The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Our horse fell in the trailer today

My Mom, Aunt, and I went trail riding today. We were just starting out towards the place and we heard this loud banging coming from the trailer. My Aunt was driving and could sort of see my Mom's horse's head kind of bobbing against the screen. He is not by any means a kicker or pawer when trailering so she decided to pull into a golf course she knew was there. We all get out and she looks into the trailer and goes "Oh my God Irish fell down." We got the other two off (who had just been munching on hay, like they had no idea what was the big deal) and he was just laying there, not moving a muscle. His head was sort of sitting on the window, like twisted. I didn't look at him as I was sort of hysterical and holding the other two but my Mom said his eyes were just as sad as could be. My Aunt got a long lead rope and wrapped it around him and got him moved a little bit. His front legs were all tangled underneath him. As soon as she moved him a little he wiggled himself and popped up. He got off the trailer and was FINE! He had one little tiny cut above his eye. I have no idea who was looking out for us today but I feel like it was all of heaven. His legs had been underneath my Aunt's horse. It's amazing that he didn't get stepped on or panicked the other horses or any number of scenarios that could have happened. I would just love to know how he fell. Even more amazing, he got back on the trailer with very little coaxing. He also had to get onto that trailer again and then onto ours. So after falling, he got onto a trailer three times with very little problems!
    He is truly, truly an amazing horse. He's my baby, my first horse. My Mom trail rides him now. He's a 21 year old OTTB. We gave him some bute tonight and added it to his grain for the morning since we figured he might be sore. It's just still unbelievable to me.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Wow that is frightening...I am glad everything worked out for the best. He sounds like a really good guy.

You should buy a lottery ticket glad no one got hurt.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by skykingismybaby1 View Post
    Wow that is frightening...I am glad everything worked out for the best. He sounds like a really good guy.
    No kidding! If it had been my other guy, I think it might have ended completely differently. These Thoroughbreds have the best hearts!

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    You should buy a lottery ticket glad no one got hurt.
    Seriously! I feel like the luckiest person alive right now! I couldn't breathe easily until everyone was back home in their stalls though.

Wow, I'm so glad he was okay!

I only once had a horse fall in a trailer, and that was when I was like 14 and my pony fell, and it is still so scary to think of. She was in an old-school 4-horse straight load, fortunately in the back, but it only had a bar divider and by the time we found a place to pull off she was almost completely under the horse next to her, who was a notoriously bad hauler. Fortunately all of the equines handled it incredibly well and there were no injuries, and no one had any lasting issues. In fact her neighbor who had to carefully step around her and then load up again on a busy mountain road seemed to have learned a lesson and was a much better hauler in the future!

Like yours, we had no explanation. We had just finished a kind of strenuous show but not exceptionally so, and were going down a winding mountain road but slowly and she was used to that, but suddenly she just went down. Even the rider from our barn who was following us and alerted us by honking and flashing her lights (this was before just anyone had cell phones) had no idea why she went down.

It's still one of those images that immediately comes to mind when I think of my scariest experiences with horses (even though no one was hurt), along with hooves flailing against a blue sky (horse flipping on me) and another horse hanging upside-down with 3 legs tangled in a wire fence (miraculously he also only had superficial injuries, but my goodness did my heart stop when I saw it). Somehow seeing a horse totally vulnerable like that sticks with me more than any of the (thankfully rare) gory injuries I have seen.

Again, so glad everyone is okay!

So glad your guy was okay!

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

CosMonster, your story sounds even scarier, especially being on a road!
    Thought I'd include a couple pictures of my super star OTTB:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1410090105
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1410090105
    These are from last winter, he loves the snow
    These are the other two who were on the trailer:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1410090105 The grey is mine and the other one is my Aunt's QH

Quote Originally Posted by dghunter View Post
    CosMonster, your story sounds even scarier, especially being on a road!
    I thought yours sounded scarier, my pony was pretty clearly okay from the start, at least moving all 4 legs, and the biggest frightening part was backing her neighbor over her! And once we removed the divider, she had tons of room to get to her feet! AND we were relatively far off the road on one of those emergency truck pulloffs they provide on steep inclines to give runaway semis enough room to stop!

Just perspective I guess!

Ours was pretty scary! We can sort of laugh about it now but man when he wasn't moving My Aunt basically threw the other two horses at me and I just stayed the heck away so I couldn't panic anymore than I was. It's just a scary thing to have happen no matter what! Honestly one of the scariest moments of my fairly short life (I'm 21). I'll be giving him many more treats in the morning and doing a thorough once over to make sure he didn't get stiff/sore over night.
    I was picturing you guys on the side of the highway with cars rushing by

Oh my goodness..as I started to read your post my heart jumped into my mouth...so grateful everything worked out okay!!!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Don't worry...I'm 25 now so that was over a decade ago, so it's easy to laugh at now because no one was hurt! There's a reason I said specifically that the equines were great... I was useless, I managed to hold it together enough to coax my pony to her feet and off the trailer (and only that because she freaked when anyone else tried!), then spent the rest of the episode sobbing up near the truck! I pulled it together enough to load my pony again but cried pretty much the rest of the way home. And we even won highpoint that weekend! I still have that ribbon even though we won better ones, because I think that weekend exemplified her trust in me and mine in her.

My pony took about 30 seconds to show she was okay and it's a bit embarrassing to admit but it's still one of the longest 30 seconds of my life. Seeing a horse prone and confined like that is so terrifying.

It's amazing how they'll be so trusting as to get back on again, isn't it? My friend had her 4H GN t-boned by some moron running a red light- thankfully there were no injuries, despite serious enough damage that the trailer had to be hauled off by a tow truck. While awaiting another trailer to come pick them up, they had to stand on the corner of a very busy intersection at a gas station, with 2 women holding 3 horses! Second trailer pulls up, and all 3 horses load like champs, almost like they comprehended exactly what was happening.
    The best is yet to come

Similarly, I had a horse flip over in my slant load trailer. He was in the stall up by the tack room. Holy panic. His owner (my best friend) freaked. I went into robo-mode. Both horses on the trailer were OTTBs and they handled it like it was NBD.

Kind of makes me wonder what sort of things they've seen in the starting gate...

Edited to add - simc24, you are SO right about how willing they are to get back on. Crashed the truck & trailer a year and a half ago on a bridge. Short of the long story is that we wound up clipping the cement wall and then rear ending an Excursion. Left lane of highway in Roanoke. Truck's frame was bent in 2 places. My horse hit the tackroom wall so hard, he broke the welds. He had to be stitched up in the truck weigh station and then get back on our limping trailer to be towed to a farm by a passerby's truck until we could get a shipper to take him the rest of the way to Atlanta. He never questioned getting back on.
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

Hunter14 Guest

WOW. I also had a horse fall in the trailer a few years ago. Luckly she was ok just a few scrapes.

This happened twice with my TB mare, once in a straight load and once in a slant load. She went all the way down under the other horses in trailer. Very very scary, and I was lucky she survived both incidents.

My suspicion is that she slipped in her own urine going around a turn. Both times I was hauling without shavings on rubber mats. She always urinated right when she loaded.

Hauling her was a heart-in-mouth thing after that. I always made sure she had a lot of shavings under her, especially behind and she never fell again.

You were very lucky. It might be good to have your horse checked over by a chiropractor as these are the kinds of events that kind of mess them up.

In two days you horse will look a bit worse for the wear...
    Try to get some Arnica Montana in any form to soothe the aches and swelling.

Thank your lucky stars the Irish is not hurt...a bit o Braveheart there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark Farm View Post
    You were very lucky. It might be good to have your horse checked over by a chiropractor as these are the kinds of events that kind of mess them up.
    Yeah my Aunt suggested that too and we have a chiropractor who's done work on my other horse so we're going to have her come out. We figured with a fall like that something has to be out of whack! We're buting him again tonight and tomorrow morning since like most people in accidents, we figured the second day he would be more sore.
    We turned him out today and he trotted and cantered around and pestered his brother Hard to believe he had such a scary incident yesterday!