The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default inexpensive custom stable sheet

I figured this was a good question for hunter/jumper land I'm looking to get my horse a new stable sheet for shows, and don't want to spend an arm and a leg (less than $150, but the cheaper the better!). The only specification is that I want a fabric that won't have the entire stall attached to the sheet when the horse gets up from lying down (so no fleece or anti-sweat material). Anyone have any recommendations?

Take a look at Dover's "Dover Collection Stable Sheet." If any of those color combos work for you, or come close, they are a budget-friendly alternative to custom. I got mine on sale for about $30; it's no Clothes Horse or Blue Ribbon, but it IS very nice for the price (even at normal price).
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I think my Radon Sheet was around $100 or $120. I switched barns, so if you like dark green...

Either the Centaur Wool Dress Sheet (~$90) or teh Dover Wool Dress Sheet (~$70). Pick whichever has the color combo you want =]
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

Quote Originally Posted by pattnic View Post
    Take a look at Dover's "Dover Collection Stable Sheet." If any of those color combos work for you, or come close, they are a budget-friendly alternative to custom. I got mine on sale for about $30; it's no Clothes Horse or Blue Ribbon, but it IS very nice for the price (even at normal price).
    I ordered one of these from Dover and my DD's horse shredded it within days

I ended up getting a few from the Clothes Horse and while I don't remember how much I paid - it was worth every penny as they look as perfect today as the day I bought them!

Actually, now that I think of it - I think if you "friend" The Clothes Horse on Facebook today and place an order - you'll get 10% off the purchase price! Might be worth giving Katrina a call

Quote Originally Posted by ponymom64 View Post
    I ordered one of these from Dover and my DD's horse shredded it within days
    OK, so maybe it's an option only if your horses are not hard on their clothes... mine tend to be pretty easy on them (knock wood), but they also don't wear stable or dress sheets for extended, unsupervised periods of time.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by pattnic View Post
    OK, so maybe it's an option only if your horses are not hard on their clothes... mine tend to be pretty easy on them (knock wood), but they also don't wear stable or dress sheets for extended, unsupervised periods of time.
    He is very hard on his clothes but he was able to shred the Dover sheet in one evening - LOL!

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

JACKS MFG, cotton blend , med weight, your choice of trim color, body color, neck cut, monogram and open or closed front. Oh, it takes about 2 or 3 days to get. Who ever your local tack shop is can order from them for you. Around $120.00 retail unless you get real fancy with the monogram. This is a Stable Sheet not a dress sheet (cooler) so not wool .

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

Opps double post

I like Big Ds and they come in a nice heavy cotton. You can order custom colors, trim and piping. They come in under $150 easily. Because they are cotton, you should order up one size as they will shrink the first time you wash them.

They tend to run large in the shoulders, so if you have a narrow TB, the Big D might not fit. I found them to fit my WBs very well. I also LOVE the way they fit over the butt.

They are durable as all get out. I have several that are well over 10 years old.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Jacks are rather nice and hey, if they are good enough for Giant's Causeway, they are probably good enough for some hunter or jumper costing a few piddly million dollars, right, right?

(for realz, GC was wearing his Jacks stable sheet when we went to Coolmore/Ashford)
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Default Big D

A second for anything made by Big D. It's the only brand I use and have been using for the past 30 years. Love the "fitted around the butt". The cotton sheets are almost like a canvas, super high quality and heavy. Big D will do custom colors. Great for horses with big shoulders, as mentioned earlier. The styling always makes for a tidy look. Very popular with the western crowd. The nylon sheet are also fabulous.

As said above, if you are going with the cotton, order 1 size larger to allow for shrinkage.

By the way, Big D makes 2 types of necks now, the traditional and a new "english" cut, which come a bit higher up over the withers for the TBs and like types. And for those of you who like the turnout blankets that look like a painter's drop cloth (no seam down the back, essentially unfitted, etc), Big D started making this style as well a few years ago. Actually looking at the website, this is called an "english" blanket.

Another plug is that the vast majority of their product is made in Fairfield, CA. I prefer to support the local and US market. A lot of the blankets and sheets today are made overseas.

http://www.bigdblankets.net

I'd recommend Radon http://www.radoninc.com or Corcel http://www.corcelinc.com - I think the sheet material for Corcel is a little nicer (breathes better and shavings don't stick as much). Corcel just made me a Euro cut style fly sheet, it is pretty nice.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! The Jacks looks great if I could find a place to order it (I have one of their custom saddle pads and it's really nice). And Big D, Radon, and Corcel all look like they fit the bill too!

I'll third the BigD. Love them and don't use anything else unless forced to! They make this great nylon blanket that has a nylon on the outside - that nothing sticks to - and a softer nylon on the inside and in the middle is a wool lining. Perfect blanket for fall and early spring, and it is washable. We have the cotton sheets and All Americans as well. Have had them for years and they are good as new. Love the colors and the fit.

LeeB

I agree with you on the lightweight lined BigD blanket. My guy is currently wearing that model right now! I like that I can wash it in my home machine, which is a weekly endeavour as I happen to own the original pigpen. I think I have every type of blanket/sheet made by BigD. My good friend owns a tack shop. I like to tell her I am beta-testing BigD's products so she knows what are the best versions!

I like blankets/sheets that do not collect hair on the inside so that means a smooth nylon inside lining. That lightweight BigD is just super. Never have to worry about horse hair in the next wash load.

I like these sheets for the price.

http://www.greenhawk.ca/cgi-local/So...6ad+1289933782
    Proud Member of the "Tidy Rabbit Tinfoil Hat Wearers" clique and the "I'm in my 20's and Hope to be a Good Rider Someday" clique

I love Big D's too.Hard to get in eastern Canada.Any recomendations for tack shops that ship them?Thanks!

I'll send out another vote for Big D as well. I only have turn outs from them, but as far as I'm concerned, they are the only blanket company I've found that makes a REALLY good tail flap/rear end. Makes all other tail flaps look like a useless piece of material just hangin there.

And the showcoat liner they have in them - it really does make them glow.

For the folks who recommended Big D...I like the nylon material, but they look a little "westerny" in the photos (I think it's the leather reinforcement around the sircingle holes that makes them look that way). Do they look that way in person?