ask aren't ones that can be answered in the abstract. Talk with your vet about what your own goals and how this horse might fit into them, and see if the owner has any room in the price.

What did the vet say about the spurs and your purpose for him...?

My mare has a tiny spur in one hock... vet flat out said that the only reason he even spotted it was because he has the latest and greatest in digital equipment, and he didn't see it as having any kind of performance impact. Keep in mind the vet knew I was not shopping for an upper level prospect. I did not change my offer based on the findings...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    What did the vet say about the spurs and your purpose for him...?

My mare has a tiny spur in one hock... vet flat out said that the only reason he even spotted it was because he has the latest and greatest in digital equipment, and he didn't see it as having any kind of performance impact. Keep in mind the vet knew I was not shopping for an upper level prospect. I did not change my offer based on the findings...
    Vet said that clearly it's not bothering him much now but he will probably need maintenance on it in the future. Whenof course is anyone's guess.

I really don't have huge aspirations for him. I myself ride generally jumpers but if he wants to be a huntery type, that's fine too, and I'd probably not move up past 3-3'3" with him regardless. I'm kind of a wimp when they get bigger