The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Merhow FRP trailers?

Anyone have a Merhow fiberglass reinforced plywood trailer?

I've found one online but I've not heard of this before and I'm wondering about it.

Sounds like it is very lightweight- good thing I just bought a 3/4 ton truck!!

They were very attractive back in the day - FRP is not lightweight but sounds like your truck is fine - check the trailer carefully for signs of rot, where anything is attached, along the inside bottom of the walls, where window placements were cut - depending on the composition of the wall board that was glassed and how the trailer was cared for there could be no rot, a little rot or a lot - any soft bubbles on the walls is a sign of rot - check also if the trailer has camper type doors for escape and or dress door, grab the door bottom of the door frame to see if it is rotted, that would be common. New camper type doors are expensive. If in doubt have a trailer repair shop check it out for you
    Risa
    happytrailstrailers

Make sure you have someone check the ramp and doors above ramp. I hated my Merhow because the doors were always flying open and the ramp may have been the cause of it. I would also look at the walls, mine were buckling. I had it for 5 years and finally gave up and traded it for a Kingston.

edited to add that a couple of my friends had the same problem with the doors
    Humans don’t mind duress, in fact they thrive on it. What they mind is not feeling necessary. –Sebastian Junger

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL! I just had to replace my Merhow BP due to the FRP walls. The rain came in through the seam near the roof and eventually rotted the walls to the point the trailer was no longer safe to drive. I did a lot of research to see if it could be repaired; it can, but it is difficult to do. It cannot be safely fixed by a simple fix.

I personally know one other person this happened to; apparently there were some design flaws in these trailers and this was a fairly common problem.

Just to underline what grinanride said: This isn't necessarily a light trailer. IIRC, Merhows tend to be heavy for their size.

Your 3/4 ton will probably be enough for the job unless you are talking about a 4-horse or similar.

You can easily find the weight of the trailer on the manufacturer's tag containing all kinds of "vitals info" which will be near the hitch.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

The weight on the 2 horse GN is said to be just under 2500 lbs. I'm looking at driving about 4 hours to go see it... not sure I wouldn't be better off passing on it...

It really would not be possible for the Merhow to weigh 2500 - more like 3800 at least to 4200 ( tongue weight included ) - your truck should be fine unless it is very old - ask for lots of up close photos before you take the trip -
    Risa
    happytrailstrailers

Quote Originally Posted by grinanride View Post
    It really would not be possible for the Merhow to weigh 2500 - more like 3800 at least to 4200 ( tongue weight included ) - your truck should be fine unless it is very old - ask for lots of up close photos before you take the trip -
    Risa
    happytrailstrailers
    Oops- just checked again- they're saying 2825. Risa, would you mind if I PMed you the link I'm looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    The weight on the 2 horse GN is said to be just under 2500 lbs. I'm looking at driving about 4 hours to go see it... not sure I wouldn't be better off passing on it...
    Quote Originally Posted by grinanride View Post
    Risa
    happytrailstrailers
    This might be apples and oranges.

My 3/4 ton very old diesel does a fine job with my 3,500# (empty) DR 2H bumperpull plus all I'd care to put in it and my truck for 2 horses at a 5 day show.

#2850 sounds light for a 2H gooseneck and remember that you can load a lot of weight into those. If you have a gasoline engine that's not something like a big V-10, you might be hurting.

Other posters give great advice about what to look for in terms of signs of rot. If the trailer worked for my plans and truck, I guess I'd go see it in person before I'd ask for pictures of relevant parts.

I like to keep my vehicles forever, so I have driven more than 4 hours to go look at trailers that seemed promising.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Epona - you have a PM
    Risa
    happytrailstrailers