The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Reasonably Priced Boarding Near the Main Line in PA?

Hi!
    I'm looking for somewhere near Villanova to board one gelding at a reasonable rate. Indoor preferable but not necessary. Any ideas?

Define 'reasonable'. closer to Philadelphia, $1K a month is probably not bad. Farther away and you will get lower rates for the same amenities.

Here is a list of some places near your area:
    http://www.horse-riding.net/horsebac.../Pennsylvania/

How far are you willing to drive? what is your ideal max distance to drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    Define 'reasonable'
    Please.
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

I'd be willing to consider anything, because I have no ideas at this point, as I'm not originally from here. Basically, anything under $1,000, but as long as the quality is there, obviously the cheaper the better.

umm..Summerbank in Radnor has 1 stall I think @ $750.?
    Nice indoor not outdoor.

Susie Beale may have an open stall @ Radnor Hunt club barn.No indoor.

This was a long time ago but when I was in college in that area I contacted the local pony club and found a stall at a private barn for the term. I had to do all the work, and for a while also care for their pony, but it made having the horse there affordable.

I don't know what the neighborhoods are like anymore but at that time there were still a few back yard barns.

Depending on how far you are willing to drive, Cochranville, PA is about 45 min away.

Fox Crossing Farm has an Indoor with jumps and two outdoors without jumps as well as a cross country field. I *think* the boarding is around $500/month, but don't quote me on it - I just use the indoor on occasion (and once in a while, the cross country field). I cannot find their website right now, but here is their location and contact information:
    http://www.localequineservices.com/i...=106&Itemid=32

The farther away from Main Line you go, the lower the price for the same amenities.

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    umm..Summerbank in Radnor has 1 stall I think @ $750.?
    Nice indoor not outdoor.

Susie Beale may have an open stall @ Radnor Hunt club barn.No indoor.

Summerbank does still have room and has undergone a thorough sprucing up. Definitely the best bang for your buck.

There are small places around the area that take in boarders. Check out the Marketplace section of Radnor Hunt Pony Club:

http://www.radnorhuntpc.org/

Since these places don't have their own rings you just need to purchase a "ring key" from pony club and then you have access to all of the facilities: dressage ring, lighted ring, cross country fences.

I may know of another co-op that has room & its own ring if you are interested. Send me a PM if you are interested. I also have the contact info for Summerbank but I believe it is also on the PC web site.

Sarah McCracken runs a few small barns around the Radnor area - I believe she has room in at least one of them. I can give you her # as well.

There are reasonably priced places - you just have to look for them. Depends if you want full or field board too.

I believe that boarding with Susie will put you over your $1000 limit.

Check out Horse of the Delaware Valley's classified listings (which are on their website as well as in the hard copy). You might find something.

If you want more specific suggestions, then it might be helpful for you to give more information about what you want. I know you said indoors are not necessary and that your price range is <$1000. Do you want field or full board? Self care? Hacking? What is the furthest that you are willing to travel? Do you need a trainer on site? Does it need to be an eventing barn? Would you be OK at a private farm? Can your horse go out in a herd? Do you want a certain peer group (junior riders, adult ammies, etc)?

Obviously the more criteria you have, the more limited the search, but you could list your needs and then add your preferences. What one person thinks is the perfect barn may not fit your needs.

Also, your willingness to commute to the barn will be a big factor because, as Ajierene mentioned, Chester County has more options and board can be cheaper depending on the amenities and location of the farm. If you are interested in that area, do a search for past threads because questions about boarding in SEPA seem to come up in the forum about once per month.
    Last edited by VicariousRider; Nov. 13, 2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: spelling and clarity
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Alliquippa is another option, though not sure of current rate. They do have an indoor http://alliquippastables.com/, www.comstables.com (Susie's place at Radnor)
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!