The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Frost affected hay?

I am still looking to buy about 75 bales to get me through the winter. I can buy some second cut mixed hay that had no rain but is discoloured due to frost.

We had miserable growing conditions here this year, unending rain for the first part of the summer and then finally no rain but it was so late in the growing season.

Is there a problem with hay discoloured due to frost? I would imagine it might be somewhat lower in nutrition?
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    I am still looking to buy about 75 bales to get me through the winter. I can buy some second cut mixed hay that had no rain but is discoloured due to frost.

We had miserable growing conditions here this year, unending rain for the first part of the summer and then finally no rain but it was so late in the growing season.

Is there a problem with hay discoloured due to frost? I would imagine it might be somewhat lower in nutrition?
    not really...are they saying it has yellow stripe in it ??

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    not really...are they saying it has yellow stripe in it ??

Tamara in TN
    Not sure. Just that it is "discoloured". He and I are trading phone messages at the moment.

I know my BO leaves hay out by the back pastures to make her life easier, it gets frosty, and a bit discoloured. I don't think it makes a difference to anything.

What is Yellow Stripe?

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

yellow stripe is a fairly harmless condition from being "out" in less than ideal conditions in field hay (western guys sometimes call it tiger stripes as well) it is the same sun bleaching that happens when hay (alfalfa or timothy)is stacked in the sun and goes bright yellow....it's a no biggie

frost is really frozen dew and that will leave the same visible damage as dew which is tiny black spots up the stems to the leaves/heads depending on the grass on a yellowed body....for most practical applications on horses you will not see a great difference in the end values....

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

He says it was exposed to a hard frost after being cut but before being baled. The grass parts of it are discoloured and look like they were rained on but they were not. He does not think it would affect it from a nutrition stand point.

This guy has always been very good to deal with in the past and is very straight forward about his hay so I am inclined to believe him.

Man, I hope our wet cycle is over and we get back to more normal weather next year!