The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dressage stallions that pass on a great walk

Several threads have recently mentioned the poor walks of many of today's most popular stallions.

So which stallions are out there that have and consistently pass on a really superlative walk?

Royal Prince, Bugatti, Tantris, Farewell III

I have seen quite a few Fabuleux offspring with super walks. Our filly by him has been getting 8.5-9 on her walk regularly. I actually think it's her best gait.

I second Fabuleux (I know of one and he has a super! walk). Farewell III also.

Bugatti for sure.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

I personally have had 2 Fabuleux, one Royal Prince and one Bugatti and they all had really good walks. I do agree that these 3 stallions produce really good walks on average.

Although, I would say that Fabuleux and RP do not produce much knee action at the trot, and Bugatti may not produce a lot of suspension (depends on mare). Thus, for some registries that like knee action, offspring of these stallions may not be as desired (as foals maybe?) because of the lack of "expression" up front. Under saddle, these guys produce a lot of shoulder freedom and I think that the offspring develop more expression once under saddle.

Default Don Principe

His offspring consistantly score 8.5 through 10 at shows(Donna Hall MF scored a 10 from Janet Foy,Delacroix MF scored a 8.9 at DAD)and his daughters have been given from 8.5 to 9 at Mare Inspections.
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

Quote Originally Posted by Edgewood View Post
    I personally have had 2 Fabuleux, one Royal Prince and one Bugatti and they all had really good walks. I do agree that these 3 stallions produce really good walks on average.

Although, I would say that Fabuleux and RP do not produce much knee action at the trot, and Bugatti may not produce a lot of suspension (depends on mare). Thus, for some registries that like knee action, offspring of these stallions may not be as desired (as foals maybe?) because of the lack of "expression" up front. Under saddle, these guys produce a lot of shoulder freedom and I think that the offspring develop more expression once under saddle.
    I agree with Edgewood. I have a Fabuleux 3 yr old who has a very good walk but her trot is very much as described above...very loose in the shoulder but with very little knee action. Her canter is amazing though...very uphill!

Best walks on or farm are on our Rubinstein/Argentinus mare and our Rohdiamont/Lamentos colt. They walk through their bodies with big overstep. The walks are pure with zero lateral tendency.

Have seen more than a few offspring by Harvard with very good walks and also off spring of Diamond Hit. Do hope the lesser trotting stallions with super walks, are not made obsolete by Licensing committees. There are already too few good stallions to turn to to improve walk.

(Furstenball has a super walk and my filly from this year also got that super walk, but it is too soon to say whether FB will reliably pass this on.)

But I would prefer a horse with 7.5 walk and regular rhythm over a horse with a big walk with a lateral tendency.

Also Comic Hilltop
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Another Fabuleux vote

I knew a Rohdiamant mare with an outstanding walk as well.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

I'm going to add Domiro. There have been many mares at the inspections that were scored 8 & 9's for their walks. They have big relaxed swinging walks with huge oversteps. NICE!

Liberty Gold is another one. The mares I've seen get excellent scores on their walk, again lots of 8's & 9's.

Also, I'll add to Fabuleux's vote. All of the one's I've seen have very good to outstanding walks.

Bonheur produces amazing walks - just like his own wonderful walk for which he received 9's.
    Sharon

In keeping with Garner Creek's report on Bonheur's walk, I find Brentano mares often have and pass on a good walk - which may be why the Sandro Hit / Brentano II cross has been successful (as per Poetin, Samarant, Samba Hits I, II, III and IV etc)

Fidermark's all seem to be good and they are easy to ride.
    A Welthrum that I had, possessed one of the best that I have ever felt but I am not sure if this is the norm? Can others comment?
    I second the vote for Harvard, he received 9's at Advanced Level for it and has seemed to be able to pass it on to lots of babies. In 2009 at the World Championships for Young Dressage Horses, his 6 year old son received a 8.9 for it in the Finals with Eurodressage labelling it as "one of the best of the day" which was an exciting “walk” moment for us.

Florestan - as they say in Westfalia - "always guarantees a good walk"

Another vote for Rohdiamant

Ruffian has an amazing walk that he passes on reliably. I put people on him just so they can feel a walk like that.

Tantris also puts on a very good walk.

I am crazy about good walks which is in part why I chose those two stallions

DownYonder is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks, all. Many of those stallions mentioned were already on my list.

As for Rohdiamant - we would so love to use him, but his frozen is worthless. He is also pretty close to infertile these days, so even breeders in Germany are mostly out of luck and are instead using sons like Rubin-Royal or Romanov (or his brother Royal Diamond if they want to chance getting a grey foal).

My 5 year old gelding by Distelzar has an amazing walking and he received excellent comments from the judges (including Axel Steiner) on his walk every test this year.