The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Grid mats suggestions

My horse is in/out 24/7. The area just in front of his stall serves as a dumping ground for the hay that he drags out of his stall. I have stuck some remnants from old stall mats there to keep the area a bit neater, but they can get slick when wet. I was thinking that I would like to put grid mat down there (the type that is filled in with stone dust). I only need to cover a 5' X 3' area. Anyone have recommendations for brands? Anyone know where it can be bought (as opposed to shipping) in the MA/RI area?

Thanks much!

Default Stable Grid

I installed Stable Grid (http://stable-grid.com) about 6 years ago in my stalls an around the entrances to the field. Easy to handle, easy to install, and wonderfully sturdy. You can modify it to fit any area. I like the draining features which really cut down on odors. This stuff really lasts and just needs a little bit of stone dust added every year or two.

Company is in Richmond, VA so some shipping would apply. Still, the product is great and not particularly heavy (like a rubber mat), so I wouldn't worry about shipping costs for the amount you want.
    Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

I just put these in all of my stalls.

They are 3' x 5' but only 1/2" thick so I don't know how they'd hold up for what you need unless you doubled them and plastic tie them together.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/equine/...-stall-2219045

Very helpful. I e-mailed for a quote on the Stable Grid.

I'm in WA State, so when I priced Stable-Grid, the shipping was crazy expensive. They were kind of embarrassed to give me the quote, as it was so high! We went with Hoof-Grid as that is available locally and I didn't have to pay for shipping. I'm happy with it so far in my dry paddocks -- but this winter will be the test, as it has only been in for a couple of months. There is also another one called EquiTerr that looks like a really good product. For me, the choice came down to price and the local availability influenced that greatly.

You guys are great. I have sent e-mail queries to all. I love e-mail--sometimes.

I don't think the rubber mats from TSC would do what you need -- you need something more stable, like the semi-rigid grid products (stable-grid, ecoterr, hoof-grid). At least, that's my opinion from the uber-muddy PNW!

Funny you should be asking about this sort of stuff just now, as I've been wracking my brain about where in heck I bought a few sections of perforated rubber mats maybe 4 years ago. Looked in my local TSC, nothing like it. Or on their website, go figure.

Mentioned it to a friend while at her farm, where I noticed similar stuff.

Huh, it probably came from, of all places, Home Deephole!! The sort of stuff you'd find in commercial kitchens... could be that's where I got my pieces, come to think of it!

I've had a piece of it near a gate in an area that's prone to getting very, very muddy, for said maybe 4 years ago, and it hasn't deteriorated. Which is why I would like to get more, because that muddy area isn't getting any smaller.

Just put down EquiTerr (aka Grassy Pavers) in from of O' Studly's door, where he LOVES to drag out his hay and eat while surveying his domain... then pee in it - UGH. Of course it also makes a big stinking hole eventually from scraping up the stinky hay and muck.
    About five wheelbarrow loads of crushed rock, a layer of EquiTerr about five feet by ten feet (out to where it's past his range) and then fill with more crushed - 5/8 minus is what we had in the pile. Now Studly has a very nice "front porch" and his tootsies are no longer in the muck! He was only offended for a day or so.
    Homesick Angels Farm
    breeders of champion Irish Draught Sporthorses
    standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
    www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com

Default somewhat related question

a local park built a parking lot which includes horse trailer parking. the parking lot ground is covered with grid mats filled w/ dirt and some grass growing through.

there have been few incidents now with horses slipping on the grid mats. have any of you experienced anything like that? is this related to insufficient amount of 'fill'?
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique