The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Cool Ahhh...horse show memories

Show season is wayyyy done here in western WA and I was reminiscing this morning about all the shows this past year. My favorites---->

Morgan Horse Shows have Happy Hour. They stop the show by 4, cocktail it up for about two hours then everyone gets back on and goes in for the evening session around 6. One friend stopped by the one in Monroe twice and arrived at Happy Hour each time. She was having fun and loved it but is now convinced that Morgan folks just go to party, they don't actually get on their horses and show LOL!!

The bad groom Xavier at the H/J shows. I would usually start hearing someone yell Xaviers name starting around 4:30 or 5:00 am. Seems Xavier does not like to get up early. He usually responds with some fresh Spanish after a few wake up calls (!!$@#$^# @%*&%@%!! *&^*&!@@ @%$ !!$! in Espanol). Xaviers name is always being called, by the head groom, the trainers, you name it. That guy was just mad at life all season. I got to meet him at the Emerald Classic, I had to leave a message for his boss and he took the note, glared at me and called me "puta blanca". I am starting to think from him it is a term of endearment LOL!! He got along really well with the small ponies though.

At the Arab shows, my favorite hot! hot! hot! male saddleseat rider who cruises around on a segway cheering and encouraging everyone on. I miss that guy There are days I could use a festive drive by on a segway.

Anyone else have fun show memories?
    Last edited by twotrudoc; Nov. 17, 2010 at 10:25 AM. Reason: I can't spell right now :)
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Your bit about Xavier had me rolling. I think we've all known a Xavier here and there.

Xavier is a very temperamental man
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I wish dressage shows had a break for Happy Hour. I think we would definitely see better scores after Happy Hour!
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.