The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What do you wear to stay warm in winter??

Even when I muck (the activity that seems to keep me warmest while doing barn chores in freezing temperature) my hands are always cold. Guess I have bad circulation. Anyone with a good suggestion for gloves that are extremely warm but aren't too bulky for manual dexterity??

And what do you wear for layers, etc.? I definitely have to spring for a pair of fleece lines jeans - LL Bean or ? Carhartts maybe? I also think one mistake I've made over the years is wearing stuff that wasn't wind proof - I think that would've helped a lot.

I wish I could find a way to stay realllly warm with thin layers - I hate being all bundled up and MichelinManLike. SO uncomfy.
    Etc..... how do you all stay warm. My tolerance for cold is decreasing every year....
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Iride View Post
    Even when I muck (the activity that seems to keep me warmest while doing barn chores in freezing temperature) my hands are always cold. Guess I have bad circulation. Anyone with a good suggestion for gloves that are extremely warm but aren't too bulky for manual dexterity??
    Try some pocket hand-warmers. I sometimes put one in one glove, then switch it to the other glove when it gets too warm because it's been on the one hand too long. Alternate frequently.

i have a pair of insulated carhart bib overalls. They are the best thing EVER!! You can layer shirts/ tops underneath and the bib option leaves your arms from feeling confined. Yes, they are a bit MichelinManLike on the lower half but they are flexible enough that I have even ridden in them on super cold nights. There is no getting cold in those!

For hands I have a pair of those glove/ mitten combo things where the mitten part can be pulled won over your fingers or flipped up out the way when needed. They are also waterproof so no wet cold hands in the winter which is the worst!

In the winter, I use the same gloves I use in the summer, just add one of those knitted gloves that work as a liner.
    You may need a larger top glove for that, if your summer ones are tight.

For body warmth, I layer, because here we can go from very cold winds to balmy in minutes.

Ugh hate the cold. I use Toasty toes heat packs in my boots when i'm out for hours, like waiting for the farrier, etc..Two mittens on each hand, one inside the other, I wear those jackets that look like flannel on the outside and sheepskin on the inside and they zip up. they have hoods. I wear two, in layers and they don't keep me from moving freely, but they do keep me surprisingly warm. They each have a hood, so i put the hood up and maybe a knit hat over that. Good Luck, Stay Warm!

One trick I learned for warming up gloves without going for huge bulky gloves is buying a box of the surgical latex gloves and wearing a pair under your winter gloves. Holds in heat well and your hands never get wet.

Ski gloves work well for warm fingers, but it's like having sausage fingers. Can't do a thing in those.

Layering is warmest. But layer with good layers. Find sweat wicking layers because those help. Microfleece or silk are good. I personally like Hot Chilis. However if you go for wearing coveralls or overalls like Carhartts, a neat under layer is fleece lined leggings. That way when you take off the coveralls you're not in just long underwear. Plush makes them for less than $15 which is a hella lot cheaper than regular fleece long underwear. I find them as warm as my Hot Chilis.

Ribbed stretch turtlenecks are warmer than regular types. The necks don't gape open and they form fit for easier layering. Or more expensive but awesome are mock turtlenecks made by Nike. Microfleece inside and smooth outside so pet hair, bedding and hay don't stick all over you. But they run about $50.

Smartwool socks. About $15-$18 per pair but sometimes on sale and worth every penny. I wear those and pull on Muck Boots over them and can work outside in single digits all day long and never have cold feet or toes. And later in the house the Smartwools don't make your feet sweat.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Poly pro long johns...sometimes two pair....and a long sleeved top of the same. Baggy/ugly but fleece lined sweatpants. If not them then a pair of jeans over the long johns and a pair of Carharts....I use the overalls rather than the bib style...can get my hands inside the pants to jean pockets if there is need. Cotton T or two over the poly pro top, sweatshirt or long sleeved wool shirt and then the carharts over. I also use silk socks, then wool and finally cotton or use insulated boots. I drive a night time delivery route of 115 miles every night and for much of it my car window has to be open. I use a hooded sweatshirt under the carharts if possible or wear a ski type hat...used to have a "mountie" hat with the fold up/down flaps with rabbit fur....loved that hat...dog ate it....I nearly ate the dog!! I'd love to use ski clothes but they are way out of my budget at this point. I have to have my hands pretty free all night so want to wear stuff that I can drive with one hand and tuck the other inside to warm up. Around the ranch I use thinsulate lined leather work gloves...usually go through at least one and sometimes two pair a winter.

A tip....if your water tanks freeze and you have to get ice out....use good thick wool gloves and cover with a pair of the latex gloves for cleaning...those ugly yellow ones...keeps water off your hands and they stay warm.

I love my Carhart overalls. Unlike the coveralls, overalls can be adjusted to not give you penguin crotch and you can move your arms a lot more easily. They also come in three different insulation weights, and I'm fine with the thinnest (and most flexible) ones above 0F. It's amazing how much it helps to not have cold air running up under your upper body layers.

I wear a warm hat and some kind of neck gaitor to minimize heat loss from those two key points (hate turtlenecks or anything tight).

For gloves, I keep coming back to thinsulate-lined deerskin. I pretty much go through a pair per winter. They allow some manual dexterity--I can tack up a horse with them--and, unlike layered gloves, are easy to slip off and on. I did have a pair of glove liners that were great under my regular gloves in really cold weather or by themselves when it wasn't so cold.
    ---------------------------

I really like my smartwool long johns and socks!!! I also have a pair of lined ssg deerskin gloves.

I have silk long johns! THey are very comfy and breathe well!
    I also love my carhart coveralls. They are the best gift I've ever recieved!

I have trouble keeping my hands warm too. I can't do anything with gloves on, so I'm constantly taking them of...
    Last edited by LovelyBay; Nov. 13, 2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: spellinh
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Patagonia expedition weight long johns. Smart Wool socks. Ariat thinsulate paddock boots. A hand knit alpaca wool hat. Glove liners.

Gotta agree with the SSG thinsulate lined deerskin gloves. I buy a pair of Ranchers every other year. I think they're either $30 or $40. I can get 2 seasons out of them tops before the thumbs wear through. But I'm brutal on my gloves. And I can find them small enough that I don't have Mickey Mouse hands. They're the easiest to do things with, but still not as thin as I'd prefer. I have little hands and their smallest size is still a size too big for me. But again, I have really little hands. I wear a 4.5-5 ring size. Creepy little hands.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I have an old ski suit I wear if I'm going to be stuck in the barn for hours. It's warm without being so bulky that I can't move. It's designed to be worn over sweatpants or some other clothing (since most people want to be able to take the suit off in the lodge for the drive home.)

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I'll say it again:
    Polarfleece is your BFF

Lightweight for layering and uber-warm without being sweaty.

I prefer heavy sweatpants as an outside layer, I find jeans too confining/inflexible for barn chores.
    I have a 6yo pair of polarfleece sweats that sadly may have to be tossed this year as the crotch & knees are thinning
    Hot Chillys leggings or some similar technofabric underneath.
    Also lightweight & non-clammy.

I like a true T-neck not a mock so I can unfold for extra face protection.
    Polarfleece layer over that & I am good to go. For frigid weather I have a Thinsulate-lined microfiber jacket.

For hands I buy a pair of glove liners - same fabric as the Hot Chillys - to wear under those cheapo stretchy Magic Gloves. Toasty warm and flexible enough to buckle a throatlatch.
    For some reason I trash the glove liners yearly - the finger seams pop. At $10 a pair I wish I could find some that would last longer.

This year my barn boots are a pair of Timberland Pros I scored for $18.
    Right now I am going barefoot in them (and not getting sweaty feet).
    when it gets really cold I'll add a pair of those fuzzy shiny socks you can get cheap everywhere (Kmart, Target, Walmart) - they are superwarm & washable.

On my head a TSC Thinsulate-lined stocking cap. I may look like a Dork but I am warm
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Gotta agree with the SSG thinsulate lined deerskin gloves. I buy a pair of Ranchers every other year. I think they're either $30 or $40. I can get 2 seasons out of them tops before the thumbs wear through. But I'm brutal on my gloves. And I can find them small enough that I don't have Mickey Mouse hands. They're the easiest to do things with, but still not as thin as I'd prefer. I have little hands and their smallest size is still a size too big for me. But again, I have really little hands. I wear a 4.5-5 ring size. Creepy little hands.
    Creepy little hands Laughing with you, not at you

Quote Originally Posted by tasia View Post
    Creepy little hands Laughing with you, not at you
    Shall we start the Creepy Little Hands rock opera?

LOVE my carhart overalls, in fact I use them at shows on cold days (yes I'm THAT stylish....hey, least I'm warm).

Also the mountain horse extreme weather riding pants.

Layer my top half as with a warm bottom half I over heat.

Ariat insultated boots seem to be working on feet so far,
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Hands: gloves that are NOT TOO TIGHT. That is absolutely, positively the key IME.

Feet: wool socks and (I love these) Ariat Barnyard H2O insulated boots. Unbelievably warm!

Everything else: fleece-lined jeans are wonderful. I hate layers, but do wear them--I much prefer cotton next to my skin but on top of that I'm a big fan of tech fabrics.

And those chemical hand warmers are great--you can buy gloves where you can zip them right into the glove. Thanks to the Ariat boots I mentioned, I no longer need them for my feet, though!
    Click here before you buy.

I love the hand warmer packs but my fingers always stay cold while my palms get toasty