The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Market in the States for Mid Level Dressage Horse with FEI Potential

Just wondering if the market is getting any better/worse/staying the same. I have a horse being long term leased back in the States (woman had a family tragedy though so I'm unsure of the future of the situation...) until he is sold. I started marketing him last year with mostly unsuited people contacting me about him (he's not for just any adult ammy.... Downside to advertising to a specific group is he can be spooky and is a TB; upside is that he's fancy and maybe will do the GP with someone one day... his breeding seems to eliminate most Pros and the spooking most amateurs...). His ads have been long expired and I think I want to relist him sometime soon but wondered if people were shopping still.

Spooky TB is really hard to sell for the reasons you list. I'd actually market him towards talented young riders working with a good pro, that don't have the money to buy the same horse with warmblood papers (unless you are trying to sell him at the warmblood price, then that just won't happen her in the US).

Did you export him to the U.S.? At least being a European TB would be a big plus (marketing wise) over the JC (US) TB's unless the horse looks like a thin racehorse.

Best of luck in your situation!

Um, right now I think I have him priced at 1/2 what a warmblood would be with his training (based on what I was seeing on dressagedaily.com anyway). He is a JC TB but does NOT look like a TB. You would actually only know if I told you. Yes, he does need a young rider working with a pro; that would be perfect. Finding them on the other hand is another story...

Try www.dressagemarket.com. They have affordable listing prices, and have a newsletter sent to thousands of dressage people that have opted in.
    Welcome to my dressage world http://www.juliefranzen.blogspot.com/

I've been trying to sell a similar horse and having a similar problem. Only mine isn't spooky, she's small and tb (although looks/moves/acts like a small wb). Currently have her leased to a young rider that wants to be real competitive, but can't afford the horse to do it. I've tried pricing her all over the place, if I price her high I get interest from the serious dressage rider crowd (ammies and pro's, haven't had any young riders), but they mostly want a bigger horse it seems like. Then I dropped her price a ton and got all the less serious riders who think they want something with lots of training and fancy gaits, but then have a hard time riding it. Oddly enough, I get about the same amount of interest whether she is priced high or low, and more serious buyers at the higher price. The good news is, people are looking... the bad news is, buyers have LOTS of options right now and the right one for my horse hasn't come along yet! Good luck!
    Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
    Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
    Stories about our adventures:http://tbatx.wordpress.com

Well, my horse isn't small (16.3) but the "athletic spook" comment sure scares people off! I've had him 5 years (I think) and have never come off him so it's not that he's dangerous and is trying to toss you... it's just kind of anxiety provoking and maddening! I got all of the emails that started "Hi, I'm an older adult amateur that just started riding/just got into dressage and I'm looking for a solid citizen to take to schooling shows, trail ride, and maybe jump a few crossrails. Would your horse work?" It's really hard to make your ad reflect what the horse is without scaring off the people that could actually ride the horse. I had him priced higher... then my move to Germany was sneaking up on me... so I lowered it and found him a lease home (with an older adult ammy but she comes from an eventing background) and gradually just let his ads expire as we felt he was on the internet too long. I am not thinking of lowering his price again when I repost him since I am tired of being in limbo but don't know what kind of response that will get me either.

Quote Originally Posted by n2dressage View Post
    Well, my horse isn't small (16.3) but the "athletic spook" comment sure scares people off!
    See, that wouldn't scare me off at all. Knowing frequency of the spook would be one thing, but I would take a horse with an athletic spook over a true bolter or bucker any day. (My horse will do a spook/bolt 4 strides and stop himself - that counts as spook but not a true bolter to me.) Athleticism and ability can have some negatives associated with them, and because of my low center of gravity (thank you, abnormally short torso!) the spin/shoot out from under you type of spook moves are pretty easy to sit. I have no desire for a true bolter whose brain just shuts off as they take off with zero control, as I want a horse who performs under pressure rather than freaking out - and it's physically MUCH harder for me to move with a bucker than a spinner.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Yeah, I've never come off him so he's not trying to lose you during his antics. He's only bolted with me once (maybe 10 strides?) and it was fairly legit because a mail truck scared the bejeezus out of both of us. He went in a straight line and stopped fairly promptly while still in the arena. He's actually never bucked or reared at all. I just got bucked off a horse here this year and after that happened I decided the leaping around spook is much better!

I always heard from people that the spook he does was the price I was paying for having a talented horse.

I think it comes with having a high energy and sensitive horse. I think your market will be smaller simply because so many people either want a horse already doing FEI or they think a WB is the only way to go. That seems the easier way to go for anyone who can't tell a horse's potential on their own or doesn't have a trainer who can tell potential shopping with them, too. There are other reasons as well, but that perception will definitely limit interest most likely.

If I were looking for a horse at that level, yours would be the type I would want to look at. I don't enjoy the less forward and less sensitive type nearly as much, and do a better job both learning on and teaching a more sensitive horse. I also want a horse who needs to be worked nearly daily if not daily and will need turnout. I'm not at that level yet, but don't see it likely things will change as I get there. My current horse has taught me that, so when I look for my next horse with potential it will be a hunt for one who is either a TB suited for the job or a WB with a lot of TB blood.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Try re-wording your ad. Mentioning anything about spooking in it would make most buyers think that he does it a LOT, and that it would make him very difficult to work with. Since he's more on the side of the sensible pansy, just wait until they e-mail to explain that he may not be suitable because he is fairly sensitive and is a bit spooky for someone looking to just plop around and be taken care of.

Yeah, I don't have anything in the ad about him spooking. I say that he needs a "serious, motivated rider" and that he is being leased by an adult ammy but is not for a beginner. I do wait until they email and then I slide that spook info in there

Selling him might be asking a bit much right now since the woman that was leasing him had her daughter killed in a car wreck last week so first I think I just need to find someone to feed/ride him.