The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kent Farrington

I went to the Duke Childrens Classic Grand Prix last night and was really impressed by this rider! As I rarely ever go to the big jumper classes/shows I don't know a lot of riders by name, unless they are local riders or the REALLY big name people. THis guy rode three horses, all very different types and was ABSOLUTELY the smoothest, best riding one out there! He made everything loook SO Seamless and put those horses is EXACTLY the right spot each time, basically he got them there and said to the horse "its up to you now!" which is how it is supposed to be ridden. He did take first and second, can't remember where the third hrose finshed but it did have faults. Jsut curious about his background etc. I really found most of the other riders not terribly good, one junior that was really nice rider who made it to the jumpoff and a rider for Apex EQ center were nice, as was Fernando Cardenas, also making it back to the finals and winning the High JR/AO class right before the grand prix. But I told my little 10 yr old student when Kent came in and did the first fence to "watch this guy, he is the one to emulate"!

very handsome and very friendly!
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

He's a great rider, I haven't been to the grand prixs in a couple of years, but I think he won the last time I went to either UNC or Duke, forget which one, but he was 1st and 3rd or 1st and 2nd that year as well. I believe it was two years ago. He is very friendly and one of my friends is completely in love with him - claims he's the most gorgeous man on the face of the planet. I don't know about all that, but he is very talented and nice.
    "to live is the rarest thing in the world, most people merely exist."

Kent was a pretty big name in the big eqs back when he was a junior. He won the WIHS Finals in 1998 and the Medal Finals in 1999. I've always heard wonderful things about him, even back then!

Well cannot say about the looks, seemed to have a cute face from where I was sitting! BUT he is a fabulous rider! I love that kind of rider that is SO quiet and just makes it look like he is doign nothing up there!

Quote Originally Posted by alteringwego View Post
    very handsome and very friendly!
    and very single too???

I'm glad you mentioned Fernando, he's always been a good rider and excellent horseman. The people who have access to him as a vet are lucky.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Oh fernando did an EXCELLENT job with his horses! His GP horse on the first round had one of those "stick my back legs down between the rails of an oxer and then UH-OH its and OXER and jerk them back up moments"! It always amazes me when a hrose does that, and that they can realize the mistake and get those legs out before a rail coems down! His AO horse was REALLY nice!

Hunter14 Guest

Great Rider! And deff has some quality horses.

NorCal, SoCal, Hamptons, Grand Rapids, MI, soon to be Boston

He was a junior back when I was, and I saw him at all the shows. I have the clearest memories of him at the Detroit and Motor City shows -which no longer exist- so that makes me feel old! This was when Charlie Jayne was around 8 yrs old and doing the big jumpers, which was amazing to watch....ah the good old days.

Default Last night

Not only did Kent ride three last night in the Prix, he trained three more, one of whom was in the jump off!!! I supervised the schooling area, and it was pretty impressive to watch his 'team' get the job done. He is very professional and caring, and his 'team' knows what they are doing. His second horse in the jump off actually lost a shoe in the first round, but by the time he was ready for it in the jump off, his people had it put on and the horse warmed up on the flat and ready for him. Smooth machine. Nice people. Great horses.
    .........just call me Nana.

KF is out of the midwest and came up thru the Eq ranks about 10-12 years back.

IIRC he was not from a financially gifted background, never owned "the horse" and worked his butt off. Still does. Nice guy, sympathetic rider who can adapt to anything.

He was recently very well known with Upchikie (sp?) and just about ready to crack the International ranks, including consideration for the Pan Am games when they were down in Brazil. Horse was injured, have not seen it back yet.

Not a household name like some but KF is really pretty well known. Nice to hear he has some good rides lined up.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Kent rode Up Chiqui in a few classes at indoors this year. It must have been Syracuse, because I remember watching it online

I think Kent rode with Nancy Whitehead in the Chicago area when he was a junior. There was a story in Practical Horseman many years ago about how Kent would ride all the buckers with a western saddle. I think the interview was with Nancy, and she basically said that she would put Kent on and tell him to hang on until the horse was done! Apparently the horses would get it out of their system, and then start behaving better.

Up Chiqui just also won a speed class at WIHS. He won around 13 grands prix last year.
    Ride on!

Yep, Kent rode Up Chiqui at Syracuse. I was very impressed with both of them!
    Please consider adopting a horse from NY Sunshine Horses!

WEll he was really a class act in my book! Glad to hear he is so well thought of!

I remember Kent from back in his "Buster the Wonder Pony" days.

He's a lovely rider and a nice guy.

Kent Farrington is a wonderful and talented rider. Loves his horses, job and people. I remember him riding Madison a couple years ago and he was just amazing to watch. Defiantly soon to be household name. Maybe the Olympics are in his future?
    Proud owner of 2 Oldenburgs

Oh yes he was excellent!! Loved watching him ride. everything you said shawnee was going through my head also!!
    Reach for the moon, the worst that could happen is that you fall among the stars.

Kent & Up Chiqui are one of, if not my favorite pair to watch. Both very unique styles, but they get it done. Glad to hear they've been out and about together a bit this year, as I haven't seen UC myself for a while.