Our latest arrival is 3-legged lame from an untreated wound, dating at least as far back as August. His leg is non weight bearing (well, okay, a tiny bit) and hard as a rock in the injured area. Feels like a tree trunk, hot, swollen and hard.
The vet was here yesterday and he was sooo good. He probably got a dozen various shots and did not object too much.
I was expecting pus/blood/someting to come out, but nothing did. It's all cellulitis.
Has anyone delt with that?
Vet was great, left us a page long series of instructions, and horse is a real trooper.
I won't go into too many details as to how he came to this point, as this was an Animal Control seizure just a couple of day ago. I hope he pulls through - he is such a sweetheart and even on 3 legs, comes to greet you at the gate.
Oh, poor boy! I have dealt with it a couple of times, but we've always caught it early. Antibiotics, steroids, and bute. My vet recommends warm hosing 20 min a couple of times a day to increase circulation. Also standing wraps. Exercise is also good, as soon as he is able. But I'm sure all that is on your list of instructions Best of luck!
Get. Antiobiotics. Pronto. And Bute/steroids for the swelling. Bute is fine for caught early/need steroids if it is bad.
The bigger danger than the cellulitis itself (which is nasty enough on it's own) is that if it gets worse the skin will blister and slough off presenting a huge infection control risk and may need to be surgically debrided. If it has been going on that long there may already be an infected channel that would need debridement.....i
On a case that bad you need steroids. I assume serum is starting to seep through the skin? This horse is at risk of major skin damage, possibly bursting the skin, and permanent lymphatic system damage. And of course the horse MUST be on antibiotics (strong ones, not smz's) while on the steroids. How high was the fever. If 102 and under then this has most likely already progressed to vasculitis (requires steroids/ diuretics). Very hard to say though, since you don't know how long he has been battling this.
Best of luck and thank you for taking care of this poor horse. He looks like such a sweetie!
There was a tiny bit of seepage and vet took a culture, as the horse has already been on 2 rounds of antibiotics (Animal Control was going out daily in the field where he was to administer) with no apparent results.
The vet that came was very thorough, but also quite puzzled. Of course, the horse also needs rest and proper food and water, which he was not getting before. When they went and seized him they literally had to coax him with WATER to get him down the hill to the trailer.
I just gave him his second dose of Excede (IM antibiotic.) Vet gave him the first one when she was here.
I was a bit nervous about giving him the shot as I was by myself (no one to hold him.) I have been giving him his Banamine injections, but this stuff was THICK!
He was a perfect gentleman and stood very patiently while I slowly injected the stuff in his neck.
It breaks your heart that he is such a gentle and willing horse. He has put up with a LOT since he's been here (and before that of course.)
Amazing how resilient and trusting these animals can still be after what they have suffered!