The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Experiences with Matt Mclaughlin?

I have an opportunity to participate in clinic with him. I have a young Welsh Cob who is green WTC and I'd like to have some help suppling him up so...

Experiences?
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

I've audited one of his clinics. I found him to be very down to earth, approachable. A classical approach to riding, easy to understand and apply techniques. We wanted to bring him out to us, but we just couldn't get the logistics (had enough riders, not enough stalls for people trailering in).

He works with a lot of baroque breeds- andy's, friesians... My friend has a cob who is baroque-y so if your horse is like hers, I think you would do well with him.

My friend rode her green WTC friesian in the clinic and they just worked on getting him forward, getting my friend to ask for aids correctly and clearly. He worked them away from people sitting so that the horse wouldn't get nervous.

He worked on other fun stuff with some of the upper level friesians...spanish walk, etc...fun to watch Matt train.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Okay so he does have the ability to work with greener horses. That's what I wanted to hear.

yes. at the particular clinic I audited he worked with this young friesian and he also worked with a young andy...
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Default We get Matt in about 3-4 times a year

I find him excellent and very good with young horses. Down to earth, approachable, easy to work with.
    At Cedar Creek he has worked with Knabstruppers, Fjords,Freisians, Andys, Arabs, Lusitanos, as well as all the 'normal' dressage breeds.

A good clinician, well worth his very reasonable fees.
    MW.
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

I have worked with him off & on for years (he moved away for a while). He has helped me take two average horses (one of which was a Welsh cob!) to FEI. He's my little Caesar Millan-best behaviorist I've met and excellent at teaching you how to train! Do it!

I have worked closely with Matt and consider him a good friend. He is ever the consumate professional--leaves all the political/snarky BS behind. I feel his true calling is working with difficult horses, but he excels just as well with greenies too!

His teaching style is very much involved interaction with the rider, you can easily discuss any concerns/problems with him about your horse. Instead of giving you short, punchy commands while you ride, he will have a conversation with you. So if you're used to the short-punchy style and that's how your brain works, his methodology may take some getting used to, at least that was my experience

Good luck and I know you will have fun!!!

I have been riding w/ him some recently; I would say definitely go to clinic and give him a try. I don't particularly like trying new trainers/clinicians but am awaiting my northern trainer's return for the winter. I was comfortable from the beginning; liked his calm and logical approach. My horse is not green, but I have a friend whose horse came to them very green and not so well behaved; they told me that but for Matt, they may have given up.

Thanks guys!

I think he is excellent. Some of my first real "dressage" lessons were with Matt, and I still think I learned more in those few lessons than I did for a long time after that.

Do it!