The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vaquero trainers on East coast??

Hello All -

Does anyone know of a good Vaquero style horse trainer? They are mostly on the west coast - I love the vaquero way and would love to find a good, reputable trainer to send my 3 year old to soon. Preferably a ranch would be great!!

Thanks for any help!

See if you can find a contact for Phetsy Calloway Calderon; (I don't think she uses Calderon any longer). I seem to remember she moved from California to the East Coast. If she can't help you directly, she will likely have a good suggestion of who to consider. If all other contact sources fail, come looking for Phetsy on the usenet group rec.equestrian; she has posted there from time to time for well over a decade.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

ask on the Eclectic Horseman bb.

Where in GA are you? Can you suggest some names elsewhere who are the kind of person you're looking for?
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I'm around Gainesville GA but willing to travel to surrounding states as long as the trainer is reputable and has references. If you check out this website with Jeff Sanders - I love the way he thinks! If you look at the Training tab and go under "Time/Patience" - the way explains not pushing a horse beyond its capabilities to learn each lesson and on the Cow Work tab he explains a horse will retain the lesson longer if he's able to enjoy it rather than forced to learn. This rings true to what I believe is horsemanship!

I would really love a ranch so that the horse is able to be exposed to much more than just arena work.

http://www.modernvaquero.com/

Sent you a PM with a suggestion. Not strictly vaquero style, but the horsemanship is the same, and not far from your area.

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgiatrails View Post
    Hello All -

Does anyone know of a good Vaquero style horse trainer? They are mostly on the west coast - I love the vaquero way and would love to find a good, reputable trainer to send my 3 year old to soon. Preferably a ranch would be great!!

Thanks for any help!
    Don't know of any by name but would suggest you go to the NRCHA site and check out the regional/state affiliate clubs and the trainers....also check on their judges list as many of them are also trainers or have been.

I'm around Gainesville GA but willing to travel to surrounding states as long as the trainer is reputable and has references. If you check out this website with Jeff Sanders - I love the way he thinks! If you look at the Training tab and go under "Time/Patience" - the way explains not pushing a horse beyond its capabilities to learn each lesson and on the Cow Work tab he explains a horse will retain the lesson longer if he's able to enjoy it rather than forced to learn. This rings true to what I believe is horsemanship!

I would really love a ranch so that the horse is able to be exposed to much more than just arena work.

http://www.modernvaquero.com/
    have you seen his videos on youtube? there was one I liked so much I put it up on my blog. It's an excellent example of how useful these horses are and how quiet and responsive even the green ones are. Jeff is also on FB.

Monstrpony can you pm me too??? Pretty please???

Georgia Trails have you tried the Southeast Buckaroo Association? http://www.sebuckaroo.com/

My trainer is awesome but not Vaquero. She is from Texas and does a lot of ranch work with the horses she trains. She does not have cows yet but could haul to some. She is also starting the American Stock Horse Assoc. shows in our area next year. Let me know if you want her name.

http://www.brannaman.com/bbcspage.htm

Any of the clinic organizers for Buck can recommend a good one for you

Hello All -

Thanks for any help!
    that would only be Phestsy Calderon, she's in Shelby NC now...

I have her contact if you are serious, and not a stalker

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by spotnnotfarm View Post
    Monstrpony can you pm me too??? Pretty please???
    Done.

Spay and neuter. Please.

Thanks everyone!! I'll let you guys know what I find out. Seems like there are some great trainers around here.